gym or home?

Options
I have a crosstrainer at home but Hubby thinks I should pay lots of cash to join the gym. Dont want to join and not use it, but may be motivated more at the gym. Handy using home equipment though to fit in with busy work schedule. I dont know.....HELP

Replies

• BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do both!! The classes at my gym are fantastic, and included in my membership (definitely worth it). I've joined a running club that trains at my gym. They have every possible machine I could need. Gyms are definitely worth it if you can afford it. That being said though there are many great workouts you can do at home. But your body will get used to your workouts if you only do one thing, so make sure to switch up your routine and include variety weather you workout at home or at the gym!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have no money, so home.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I do both. I run or wii at home. I do classes at the gym.
  • xynext
    xynext Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have equipment at home and a club membership, I use the membership more. But it is nice to have something at home if I want to do just a few minutes on a bike or some weights.:love:
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do both but I find that I use my Y membership more because I feel I have to get my money's worth. The at home stuff (JM DVDs and elliptical) are great for days when I don't have time to go to the gym or if I just want to sneak in an extra exercise session.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you're happier at home on the X-trainer and it's working for you, then why waste money on a gym membership you might not use or enjoy as much - unless he wants to join you and you workout together?

I joined a gym to go swimming... our local pool is ok, but I wasn't happy with the changing facilities and the gym I joined has a lovely pool, nice changing rooms/showers and if I am so inclined (which is practically never) I can use the gym upstairs too.

Doing what you want on your own terms is what's important! :happy:

PS: cute pup by the way! :love:
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I like home. I enjoy my DVDs and run either outside or on my treadmill. The only reason I might like a gym membership is for aerobics classes. Home is easier with my kids though anyways for now.
  • theOtherAtlantaPiper
    Options
    Home gym, great treadmill, spin bike, resistance bands at 3 levels attached to the wall, exercise ball and weighted ball, dumbbells, surround sound, dvd, lcd tv, bose/ipod, huge wall mirror, dimmer lights...so nice. :smile:

Also, classes from different places, not a gym
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I prefer home gyms - body weight exercises.
    http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/index.html

I won't waste time or money on a gym membership again.
  • becky2967
    Options
    home, i can do all my exercise from there, lots of dance and i do love a bike ride and a walk. i am fair bit muscley so ive never decided id need a gym, if i lose some of that in the process i'll buy weights rather than go gym, i think different things suit different people, being a carer and full time mum i never have time to do anything away from home!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I like the gym because its a change of pace from work or home, but I have some equipment at home if I am busy or don't feel like going out.

I only pay $45 per month for New York Sports Club, if you can't get that good a rate, you can try your local Y. Many have been renovated to compete with good gyms and they let you pay what you can afford.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My wife and I used to belong to a gym. I hated it. Spent an hour there several times a week, the people who were in shape (including some of the staff) so OBVIOUSLY looked down on those where weren't in shape but trying to get there, and despite all the work, I felt like I got ZERO results.

Now I work out at home. It's MUCH cheaper, much more convenient, the atmosphere is much better, and in @ 8 months I've dropped 62 pounds.

It would be a fallacy to say that gyms are worthless, but it's just as much a fallacy to say that working out at a gym is better than working out at home. If you're comfortable at home, stay there. And if your husband feels that you have extra money to throw away, you can always send it to me instead of a gym membership! ;-)
  • chaswvmama
    Options
    I have tried both, and years ago settled on a home based workout. I just found it difficult dealing with waiting to use equipment at the gym, the sweat and hair the guys using the gym would leave on the equipment, and eventually even getting in my car started seeming like a chore! A Nordic Track and Sole Elliptical Trainer have been my mainstays at home; uptempo music, usually old Motown stuff, help keep me motivated. Both pieces of equipment are a little pricey, but equivalent to gym membership and much more convenient.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Why does he want to you to go to the gym? If he wants some company while he is there, you should consider it. If he's just trying to get you out of the house, that's another story.

Personally, I thought that going to a gym would be nice because there are fewer distractions, but honestly working out at home is a thousand times better. I don't have to remember to pack clean socks, because there are ten pairs right there and ready to go. I don't have to worry about when I take my shower, because it's my shower, and it's right there. I don't have to worry about walking to my car in the dark or locking up my stuff... I can work out 24/7 if I want to.

I like to work out at home with resistance bands, which are cheap and effective, or a yoga mat, or a DVD or with dumbbells or a jump rope... I don't need expensive equipment to get a lot of variety in my workouts.

I like to get started on my workouts right after my husband leaves for work so I can be alone and then I take my shower and to go my job. It's much more convenient than a gym.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I need the gym to stay motivated. There are too many distractions in my house but if I'm at the gym, it's all business. I'll still workout at home once in a while (simple stuff like abs & we do have some weights and an elliptical) but my serious exercise takes place at the gym.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a compact eliptical at home for when I'm not feeling like going out, but also have a gym membership since i like going to the classes that they offer.