Engine 2 Diet

Options
Anyone else tried this? I own the book and I've stolen a couple of recipes from it, but otherwise never really stuck to it very strictly. Just wanted to hear other people's opinions on it and if they have any success stories. The recipes are all incredibly simple (though being from the UK some of the ingredients are harder to find as it's an American book), and if it's good enough for firefighters, then surely it's got to be pretty effective, right?

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, I read part of it and decided against it because I eat meat. If I recall, it's a vegan diet. If you choose to follow it, though, good luck to you! :smile:
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes it is vegan. I'm vegetarian, but adjusting to a vegan diet wouldn't be too difficult for me. I've had the book for quite a while, just wasn't very inspired by most of the recipes. Just wondered if there was anyone out there that found it worked for them.
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The concept of the book is awesome... that a group og firefighters all really changed their lives.. Very basic vegan diet though... I have actually met the author when he spoke to a group from my work... he was vaery charismatic and inspiring ....

But I have to tell you I had a requirment at work to make some of the recipes weekly and I found that many of the recipes didn't pan out... I could fix them with tweeking - but you have to watch the measurements.. they don't pan out for ratios...
  • Adynata
    Options
    Oh that's awesome. I definitely know what you mean by simple. I laughed out loud when I read the one that was literally 'Pancakes. Ingredients: milk substitute, pancake mixture'. I mean damn, how hard is it to make your own pancake mixture and include it as a recipe, instead of relying on the shop bought one?

I'll have to watch out for those ratios, then. I'm tempted to give it another go, purely because I've been thinking more and more about veganism mostly to cut out the fatty foods with dairy products in them.
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was vegan last year at this time... I feel awesome when I do it.. When I give up meat I notice that I don't have as much joint pain from inflammation but when I give up dairy I notice that I am not as congested... this definately helps in allergy season.

Another diet you might try is the Eat Right America ... again mostly a vegan book based on nutrient dense foods.... he talks of abstinence but if not then meat and dairy as a condiment only....
  • Adynata
    Options
    Awesome, thanks. I'll be sure to check it out =].
  • oneorangekitty
    oneorangekitty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on the Engine 2 Diet for about a month. I only have about 10 pounds to lose, and it is never easy. I don't see quick results, but have lost 3.5 pounds so far. And what I've lost is in ALL the right places. I feel great, but do miss cheese. I look online for a lot of recipes to supplement the E2 recipes. It's doable, more of a lifestyle change and than a diet.