Radishes

Options
What do they taste like? Are they sweet when oven roasted?

Replies

• kendie_mac
    kendie_mac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ummm. I don't really like them so I don't eat them often. But I'd say they are kinda spicy. Not in a hot way, but of a black pepper kinda spice.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the lowly radish, but they have a peppery bitter taste to me.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    they're very fast growing... something like 5 weeks from planting to being able to use them. I need to find more ways to use them. Also need to remember to stagger my planting so it doesn't all come in at once.

Great in salads.... or grated when you want a bit of zing
  • StacyMarieDiaz
    Options
    They taste like spicy dirt if you ask me. YUCK never have been a fan of them
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    they are bitter. not a fan
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I make my own soups and often add a few to the mix, which I usually blend into puree when cooked...
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like them in the crock pot!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I love them! the little red radishes are awesome if you eat them with rice or bread. I use them like a salad. But then again I'm Indian and we grew up eating them. BTW, they're amazing for helping you digest food so you might think about adopting them into your diet more often.

The best tip i can give you is to never eat it by itself. Always eat it with something
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    They definitely get much sweeter when roasted but still have a tiny bit of zing. Kind of like a red potato with pepper on it. You can also pan roast them -- I do that a lot. Just cut them in half and saute them in a little butter and herbs and then put some balsamic vinegar on at the end. I recently tried a daikon radish -- I sliced it up and added it to a stir fry. It was very good.

I think most people's experience with radishes is raw in a salad or on a tray of raw veggies. They are much different when cooked!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So delicious! 8D But then again I like strong black coffee without any sweetening at all sooooo...lol.
  • HRF22
    HRF22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not all radishes are spicy. The ones I get are are often completely mild in flavour. I've never hear of cooking them. I use them in salad or eat raw.
  • mamaw53
    Options
    I LOVE radishes!
  • holyhcg
    Options
    I love Radishes- but I know alot of people dont like them raw becuase they can be strong in flavor. I cut mine up in slices, and pan fry in coconut oil or I slice them up, shake some seasoning on them and roast them in the oven. I even have boiled them like potatoes and than mashed them with my fork and a little salt. play around with them because the flavor really changes as they cook. hope that helps... Karen
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm going to sound like a pregnant lady (which I'm not), but I eat them raw all the time. As in, sit down with sliced radishes and eat them like chips. They are seriously like 1 calorie each and they fulfill my need for crunchy foods (I'm a texture person).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i eat radishes like cookies. give me all of your radishes.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Ewww, I have very bad memories of my mom and dad growing radishes in the garden and we had to eat them. Haven't touched them since I left home. They're kinda bitter and strong.:embarassed:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Radish like anything else have many different actual varieties... you might not have liked the particular ones your parents grew (maybe it was how they were prepared (or not prepared if raw) ) but there may be a variety you actually like. Worth experimenting sometimes. Different cooking methods emphasize different aspects of taste so something steamed vs boiled vs broiled... huge differences are possible ;)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I love radishes!

Daikons have a much more mild taste, and I prefer them to the little red ones.

I recently made some daikon/carrot pickles and they are the bees knees.

pickledcarrotdaikon_1.jpg?w=584&h=384

**edited for typo
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound like a pregnant lady (which I'm not), but I eat them raw all the time. As in, sit down with sliced radishes and eat them like chips. They are seriously like 1 calorie each and they fulfill my need for crunchy foods (I'm a texture person).

Me too! I just wash them and eat them! They are really good on a tuna sammy as well!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Give me some sliced radishes and some low cal ranch and I'm good to go.