What do you do when you eat twice your allowance by going ou

Options
I only joined myfitesspal about a month ago and went out to dinner last nite to celebrate my daughter's birthday and indulged in pasta and cheesecake:drinker: I'm going for an extra long walk to try and work off the excess but has anybody out there tried restricting their calories the next few days after to make up for the amount you consumed over by. I am meant to be on 1200 calories a day and yesterday it ended up being double that - usually I've been pretty good.

I wondered if I restricted my calories the next couple of days it won't send me into "starvation mode" because its only for a few days. Has anybody else tried this and how did you find it worked? I've loss\t weight for the first 3 weeks I have been doing this and I don't want my dinner out to make me put on weight this week. Thanks.

Replies

• futbolkt21
    Options
    I would say just get right back on track with what you're supposed to be doing food-wise. And yes, work out a little harder.
  • cwalters1540
    cwalters1540 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One day a week I go over my normal amount (1400) calories, but only by about 300-400 calories and I always lose some weight. The starvation mode is a myth and your metabolism won't slow down to the point where you won't lose weight if you go down to 1200 calories or even slightly less. I don't think you have anything to be worried about. Sometimes you just have to enjoy yourself and eat whatever you want...especially for your daughter's bday! The important thing is that you haven't spun out of control. You ate a lot of calories for just one day...no biggie!
  • kirstand
    Options
    i'd just do extra exercise and consider this a one off. 1200 is quite low, don't know how you cope as i can barely stay at 1420! so probably not a good idea to restrict more calories. forget the overindulgence...
    anyway, one day shouldnt make a difference unless of course you make a habit of it:wink:
    you may be over one day and well under the next, which i reckon is ok.
    good luck
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would forget it and hit your numbers today. Just keep plugging away at it!
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've got a plan - work out a little harder, and maybe stick to your calorie limit pretty strictly for a few days - but don't restrict yourself too severely - for some it can lead to binging and going off plan.

I say just get back on track and move on - it was just one day, and life happens....
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Don't allow yourself to go over-problem solved :happy:
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Your daughter's birthday is once a YEAR. Don't even worry about it. Hope you enjoyed celebrating and the yummy food and that your daughter had a great day.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I do that at times! :) Just workout the next day if it's a normal rest day if you feel guilty or just start the next day fresh :) It's ok and I have also heard that doing this once a week can actually spike the metabolism :)
  • JoHo57
    JoHo57 Posts: 31
    Options
    We all have "those" days. You have the right attitude about getting back on the horse and riding a few extra miles. None of us here are perfect...or we would not be here!
    Steer back on course and move ahead. You are doing a good job!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Act like it never happened. It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound and even on a binge, I doubt you could eat that much. Typically your metabolism spikes to deal with the extra calories.

I allow myself to have days every so often where I have big meals and I have noticed it greatly helps how much weight I lose over the next week. I just try not to weigh myself for a day or two so that I don't get discouraged. Hope this helps :)
  • sarahc0714
    Options
    You actually have done what some (including me) are doing called spiking. Don't be surprised if you see the scale move and possibly move more than it has. You definitely should not give yourself a guilt trip!!!! No one is perfect all the time :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I move on and start over the next day.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    One day eating what you want a week is just fine and nothing will happen. I bet you will still see a drop this week. Don't beat yourself up-the stress will be worst than the dinner out.
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've indulged once a week since my 2nd week (daughters birthday, sons birthday, super bowl, mom in hospital) and have lost every week. Super bowl was bad, I logged 1500 cals in one meal and my daily intake is 1300. I was only down .2 last week but I was still down and I made up for the extra calories by getting my numbers right the next day and making sure I got my exercise in EVERY day last week. You'll be fine - sometimes a calorie spike will also go the other way and increase the weight you lose once you get back on the straight and narrow (for me at least).
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I do that at times! :) Just workout the next day if it's a normal rest day if you feel guilty or just start the next day fresh :) It's ok and I have also heard that doing this once a week can actually spike the metabolism :)

This!!
    And if you have doubts, just look at the pics on her ticker. ;)
  • Harlin12
    Harlin12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your daughter's birthday is once a YEAR. Don't even worry about it. Hope you enjoyed celebrating and the yummy food and that your daughter had a great day.

^^^This
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I have tried to "Make up" for may calories before. It didn't hurt my weight loss in a given week, BUT when I would do that, I would be hungry and exhausted and just generally feel like junk because I wasn't eating enough. (Granted, I was eating AT least 1200 cals, but would not hit my calorie goal, and wouldn't eat my exercise calories). I have also had times where I go way over, and just move on, and eat all of my daily calories each day for the next week. That has worked fine for the weight loss to, and I don't feel like junk. I would just accept it, and move on. :)
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it at all (I doubled my calories on super bowl sunday and still lost this week). One day isn't going to ruin your week - not getting back on track will. No need to starve yourself or feel guilty - I'd say your daughter's birthday is an excellent excuse to celebrate : )
  • larat71
    Options

Here! Here! I completely agree:) I usually go over a little at least one day every week to keep my metabolism going. If I do happen to go over quite a bit, then yes, I back up a little the next few days and take an extra walk or do some extra chores around the house to "make up" for it. But really, don't worry about it...you had fun, she had fun and today is a new day! :heart:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A day with a lot of pasta and cheesecake? I know what I'd be doing. Smiling. :happy:

Like others have said, your daughters' birthday is a once a year occasion. Even if this kind of celebration is a once a month occasion, it's not going to ruin your progress. Yes, you went over your 1200 calories by double. But you probably only went over your maintenance calories by at most 700, if you're aiming to lose one pound a week.

So what "damage" did you really do? Instead of losing one pound this week, you might lose .8 pounds instead. Is two-tenths of a pound really going to make or break you in the grand scheme of things?