Keep going over in protein...

Options
Does anyone else have a hard time staying with in your limit of protein? I can not seem to keep it under the 'suggested' amount. How do you cut back on protein? Any comments or thoughts is appriciated. Thank you!!

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it. Protein is good. MFP's recommended protein is set low to begin with. you're better of going into your settings and changing it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    How many grams are you eating? 1/2g per pound is enough for most recreational exercises.

Are you satisfied with your good choices? Hungry? Lacking energy? If you're satisfied then ignore the suggestions below.

If you're eating at least that much then round out your meals--have a slice or two of whole grain toast and a serving of fruit at breakfast time.

Have brown rice or quinoa stir fry with veggies and lean protein for lunch and dinner.

Snack on nuts to get more fats into your diet.

Have olive oil on salads and veggies--more healthy fat.

Add avocado to salads or sandwiches.

Have smaller servings of meat.
  • kbf2107
    kbf2107 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that I actually have the opposite problem. I visited my nutritionist two days ago and she wants me to eat around 80 grams of protein a day. What kinds of foods do you eat that put you over?
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...protein is good for you and the MFP's recommendation is way too low (or at least is was for me). I changed my balance to be 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    KB F - I start out each morning with Kashi Go Lean Cereal and Skim milk. Big protein plus first thing in the morning.
  • lindseybyrd
    Options
    Turkey burgers/ brautwerst have a ton of protein. Make sure to watch sodium with turkey products!! Sometimes it's better to get lean ground beef than turkey. But I eat Johnsonville turkey brautwurst (not precooked b/c of sodium is lower). Also, brussel sprouts have good protein. I also eat Kashi go lean Cinnimon Harvest cereal with Almond milk (unsweetened vanilla is my fav).
    I am going over in my protein about 4 - 11 grams. I can't cut back on to much because I am still in the 'large' catagory and need the calories. ( I have a hard time getting up to the suggested calorie count).
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am over the protein every day! I try to focus mostly on my calories...then the sodium and cholesterol
  • lindseybyrd
    Options
    @ kbf2107 - Try non-fat plain Greek yougurt it has a lot of protein 22gs in one serving. Use it like mayo, sour cream, or cream cheese. It is a little bitter at first but you will get used to it :)
    Options
    Turkey burgers/ brautwerst have a ton of protein. Make sure to watch sodium with turkey products!! Sometimes it's better to get lean ground beef than turkey. But I eat Johnsonville turkey brautwurst (not precooked b/c of sodium is lower). Also, brussel sprouts have good protein. I also eat Kashi go lean Cinnimon Harvest cereal with Almond milk (unsweetened vanilla is my fav).
    I am going over in my protein about 4 - 11 grams. I can't cut back on to much because I am still in the 'large' catagory and need the calories. ( I have a hard time getting up to the suggested calorie count).

Fat is your friend..avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, and hummus. Great additions to your diet that will get healthy fat and calories in without making you super full.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising, it's not a problem- you need more. Fat/sugar/cholesterol are problems, not protein. I go over always on protein and am still losing weight.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    add fruit to the plain greek yogurt or add some to frozen fruit/almond breeze(40 cal) for a delicious shake!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...protein is good for you and the MFP's recommendation is way too low (or at least is was for me). I changed my balance to be 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

This is what my nutritionist recommended for me. Occasionally I still spike on protein, but not by very much
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I eat more calories in protein than anything else. MFP doesn't set to that level. I adjusted my goals manually to show a higher protein goal for myself.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I do the 40/30/30 and still go over on protein most days. I'm almost at goal and that makes me happy.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry. protein helps boost your metabolism, and doesnt turn to fat!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I have this problem but my problem is I have a hard time keeping it from going too high! My goal is 227 - 230g per day and If I'm not careful I can easily get 300+ grams.

If you need protein, here's what I recommend.

Make a meatloaf using 2 lbs of 99% lean ground turkey, shredded carrots, onions, oatmeal and an egg (spice however you like) This will yield a 3.5lb meatloaf which you eat for dinner the night you make it and provide leftovers for the next day or two.

Make a cheesecake using the recipe found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/461619-ny-cheesecake-morph

Who would have thought!

Those are the two of the easiest and best recipes that I have for high protein, low fat and moderate carbs.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Why worry protein is a good thing -

http://www.fitness-nutrition-weightloss.com/the-importance-of-protein-in-your-nutrition-plan.html

Protein consumption is critical for the proper functioning of the body. Protein within the body's cellular structures is being continuously destroyed. As a result, we need to consume protein in our diets everyday to replace the destroyed protein structures. When we eat protein, the body metabolises the whole protein structure, breaking it into amino acids. The body then uses these amino acids to repair and replace destroyed protein structures. If we don't eat enough protein to repair destroyed proteins, our bodies will metabolise our muscles to provide protein replenishment to our vital organs.
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have exact same problem. I am always over on my protein. Sorry I don't have any suggestions to lower it.
    Options
    i wouldnt worry. protein helps boost your metabolism, and doesnt turn to fat!
    not true. anything in excess turns to fat--including protein.

if eating protein in excess is compromising your consumption of healthy fats, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains then it is problematic. period. there are MACROnutrients for a reason. that's because an efficient body will use them all and a varied diet will ensure that you are getting a good supply of vitamins and minerals.
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can eat more protein than the recommended amounts. If your body doesn't need it or is too much at one meal, it usually doesn't absorb it from your digestive tract and it goes out as waste. Small amounts of excess protein that are absorbed are handled by your kidneys, which is undesirable if you have kidney problems but not a big deal for most people.