What do you do in the gym?

Options
I work in a school in nottingham and we have just broken up for half term. I have the keys to our gym and promised my self to spend 45mins a time in there everyday i am new to the gym spend all my time doing zumba & the wii. The gym is well equipped has a weight room as well as cardio machines. Also a medicine ball and a kettle ball I haven’t got a clue where to start with those.
I am 5'9 I really need some ideas on what I should be doing while in the gym.
While on the cardio machines these told me my heart beat was at 176-180 constant while exercising is this high enough?
what should I be aiming for to burn the most fat?
So as a start my time this morning this is what I did 5mins of stretching before i left the house. I then power walked to the gym(10mins). Once in the gym i did another 5 mins of stretching my legs and arms managed to plank for 30secs lol then into my workout i started with the machines i know The Tread Mill I did 10 minutes on here because i am new I did 2mins running(6.0) 2minutes walking(3.5-4.0) and so on for ten minutes on incline 1. Then to the bike for 10mins the rowing machine for 5mins&cross trainer for 5mins. I then did 10 reps doing squats with weights i physically couldn't do anymore for my arms not legs - i went on the leg weight machine where you sit& push the platform away from you(sorry don't know machine name) managed 15 reps of that. I then tested out a strange machine that you stand on and it vibrates this seems strange to me anyway. I ended up making it vibrate& doing a minute of squats& trying to hold the position as long as possible. I then stretched out for 15mins before walking back home. Any comments help would be welcome even criticism!

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to guess what you are suppose to do and start lifting weight.

5x5
    New Rules
    Starting Strength

Any of these will be beneficial.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options

5x5
    New Rules
    Starting Strength

Well said, JUST DO IT!!
  • cswearingen
    cswearingen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lift prior to cardio...watch you tube for workouts with weights...
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    lift prior to cardio...watch you tube for workouts with weights...

Don't lift and cardio the same day, unless your cadio is met-con, but i doubt it is.
  • speedmuffin
    Options
    Personally, I usually do 40-60 minutes of intense cardio with a little lifting. Also on Mondays I do every abdominal exercise I can think of :)

If you're having trouble doing the lifting after cardio, divide your workout into two sessions: one in the morning and one in the afternoon/night, or you can lift before the cardio. I would suggest splitting the workout though. Good luck!
  • Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually hop on the treadmill for about 30 minutes (I'm really trying to get my cardio up) then end up lifting weights for about 20 minutes. I will either do upper body or lower body, then hop on the elliptical for about 10-15 minutes. I mainly do my ab workouts at home since the ab machines/stations at teh gym are always packed.

You just have to get in there and do it. I have never been to a gym before I joined this one and watched what other people did for a little bit then made my own little routine. Keep at it!
  • nutandbutter
    Options

5x5
    New Rules
    Starting Strength

Yes! All I do is lift. No cardio. May end up adding some HIIT when it gets closer to summer but not going to worry about it now.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A Basic Routine for Beginners that can be done 3 days a week on non-serious cardio days (focus on form and stick with it for 12 weeks)

Dead lift with overhand grip (3 sets) light for 8 reps, moderate for 8 reps, heavy for 6 reps
    Flat bench dumbbell press (3 sets)
    Lat Pull Down (2 sets)
    Bent Over Barbell Rows (2 sets)
    Lateral Dumbbell raises (2 sets)
    Hammer Curls (1 set)
    Cable Triceps Pulldowns (2 sets) Use the rope attachment if available

That is it. You will make rapid gains in strength as your neuro-muscular efficiencies improve. Work with weights that challenge you at 6 to 8 reps on the final set of each. If you get to 10 reps easy, increase the weight.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    A Basic Routine for Beginners that can be done 3 days a week on non-serious cardio days (focus on form and stick with it for 12 weeks)

Dead lift with overhand grip (3 sets) light for 8 reps, moderate for 8 reps, heavy for 6 reps
    Flat bench dumbbell press (3 sets)
    Lat Pull Down (2 sets)
    Bent Over Barbell Rows (2 sets)
    Lateral Dumbbell raises (2 sets)
    Hammer Curls (1 set)
    Cable Triceps Pulldowns (2 sets) Use the rope attachment if available

That is it. You will make rapid gains in strength as your neuro-muscular efficiencies improve. Work with weights that challenge you at 6 to 8 reps on the final set of each. If you get to 10 reps easy, increase the weight.

Why no squats? Or overhead press? A beginner should really focus on their compound lifts to form a good base.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @nutbutter

Overhead presses could be added. You are right. The anterior delts get hit pretty good with the deads and flat bench work. I absolutely agree with the compound moves.

As for squats. The deads hit the same muscles primarily and then some more. The squats would certainly come in later after a basic lifting foundation is established.

Also notice with this plan, no spotter is required.
  • osorio1
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Personally, I usually do 40-60 minutes of intense cardio with a little lifting. Also on Mondays I do every abdominal exercise I can think of :)

If you're having trouble doing the lifting after cardio, divide your workout into two sessions: one in the morning and one in the afternoon/night, or you can lift before the cardio. I would suggest splitting the workout though. Good luck!
    You're probably losing lean muscle then because once your glycogen stores get depleted, your body will catabolize muscle (since it's an easier route for the liver to do to create energy) and that will eventually lower your metabolic rate. Now if you're splitting it up to 2 sessions, then you're okay.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition