What types of strength training can I do at home?

Options
I do not go to a gym. (Can not afford one) What types of strength can I do in my home? For now I am just doing 30DS but would like to do more in the strength area. Any suggestions? TIA

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You can get a great workout with some dumbbells and a balance ball. Lacking money, you can use a chair and water bottles or soup cans. You can do bicep curls, triceps extensions, shoulder presses, chest presses, lateral raises, front raises, butterflies, shoulder shrugs, etc. for the arms with weights. There's good old fashioned pushups and crunches. Legs, while holding weights, you can do lunges, squats, calf raises. Weightless leg extensions and leg curls. As you can see, there's lots you can do at home!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, buy Supreme 90 Day. It's $19.99 for 10 dvds. Check Walgreens, Bed, Bath and Beyond (It should be $9.99 here, well at least where I live, it is.), Target, The Dollar General Store, Walmart, Ross, etc. It's a good 90 day program, but you don't have to do the workouts as a program. You can just incorporate them into your routine. You can go to their website and preview the workouts.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning is an amazing program with a lot of room for progress
    Also give youtube a try "body rock tv"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Another option is to ask any friends who have a gym membership if you can tag along every once in a while... many gyms offer guest passes for members and many friends are happy to have the company. :smile:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Beachbody P90X. You'll need some weights and a chin up bar, but it's soooo worth it!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You can try some of the strength training exercises on 30Day Shred and do them with heavier weights, instead of 3 use 8. It will make a big difference. Bodyrock is a free site with lots of body weight exercises. It is awesome.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Push ups (Wide arms and narrow arms)
    Squats
    Lunges
    tricep dips
    Mountain Climbers
    Jumping Jacks
    Crunches
    Oblique crunches
    Reverse crunches

Start with 3 x 12. With a minute break in between. That should take you about an hour.

If you want to add a couple of dumbbells, you can add probably 20 or 30 other exercises.
  • margiehernandez
    Options
    I would suggest a visit to your local library and rent DVD's from there, try them out and see what you like. My favorites are the Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner. Lots of exercises that involve planks, pushups, and many different strength training exercises. Once you try out a DVD or two, maybe you can buy your favorites at a local Wal Mart or Target. Good luck!!!!
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    definitely agree with checking out your local library, they are a great resource for free stuff :) also, someone mentioned tricep dips, which I will sometimes do at home. just need a coffee table or chair to brace on, great workout while you're busy watching the commercials!
  • lnicole1625
    lnicole1625 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas! The wheels are turning!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning is an amazing program with a lot of room for progress
    Also give youtube a try "body rock tv"
    I learned that very program and use it to this day.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Don't need any equipment to do: Crunches, Rev Crunches, Planks, Tricep Dips, Pushups (Wide/Narrow grip. Incline/Decline) , Body Weight Rows (great if you want to be doing pull-ups in the future)!