Trying to get healthy all the time

Options
I am 31 years old, will be 32 in May. I am F and as of this morning I am 319 lbs. I have yo yo'd for over 10 years now. At 25 years old I was 240 lbs and I had worked hard to get there from 310 lbs. Then I gained some weight back and then I got pregnant and gained 80 lbs. Well, my daughter is 4 1/2 years old now and I still weigh more than I did before getting pregnant. I am so pathetic, I have just let every day of every single year pass by me while I stuff my face with everything I can. Last year in April my doctor gave me a harsh reality that if I don't start taking control of myself and lose this weight that I may not be around to see my daughter grow up or if I am I will be in very poor health. I am already in poor health. It hurts to move. I am constantly in pain. I shouldn't be like this at my age. Well last year in April I was 333 and I had at one point lost 25 lbs, well as of today I am only at 8.8 lbs lost.

I have overcome a drug addiction, I have quit smoking (just started again) so why can't I overcome this food addiction? I WANT to be healthier and I want to be able to move without being in pain. I want to have energy for my daughter. I need support and need to meet more people that can help me stay motivated and not fall of the wagon. I have many times over the last few years made it to 300 lbs but never below. I always quit at that point. Ugh its so stupid. I don't want to waste another day or let another year go by without making better changes for myself.

On December 1, 2011 my grandma had a stroke. It was an eye opener for me as I was looking at her laying in that hospital bed thinking this is going to be me in a few years. It was so hard to see. She has never properly taken care of herself and I don't want that to be my life. I came home and immediately started looking into weight loss surgery. I made an appointment for the orientation and consultation but then a few days before I rescheduled to the next week and then I rescheduled again and again. I really don't want to have weight loss surgery. I want to try this again without surgery but how long do I keep trying before I can't try anymore and surgery is my only option? I know surgery is not the answer and I know it still requires a lot of work to lose all of the weight and then maintain it. Either way I need to work at this but I am too scared to have surgery right now. I really need to give this 100%.

Replies

• Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh and 1 other thing. I use this sight a lot from the app on my phone. Is there a way to access the message board from the app? I haven't been able to find that, unless I am looking in all the wrong places.
  • Mamaincali
    Options
    No one? I just want some more friends for support lol.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll support you. It's hard work but it's worth it. I think the first week or two is the hardest because you're just building a routine and you body isn't used to lower cals and exercise. send me a request if you'd like.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Hey hon!

Congrats on making the first step. Sounds like your struggle with your weight is similar to a lot of folks on here. Food addiction is a real and serious disorder, and it may require counseling and behavioral therapy to get over. Unlike drugs or alcohol, food is a necessity in life. You can't just stop eating. This is why food addiction is a terrible and scary disease. Please do consider counseling for the food addiction part of this. Even if you have the surgery and get through it, without addressing the underlying psychological issues causing you to overeat, you run a high risk of gaining it all back.

MFP makes losing weight very doable. You track your calories, exercise as best you can and go from there.

I wrote this thread for newbies a while back: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Remember always to keep your motivation in mind: to be there to be an amazing mother for you beautiful daugter and a role model for her. You can SO do this.

*hugs*
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For one thing, first off. If you think you are truly addicted to food, truly...then you need to try to seek professional help. Food can be addictive for the same reasons other things are addictive and it usually has to do with hormones. Many drugs interact with the same hormones foods do, thus, food can be just as addictive to some people. Now with that being said, I always recommend 2nd or 3rd opinion when taking doctors advice about whether or not you need to get on some type of medication. I guard against them unless dire circumstances, and to me, frankly it doesn't sound like you're addicted.

Otherwise. Just take it a day at a time and try to meet your goals for that day. The intake is the biggest hurdle but the food part can be way more lenient than many imagine. It's the time frame that will kill you. You'll need to be fairly disciplined for the next few years. Don't worry about trying to lose weight fast because you'll learn bad habits. And all you need is a brisk walk, don't worry about trying to jump around or do this or that dvd or program if you don't want to. (besides most of them suck) Feel free to add me and share your diary which is the most important key. You might find my commentary challenging, shall we say!
  • Mamaincali
    Options
    Thanks. I do have an addictive personality. I have done counseling in the past for a long time but I didn't get much out of it. My best therapy is my friends and I think just coming out that I do have a problem with food is a good thing. I see my doctor once a month and he's been through everything I've gotten clean from and he says this is the last obstacle I need to overcome. I keep starting this journey over and over. I would like to just stay on this journey instead of getting side tracked.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out one of the food addiction 12 Step programs?:bigsmile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No one? I just want some more friends for support lol.
    Here!
    I know I struggled until I started down a more reasonable road to peak health. This site recommends a program that works wonders, but it's not a quick result program.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can do this! You will find loads of motivation, support and information on this site and some great people too. Take it one day at a time. Small steps. It won't happen overnight but if you stick with it you will get there. Good luck :smile:
  • tierneymichele
    Options
    Hi,
    I think that if you can overcome a drug addiction you can overcome anything! Losing 20 something pounds is not a small thing and if you can do that, then you can do this. It is not easy but you just have to keep telling yourself that you can do it! Have faith in yourself. I'd be more than happy to help and give you motivation. I am new on here too. We can both do this =]
  • Rainese
    Options
    You can definately do it. I believe that obesity and weight is a struggle and that with anything it takes time to change your habits. I have been 326 and 156 and have struggled over the years with weight. I am now 35 and the last two years I have realized that sometimes slow and steady is the best way. I will support you!!!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    As an older woman and a mother of a daughter close to your age I want to tell you that you can re-invent yourself and enjoy the person you aspire to be for a bright future. Set those goals for yourself, but explore your need to self-medicate. Your brain chemistry is off balance for a reason, and once you have figured out the source you can correct that and stop the cravings. I assume you have been tested for anything physical like hormone imbalances, thyroid, etc. even though there can be conditions that fly under the radar. Whatever the cause you can manage it, not become a victim to it. Obesity has a genetic component but it is a tendency you can manage by stablilizing your moods, thru blood sugar, nutrients, daily moderate exercise, stress management, everything you can do to nurture yourself so you can thrive. You have a child watching how you tackle what life throws at you. Your skills will be role modeled for her as well. Brain chemistry is very powerful and people who have never experienced a bad imbalance will never understand that. Once you learn what it is doing on a subconscious level and why, you can start making improvements. Think nutrients for brain health and that will take care of the rest. Next year post pics!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Think about your daughter and the role model you want to be to her. Do you want her going through everything you've been through? Have patience, it's not going to change overnight, in a week, in a month. It's going to take a good amount of time. It takes a good two weeks for your body to get through the change of lower calories and to stop craving foods. Eventually your body will be so used to the changes you've made to it, that when you eat the bad stuff, your body will hate you and will let you know!! That is definetly one thing that has helped me stay away from the bad stuff. I don't ever want to go through that feeling.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Oh and you can't access the message boards from the app on your phone. It totally sucks!!