NSV!!! So happy!

Options
So, while I'm taking a 3 week break from the scale (to try to cure my addiction to said scale), I'm noticing some of the other 'victories' in this journey!

Today, after work and a multitude of errands I had to run including grocery shopping, it was about 7 p.m. and I hadn't had dinner yet. I was going to fall back into an old habit of picking up something at a fast food restaurant. Before leaving the grocery store parking lot, I went on MFP to see how many calories were in the meal I wanted to get. OMG, there were over 500 calories in it!!! I had the calories available, but I've found that I'm becoming a bit of a Scrooge with spending them on things that ultimately are NOT worthwhile.

So, instead of stopping at the fast food restaurant, I went home and had some brie on low-fat crackers, fresh strawberries and a 100 calorie yogurt! I spent about 300 calories and feel better both emotionally and physically from that decision!

FINDING MFP WAS PROBABLY THE LUCKIEST THING THAT'S HAPPENED TO ME IN A LONG TIME!!! Thank you all for being such a supportive and inspiring group that shows me that even I can be successful in this lifelong challenge!!! :smile:

Replies

• laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    yay ! i feel the same way !! i love mfp it's taught me so much :) and i can never look at fast food the same way again haha
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    Whooo HOO! Keep up the great choices!
  • kelfhouse
    Options
    WTG! Your doing great!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    First, Great job! I too find myself unwilling to spend calories frivolously! :) I see candy and think, "It'll taste good, but won't do anything for me."

Second, as a newbie, what is NSV? I see it all the time but don't get it.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    what is NSV? I see it all the time but don't get it.

Non-Scale Victory :)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I did this today, too. Was seriously considering getting a pizza, looked into the cals and what I would honestly eat....SO not worth it!!

:flowerforyou:
    Keep kicking butt!
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    NSV = Non-scale victory

Edit: I type too slow I guess...;)
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Non Scale Victory, Mine is I through the 36s aside and put on the 34s.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    [quote!

FINDING MFP WAS PROBABLY THE LUCKIEST THING THAT'S HAPPENED TO ME IN A LONG TIME!!! Thank you all for being such a supportive and inspiring group that shows me that even I can be successful in this lifelong challenge!!! :smile:
    [/quote]
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    FINDING MFP WAS PROBABLY THE LUCKIEST THING THAT'S HAPPENED TO ME IN A LONG TIME!!! Thank you all for being such a supportive and inspiring group that shows me that even I can be successful in this lifelong challenge!!!

I feel the same way.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Smart decisions will pay off in the long run!
  • PansyPansyowsy
    Options
    I feel the same too! i am new here and I used to eat fast food as well as fatty food at nite after work (usu after 9pm) and it is absolutely disastrous! after joining and reading other people's success stories i am so much motivated and cant look at crap food the same way now! thanks for sharing and keep the good work up!! :flowerforyou:
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post really made my day, thanks so much for sharing!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a great NSV, because it means you're treating yourself really well! Good for you : )
  • sailorgrad
    Options
    Congratulations on your NSV! I am finding that this wonderful tool has completely changed the way I think about what I'm putting in my mouth every day. I never thought I would say this, but the thought of going to a fast food joint actually causes me anxiety! First, I'm looking to see what the calories are on what I want to eat. Then I'm thinking, "ugh, I could spend my calories in such better ways." I have been to a fast food place once in the past 6 weeks (compared to almost daily before starting MFP). The one time I went was because my daughter asked to go to the play place. In the visit, I only had a fruit and yogurt parfait. What a huge change for me!!!!

I'm thinking that the way change has happened this time (in terms of how I'm thinking about food), I've got a much better chance at long term success. I've lost 39 pounds, and I've got a long way to go. But I'm on this journey, step by step, day by day.

Onward and upward!
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you.
    I love that imagine of "spending calories." Going to keep that in mind as I go through the day.
  • thoma74
    thoma74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    *LIKE* thats awesome :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!