Grad students?

Options
I'm a full-time PhD student with 2 little boys. Needless to say my life is busy and hectic. I've finally got into a workout routine where I try to get in about 30 minutes a day. It's not much compared to some people, but definitely increases my energy level and makes me feel better. My big problem now are my eating habits. For the past week or two I start off my day good making healthy choices and then screw it up in the evening with stress eating. Do any other students have suggestions of what they do to continue to make healthy choices even when you're up until 2am sometimes.

Thanks, and feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• matygr1107
    matygr1107 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a grad student working full time. I am working on my Masters in Nursing to become a Family Nurse Practitioner. I work five days a week and do school part time which is two classes a term. I have two grown sons and an eleven year old daughter. I was just telling my husband that I start the day out well and lunch even goes well on most days, but that stress eating a night is what is so hard for me to avoid! I am still tryng to walk on a regular basis. That isn't going very well. I feel that if I can just get my eating under control then I can concentrate on walking regularly. It's good to know I'm not alone in the stress eating department. Last night I got a glass of milk and sat on the couch thinking about getting something to eat with my milk, but i never got up and acted on my thoughts. We will see how tonight goes. I will just take it one day at a time.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    I'm a grad student, too, and I have a similar problem. I don't stress eat, per se, but I "reward eat." When I finish a day of class/clinic/work, all I want to do is come home and "reward" myself with delicious food. I've found that one thing that helps is taking a long, hot bath as a reward instead--this might also work for you as it is definitely a de-stressor. Another thing I try to do is identify foods that I enjoy eating that still fill me up, don't contain a lot of calories, and require minimal effort to make. For me, popcorn is my best bet. Good luck to you! Friend request coming your way.
  • mom1520
    Options
    Thanks! This advice is all really helpful. Popcorn is a great idea. It used to be a staple of mine but I haven't had it in a while. Good to know that I'm not the only stress eater. Matygr1107 - great job resisting the treat with milk. I'm trying to improve my will power because I'm not doing a good job of resisting anything right now.
  • chuckmcm
    chuckmcm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit, one day at a time.
  • chuckmcm
    chuckmcm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just finished my MBA while working full time. At the beginning I was pretty good about using the student's rec center, but as classes wore on and the work piled up - it became a "non"-priority. That was a mistake, but now that it is done, I am committing to take all the time I used to train my brain and train my body!
  • mtaylor404
    mtaylor404 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    law student.... sitting on my butt in the library sure doesnt burn too many calories! add me!