beef stew

Options
whtlatina1214
whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
hey im making beef stew this is my first time im wondering how or what you do for yours
so far i have purchased
beef stew meat
carrots
celery
potatoes
and that is it ///

Replies

• sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add in a can of chopped tomatoes it pads it out but with very few extra calories. Defo add some garlic and bay leaves, it makes it taste even yummier : ) xx
  • Walawender33
    Walawender33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Onions
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe that my mam uses for beef stew and it never fails!

Stew meat
    carrots
    parsnips
    potatoes
    celery
    onions
    1-2tbsp cornflour or other thickner
    salt/pepper
    oil

The amounts for all these ingredients can be changed/adjusted to suit the number of people, its totally up to your liking.
    Basically, fry the onions in some oil until soft. Add the meat and quickly brown. Then add boiling water to cover the meat and a little extra for gravy (about 3/4 full), all the veg and potatoes and cook on a low/med heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until veg is soft and meat tender. When cooked, add the thickener and season well.

Et voila ;) SCRUMMY! Enjoy

(I actually had it for dinner today!!!)
  • whtlatina1214
    Options
    umm what are pasnips lol
    and well yes im noticing i need flour for sure because it is in recipe i have found today lol
  • Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A really good seasoning that adds yummy to any stew is Sazon.

You should e able to get it in the Spanish lane in your grocery store. Call first. This is a Puerto Rican secret to yummy stews!
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Parsnips are a root veggie that look like whit carrots. You can put any veggies you want in a stew. I usually do mine in my crock pot. Beef, potatoes, peas, carrots, celery, fresh mushrooms, onions, seasoned with garlic powder, bay leaves, onion powder, a touch of worchestchire sauce, pepper, a little flour to thicken
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    haha lol they may only be an irish thing sorry, its a type of vegetable. But really any kind you like will work well its up to you!
  • whtlatina1214
    Options
    yes im boricua i use sazon on everything even eggs and toast lol
  • whtlatina1214
    Options
    thanks on clearing parsnips up lol