Results with Hula Hoop?

Options
Hey, I am thinking of buying a hula hoop for some extra work out to trim my mid section. Does anyone of you have seen results with a hula hoop? Thanks!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Excellent waist trimming exercise!
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can't hula hoop for the life of my. But wii fit helps to skip the actual hoop part. My heart rate definately increases when I do the 6 or 10 min rounds
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I love hula hooping! It's so fun!
  • 24inchwaist
    24inchwaist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been hoop dancing for a while and it is a wonderful "free" style workout. It has totally trimmed my waist. I got my hula hoops from eBay, Hoopnotica, and Etsy. If you can't hoop - Hoopnotica has wonderful instructional dvds. You will need to purchase a large, heavy Hula Hoop. Don't get one from the toy store, you will not be able to keep it on your waist.
    Hooping is addictive - that I now have 13 hula hoops and two sets of arm hoops.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Hooping = AWESOME! my waist has really gotten trimmer. i use a 5 lb weighted one which i bought on amazon. last night i saw a 2.5# one in wal-mart for $20. great deal and a good weight to start with!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted hula hoop and I love it! I have even taken Hoop Fit classes at a local studio.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I dropped a few inches from my waist, torso and butt. I don't have the space to try hoop dancing, but do use dumbells with it, do squats and half lunges and quite a few different stances while hooping.

How does everyone else log it? I log it as general aerobics, since I usually go 20-30 minutes, but would love to hear how others do it.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    WOW that is a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for posting this!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! got mine from canyon hoops...and have also made a few... filled mine with water.... could not hoop for the life of me for a long time...then started zumba and a bellydance dvd...and i can now! lol.. can see it helping the midsection for sure...its addictive! mine average 4-5 cals per minute.....
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah, and join a local hooping group in your community. You'll burn off hundreds of cals a session and make some great friends too.
  • belindawilli
    belindawilli Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have a 4 lb weighted one and it is awesome....you can do so much more than just hoola hoop,leg lifts, arm raises,squats, and the list is endless...it is awesosme!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Kapifrau
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers. I bought one yesterday on ebay. One of the heavy once with massage things. I loved hula hoop as a kid so I am looking forward to use it again.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love it and it definitely is a good exercise! Got mine from hoopmamas.net
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am thinking of buying a hula hoop for some extra work out to trim my mid section. Does anyone of you have seen results with a hula hoop? Thanks!
    No, that's ABSURD....I would NEVER:angry:

OK, so I have this "friend" - :bigsmile:
    And "he" [not me] has a hula hoop for a great core workout.
    Of course he looks RIDICULOUS!
    But that matters not. The results have been great, and my "friend" highly recommends the hula hoop for those who want to experience something a bit different that will produce stellar results.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted one. It works for me! It made me sore at first, like the bruised kind of sore. After you get used to it, it is fine.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    While I don't believe in spot reducing (I believe you can't tel the body where to release fat from)... I have had good results. I think this is mainly because it is fun, so I will pick up my hoop and use it during commercials or while watching tv for fun and extra activity. I have danced with it wearing a heart rate monitor ad can get a good mild-to-moderate cardio workout but since it is fun I'll do it longer than I would a less fun workout. I guess if it appeals to you it can be a fun cardio workout that uses your core muscles. And it can also be a fun way to burn a few extra calorie (just hooping on my waist doesn't really get my heart rate that high, but it beats sitting on the sofa).
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I used one of those weighted ones - my coworker brought it in to work.

It left me with hip bruises, plus I looked ridiculous.

Personally - I'd rather do some fast-paced cardio or some Zumba. Burns more calories, trims the waistline better, makes your heart stronger.

Just my two-cents.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump! i want one!
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    I love ours. We ended up making them from scratch--so easy and much more for your money. I lost lots of inches and actually work up a sweat w/out too much effort. you burn 109 calories in 15 minutes. check out this video of a girl who lost 28 pounds in 10 months along with becoming a Hoopnotica certified trainer. You'll see how her body became more hourglass and her back got a lot more definition. I don't know what else she does for fitness or nutrition, but if you post comments on you tube, she does respond. This is her progress, but Leslie has done so many other great videos of her performances and progress:

10 Months of Hooping - Tilly Whirls

http://youtu.be/eN4K-_SzzDA
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I must be hula hooping wrong, because honestly, it doesn't seem like that good of a workout to me. It's a lot of fun though.

Also, if you've lost inches in your midsection, it's either because you've lost fat throughout your body, or because you core muscles were so weak they were really slack, but I know of no evidence that any specific exercise can cause you to lose fat in a certain area.