Ab workouts...

Options
Anybody have good ab workouts/exercises that they do? I'm seeing overall weight loss and toning, but can't seem to tone my midsection! It's driving me crazy! Any advice or tips would be great!

Replies

• chameleon73
    chameleon73 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack. It is a 30 minute DVD workout. Getting good results.
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    wii fitness plus hula hoop and torso twists
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Agreed, 6 Week Six-Pack is great - there are two levels, so you can move up as you get stronger. One of my favorite workouts and definitely works your core, and makes you feel all kinds of muscles you didn't know you had!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ab ripper X from P90X is great. but ab exercises will not "tone" your stomach. Everyone has a 6 pack under the layer of fat and you cannot target fat loss. Ab workouts are good to strengthen the core but will not help you lose the fat there or see the muscle underneath. Abs are made in the kitchen (if you are in a caloric deficit you will eventually lose fat there)
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The P90X ab ripperx is incredible, it's only 13 minutes 1-2x a week. I love it!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am doing 6 Week 6 Pack with Jillian. It is awesome
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Russian twists. I do them with an 8lb medicine ball, but you can use anything. hand weights, a milk jug, anything. just be sure to keep your hips up, like you could set a drink on your pelvis. Learned these with my therapist and it is an amazing workout!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvZizxZCOlLiJVudfdpyQi-sbvPcNXxfDWjCfcKeGpPRubCkdd
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    12 minute (or 16 if you do 4 rounds) core workout 50 seconds on 10 seconds rest, go through it 3 times:

Knee tucks
    Plank and hold
    Squat and lift leg
    Mountain climbers
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking of posting something similar- I've got my calories in check, now have to start targeting specific areas. I will be trying out those Russian twists! they look they could hurt ;)
  • pethead30
    pethead30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ab ripper X from P90X is great. but ab exercises will not "tone" your stomach. Everyone has a 6 pack under the layer of fat and you cannot target fat loss. Ab workouts are good to strengthen the core but will not help you lose the fat there or see the muscle underneath. Abs are made in the kitchen (if you are in a caloric deficit you will eventually lose fat there)

Couldn't agree more. You can't 'make abs'. You can however change your diet and increase your fitness level. Eventually you will see them appear - avoid all the gimmicky training programs to get abs quick. I incorporate about 60 crunches three times a week into my routine, along with a few other exercises to keep my abs tight, but the key is a good balance of cardio and strength training.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Anybody have good ab workouts/exercises that they do? I'm seeing overall weight loss and toning, but can't seem to tone my midsection! It's driving me crazy! Any advice or tips would be great!

Squats and Dead-lifts
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more. You can't 'make abs'. You can however change your diet and increase your fitness level. Eventually you will see them appear - avoid all the gimmicky training programs to get abs quick. I incorporate about 60 crunches three times a week into my routine, along with a few other exercises to keep my abs tight, but the key is a good balance of cardio and strength training.

Agree, but women have a higher body fat % than men so it is harder for us to get there.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Planks, side planks, bird dogs for core stability. I also like visits, bicycles, superman. I like to max calorie burn, so I will pick a few exercises that target all around my core ( front, sides, back), do them one after another with minimal rest, then repeat for a total of 2-3 sets. If you want, pick one more set of exercises and repeat. Good luck!