CRAVINGS....

Options
How have some of you dealt with cravings? I am having such a hard time not giving in to my sweet tooth, pizza tooth....bad food tooth! HELP!!!!!

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Lots of people suggest having small amounts of the food you're craving, so you don't binge... lol.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with the slice of pizza, or that ice cream cone if it fits within your calories for the day. Other then that try to find healthy alternatives..A home made pizza made with a pita, sauce, 2% cheese and some turkey pepperoni is going to be a healthier alternative to a pizza hut pizza.
  • Simmie69
    Options
    Pizza is not bad, the key is to have it in moderation. So you had some pizza shake it off and let's get it tomorrow!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    give into the cravings but, in moderation.
  • jp0623
    jp0623 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    too late for that :(
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    10 years ago, i did a program called body for life. it's pretty simple really and in 6 weeks i lost 18 lbs.

there is an exercise plan, that is not hard and a diet plan, which is not hard either.

the recommendation is that for 6 days of the week you follow the protein/ fat/ carb plan to a T. no sweets or carby snack foods!!! then, on day 7 you eat whatever you want. there are two thoughts behind this. 1. you don't feel deprived then and 2. you confuse your metabolism!

like i said, i did this, for 6 weeks and lost 18 lbs. i made sure my cheat day was truly a cheat day!!! and the rest of the week i stayed away from all foods that you would deem "unhealthy" or "avoid."

this morning i woke up and decided to start treating my current weight loss plan in a similar fashion. i've been on track with my eating for 2 solid weeks. so, today i had my cheat day! and now that the day is over i'm ready to go back to my healthy, clean eating tomorrow! i don't feel guilty, at all!!! and it wasn't a binge so much as i made sure i ate whatever i wanted, things i normally NEVER EVER eat. like pizza :-)

anyway. just a thought. :-)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I can't do the daily moderation thing, so it's plenty of fats and protein for me in morning -- that gets me through most of the morning and sometimes till the evening. To deal with the mental part of cravings I do leave one day per week to indulge in the "bad stuff" ( I try to be mindful, so it doesn't turn into a "binge fest") -- that way I have a reward for being good through the week. It has been a year and that has worked for me up to this point.
  • yo2535
    yo2535 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just finished the Wild rose Herbal D-tox and now have no cravings at all. You might want to give it a try. It worked wonders for me :)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to not have food in the house that I'm less good at eating in moderation. Pints of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer, for example, no bueno. But I can't deny myself altogether, so I have treats out of the house to satisfy-- like going out for ice cream on the weekend. I plan for it, have some, and move on. That I have lots and lots of very healthy food in my house that fills me up also helps.

As I've grown more accustomed to eating healthy food in reasonable portions, it's also gotten easier to have "forbidden" foods around me/in the house that I just say no to. This is easier said than done at the beginning, though, so best to practice stimulus control, ie, get it out of the house.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My cheat day helps.

I could not progress without it, or as we prefer to say in the scientific community: "RE-FEED THERAPY"

The science behind calorie spiking is about shocking your metabolism, stoking the fires so to speak.
    I set aside one day per week where I eat about twice my daily goal, and once a month I set a day for a total food orgy where I eat like a pig for 24 hours.
    This has both physiological and psychological benefits.
    It's nice knowing I am never more than 7 days from eating anything I desire in whatever quantity I want.

I'd be miserable otherwise.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Protein helps with carb and sweet cravings. Up your protein intake earlier in the day.
    Drink more water - I find if I get enough water, I can ignore a craving better.
    If nothing else will do, have some, just control your portions!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    chew gum, takes your mind off it. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Get up an exercise, keeps you busy and by the end of it you usually don't want to eat it anymore. I had one snack meal or treat per week, but exercise that day so that I've got the calories for it. X