Running and Weight Loss

Options
I recently started C25K. I just finished week 3 yesterday and will begin Week 4 on Monday.

Since I started-- the scale has not budged. I have lost almost 13 inches (total body) since taking my measurements about 8 weeks ago and the scale was moving pretty quickly until I started running. I am 278 lbs right now.

What gives?

Yes, I try to eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories back. Sometimes I eat more, sometimes I only eat about 1/4th of them back. I am trying to eat when hungry and not feel "stuffed."

TIA!

Replies

• DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It may be your body is adjusting(it loves to do this), hence no more weight loss. Or it could be you have lost fat and added muscle which makes the scale look like your not losing.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    C25K doesn't burn many calories until you start running for good periods of time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hard exercise causes tiny tears in your muscles (not a bad thing... a perfectly normal thing, and how muscles get stronger). Those tiny tears retain fluid as they heal. Fluid retention = temporary water weight gain. Pretty much any time you start a new exercise program or increase your intensity, this will happen. Normal and temporary.

Unless, of course, you're sleep walking to the nearest Krispy Kreme and downing a dozen donuts while you snooze.
  • Pvestin
    Pvestin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience, but at about week 4 or 5 I started losing inches. I'll take inches lost over pounds anyday. :)
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Running is a good form of exercise!!! You said it yourself you are losing inches...but maybe not pounds. I actually gained weight while training for my half marathon. Your body gets pretty hungry when running and you eat more...it balances with the running sure...but you might not lose! Just think though, your legs will look awesome, you are building up endurance and cardio strength...its a win trust me!
  • JenDOhio
    Options
    This same thing is happening to me. I am on week 3 of 5K101 for the second time. I completed it a few months back but then quit running so now I'm starting over. The first time the weight flew off. This time I'm running, taking spin classes, zumba, and just working out at the gym. The scale has not moved in over 2 weeks but my clothes are looser and I am seeing a slow change. I hope the scale tips in my favor soon. It's hard to work this hard and not see the numbers. Good luck to you. I say just stick with it.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience, but at about week 4 or 5 I started losing inches. I'll take inches lost over pounds anyday. :)

Same here, except that the running torched off pounds, as well as inches, after week 5. The earlier weeks were disappointing, as exercise goes.
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is reassuring.

I am happy inches are falling off-- but it is SO discouraging to see the scale at the EXACT SAME NUMBER for three weeks. BLAH.

I'll keep doing what I am doing.