Nearly Calorie free snacks

Options
Can anyone suggest any nearly calorie free foods or vegatbles that I can have as a snack between meals to keep my metabolism going on the days that I don't exercise?....Besides water? I've gotten fairly good at meal planning for the day, but if I am on a non-exercise day I cut it very close to my allowable calories. Trying to stay within my "budget" but don't want to shave my meals too much or I am prone to overeating later. Exercise days I have no problem with, I have two fruits as snacks and a bunch of cals left over.

Replies

• Magster0830
    Options
    Try spreading cucumber slices with a little garlic hummus or dipping carrot sticks in non-fat Greek yogurt. Very yummy! Also, black tea has ZERO calories and Crystal Light lemonades and ice teas have between 5 and 15 calories.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    Carrots, celery, Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedge (with 35 calories a wedge) -I spread it on low-fat ritz crackers, 5 crackers is 70 calories though but mmmm!!, Almonds (small portion), organic applesauce, pickles, strawberries, cucumbers, ETC feel free to add me btw (:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Kale chips. Use olive oil (healthier) or Pam cooking spray. Season however you'd like. Try them they are good.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try this: You don't have to saute the vegetables, you can just throw it in a pot and cook until everything is tender. It gets me through. You can add mushrooms or other vegetables you love that are low in calories. Make a big pot and eat it all week whenever you want.

Garden Vegetable Soup

1 large uncooked onion(s) chhopped

2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s)

9 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth

4 cup(s) green cabbage

1 cup(s) Green Beans, Canned

3 cup(s) canned crushed tomatoes

1 tsp ground basil

1 tsp ground oregano

1 tsp table salt

2 cup(s) uncooked zucchini

2 cup(s) summer squash

1 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s)

1 cup(s) uncooked celery

Instructions
    Using a stock pot, dice and chop and cook vegetables in pam spray. Then add the broth and seasononing and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome recipe!! Is this in the food database???
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest any nearly calorie free foods or vegatbles that I can have as a snack between meals to keep my metabolism going on the days that I don't exercise?....Besides water? I've gotten fairly good at meal planning for the day, but if I am on a non-exercise day I cut it very close to my allowable calories. Trying to stay within my "budget" but don't want to shave my meals too much or I am prone to overeating later. Exercise days I have no problem with, I have two fruits as snacks and a bunch of cals left over.

Eating between meals doesn't help keep your metabolism going any more than not eating between meals. Meal timing is completely irrelevant when it comes to metabolism. Even though many people holding out the mantra that you must eat 5-6 meals a day to keep up your metabolism, there is absolutely no clinical study that shows that is the case. In fact the studies show whether you eat 1 or 9 meals a day, your metabolism stays the same if calories consumed is the same. Further, fasting studies have shown that not eating at all for even 72 hours does not change a person's metabolism. If you are only eating snacks to "keep your metabolism" up, there is no reason to do that. If it helps you, like it does some people, to stay within your calories for the day, by all means do it. If I snack between meals I overeat.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    pcteck2 < Thank you! Forgot about veggie soups and how low calorie yet filling they are!
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If you have a bunch of calories left over on workout days, eat those calories on your rest days so at the end of the week you don't have a bunch of extra claories left over.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Two common fixes to keeping "full" throughout the day:
    1. keep a good level of fibrous veggies and protein in your diet. this helps keep you full.
    2. eat several small meals a day instead of the "standard" breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

#2 is by no means a rule or requirement; it just happens to help some people control hunger levels.

Eating more or less often throughout the day has really no bearing on keeping your metabolism revved up, by the way.
  • LaLaLaInMyHead
    Options
    Cut apples really thinly and bake them, or cut thinly and salt.
  • iwannalosealot
    Options
    you can buy weight watchers snacks at very little calories they have cookies, little cakes , brownies etc. the list goes on, also thin bagels at 100 calories their good too with a little peanut butter you can add me as a mentor the more we have the easier it is to stay on track good luck
  • Julesh964
    Julesh964 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free jelly, really low in calories :)
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am making that soup tonight.... sounds so good
  • Simmie69
    Options
    Try having carrots or celery with hummus..Rice cake drizzled with a little honey
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    How about one slice of Wasa Crisp 'n Light 7 Grain (30 calories) topped with a tablespoon of fat-free greek yogurt (6-8 calories) and 3 slices of cucumber (6 calories)? If you want to be fancy you could add lemon juice, salt/pepper, and chopped herbs to the yogurt.
  • Krissy_b777
    Options
    I am really enjoying these! Thanks alot for the post.
  • vikawerlin
    Options
    Foods Under 100 calories:

· ½ cup fresh blueberries (45)

· 3 cups plain popcorn (23)
    · 1 whole ripe tomato (33)
    · 1 small banana (81)
    · ½ cup cherry/grape tomatoes (33)
    · 5 saltine crackers (60)
    · 1 medium apple (80)
    · ½ plain small bagel (83)
    · 10 celery sticks (20)
    · 1 large dill pickle (15)
    · 1 medium orange (77)
    · 1 cup puffed wheat cereal (43)
    · 1 hard boiled egg (81)
    · ½ medium grapefruit (38)
    · 1 cucumber (10)
    · 1 cup vegetable juice (50)
    · ½ English muffin w/ 1 tsp peanut butter (95)
    · 1 ¼ cups whole strawberries (60)
    · 1 string cheese stick (72)
    · 1 medium corn with a little bit of creole (80)
    · 1 small baked potato (80)
    · 1 fresh peach (37)
    · 1 slice whole grain toast (85)
    · 1 cup skim milk (90)
    · 6 oz. non fat, sugar free yogurt (86)
    · 7 medium fresh shrimp (70)
    · ½ cup red raspberries (41)
    · 8 dried apricot halves (60)
    · 1 medium tangerine/2 clementines (37)
    · 1 cup green tea w/ 2 tsp sugar (30)
    · 17 fresh grapes (52)
    · 10 almonds (70)