Core Strength...I have none

Options
So two years ago I not only gave birth to my son but I had back surgery the day after to fix a herniated disk. So needless to say I have no core strength left! I was wondering what is the best type of exercise to increase the muscle strength in not only my back but my stomach? I can not do traditional sit ups at this time due to pain in my low back and physcially I can not do them I don't have the strength. I do have some yoga dvd's but I have a hard time with them at this point too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!!!

Thanks
Audrey Louise :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase core strength in my opinion is by doing compound exercises like squats, lunges, deadlifts, bent over row, chin ups or knees to elbows, bench press, shoulder press, etc..

I hardly do any isolated abs unless I am doing a quickie Tabata workout (4 minutes tops) and that might be 2x a week. Mostly I just work my abs in with my compound exercises, lifting heavy of course!!!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    planks and pushups are great for your core.
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm with the previous posters, I usually work my core while working all the other muscles. I would consider trying some standing core exercises (yes they exist) and maybe talk to your doctor about how to begin strengthening your core if you are in pain and have had surgery in the past you may have to go about it in a different manner.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Pilates...it is all about core strength. However, I mean go to a real instructor, not DVDs since there is a right way and a wrong way. A good instructor will be able to show you different ways of doing things that work around your injury and will eventually strengthen your core. I have had people in my class with frozen shoulders, bad backs, knees replaced, etc. and there is a workaround for almost everything.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I started doing leg lifts and situps while laying in bed. Helps take the pressure off the tailbone.
  • newlife4good
    Options
    Hi Audrey, I had a spinal fusion and disk replacement of the L5- S1 back in 2008. My spine Doctor and his son actually perform many spine surgeries on professional athletes. He has devised a very well rounded Physical therapy program for all his patients. Ranging from professional athletes to everyday people.
    One very easy exercise is called the pelvic tilt. While lying on your back, knees bent, you just tighten your abdomen and buttocks, and press your lower back toward the floor. This should be a small, subtle movement. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat as many times as you can in the begining. Work up to at least 5 sets and increase your hold times.
    While lying on your back with knees bent you can do Bridging. You slowly raise buttocks from the floor, keeping stomach tight. Hold for 5 seconds and release gently back to the floor. Repeat as many times as you can in the begining. Work up to at least 5 sets and increase your hold times.
    Lumbar Rotation is another good one. Lying on your back with knees bent, your feet and knees together. You slowly rock knees from side to side in a small painfree range of motion. Allow back to rotate slightly. An advanced form of this exercise, you can have your partner add a little resistance while you slowly rock your knees from side to side. The resistance can be from the outside of your knees or the inside of your knees. you can do both eventually.
    One more for you would be Lower Trunk Rotation Stretch. While lying on your back with knees bent, keeping your back flat and feet together, rotate knees to one side and hold for a few seconds and repeat on other side. Try to do at least 5 per side in the begining.
    These are just a few of the basic exercises that I did in my recovery from my fusion. They are what started me on my journey of physical fitness while in my late 40's. In 2010 I started P90X and did 3 rounds. In 2011 I added P90XPlus. Now I am doing P90X2 and loving every obstacle these exercises give me. From where I came from to where I am, there is no obstacle too big anymore. You can do this! "Just do your best and forget the rest". a quote from Tony Horton creater of P90X and P90x2.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    planks and pushups are great for your core.

^^ this! Lots of planks and pushups! I don't believe in doing a bunch of sit ups or crunches.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Squats and Dead-Lifts
  • bumped
    Options
    Also, if you lift weights, do the exercises while standing (ex: standing dumbbell shoulder presses instead of sitting). While standing, you use your core more to stabilize yourself and keep balance.

I like various ab exercises as well, but you get diminishing returns once you can do 20+ reps easily. Crunches on an exercise ball always kill me though!
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to ease back in and start building strength try a yoga class. I had 2 c-sections and a bad hip that left me with zero core and little mobility. I have been doing beginners yoga 1-2 times a week since last May and have never felt better. It didn't even feel like work and the next thing a knew I was getting stronger & stronger.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Pilates! Ask around for a good instructor