I'm 5'2 & 135lbs, Is it possible to lose 20lbs by summer?!

Options
Hey guys!!

I just started my new diet and exercise life style change to get bikini ready, but was wondering if it was possible to lose 20 pounds within the next 3 months?

I will be working about 6 days a week for about 45 minutes, and maintain about a 1400 cal diet. Any tips??

Thanks!! <3

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why the timeline?

You only weigh 135 pounds as is. I really, really doubt you can lose 20 pounds in 3 months. The smaller you are the harder it is to get the weight off.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you would. Starting at a lower weight will mean it will take longer to lose that weight. PLUS if you're going to be building any muscle you will probably not lose as much as you want because you're already at a low weight.

Honestly, I would expect you to lose maybe around 10 pounds in that time frame. That's just under one a week which is kind of generous when you don't have much to lose. You should aim to lose .5 pounds a week when your goal weight is only about 20 pounds away.

But of course it does depend a bit on the exercise. if you don't do any weights or anything then maybe you'd be able to strip away the pound faster BUT lifting weights would be better. It's not good to do just straight cardio...then you get skinny fat. Who wants to be skinny fat when you can be toned and strong?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am 5.2 and started at 140. I wanted to loose 10 lbs in 2 month and only lost 3!!! i was exercising 30-60 min 5-7 days a week and logging everything, sticking to my calories and that was it. 3bs! i have been trying to loose weight now for 4 months and lost a total of 6-7 now but i have been stuck at 133 now for 3 weeks.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It may be *possible*, but you might feel more satisfied and less stressed if you focus more on progress and mini-goals than a deadline. :-) I am 5'4", started out on here at 165 and it took me somewhere between 2.5-3 months *I think* to lose 20 lbs. At the 5 month mark I hit 30 lbs lost. The smaller you are, the longer it takes to lose any particular amount of weight, and the closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight will come off.
  • azilana76
    azilana76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe it is possible, I am 5'0' and 35 yrs old. My current weight is 132 and I plan on being 110-115 this summer. ( BTW, I started at 140 mid January this year) I have done it before, BUT!!! You MUST be consistant in cardio and follow a strict diet regimine. Best of luck, And I hope we all achieve our goals even if it comes a little later than we want. :wink:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to redefine "bikini ready". Sounds to me like what you really need to do is start toning up. Weight loss will only get you so far. Try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred or something similar. By all means, keep up with the diet. But, instead of focusing on the numbers on the scale, focus on the tone of your body.
  • ajr050969
    ajr050969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why not take your measurements and focus on watching the numbers on the tape measure get smaller instead of the numbers on the scale?
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1400 is probably not enough if you're working out hard for 45 mins that often. You'll lose at first but you'll probably stall.

That's also probably a bit overzealous for someone your height... Are you coming from having been able to maintain 115 for any length of time in the past? I'm 5'2" and 115 is def not sustainable for me, but then I do have quite a bit of muscle on me.

I'd focus more on measurements (tape measure) than the scale. Throw in some weight training, not just cardio. W/ a deficit like the one you're creating, you're in danger of burning muscle along w/ fat, which will slow your metabolism and make losing really difficult.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    as purpleipod said - why the time line?

Most people who do it that way never succeed. It is well documented. Start living a healthier and active life style and it will come off. I love the information you can get in the podcast 'www.fat2fitradio.com
  • lclowe0808
    lclowe0808 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So....first of all....5'2 and 135...that is actually my goal weight as I am also 5'2". Safe weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week. It is doable, however, you are already at a good weight and bmi and you want to push it further. That's fine, but it's going to take a lot more than 45 minutes and 1400 calories to get there. You're going to need a combination of cardio and strength training and honestly, you'll need to pump it up to get there. It will be a lot of hard work but if you are determined, I think you can do it.
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yes. You can do it. I was 135 at Christmas and I'm now 118.5. I'm also 5'2" tall. I work out everyday - 1 hour cardio/20-30 minutes strength training. I eat low cal low fat, high protein food.
  • lcrayne
    lcrayne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestion someone posted of tracking your measurements. Maybe not instead of weighing but in addition to it. Celebrate small successes along the way! MFP is a great way to track food and exercise progress. Good luck!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I really don't think so. It isn't a realistic goal. I might be able to lose 20 by summer, but I'm sitting at 160 right now. I would set a goal that is a little more attainable and maybe come up with a couple non-scale goals.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd rather be down 10 lbs by the summer, and then be down 20 pounds for every summer for the rest of my life. The quicker you lose, the easier it comes back (in my experience). If you want my advice: Don't ruin your metabolism. Think about it has a goal that will last you for the rest of your life--not a "Summer of 2012" goal.
  • SIimMama
    SIimMama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I vote for looking at your definition of bikini ready. I would suggest adding strength training (if you don't do that already), keeping your diet high in lean proteins, and don't worry too much about the scale. Think more about how your body looks...more than likely your weight will drop as well and you'll be happier w/ your bikini body!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes.

But it's a lot more possible to achieve the body you want by summer if you're not focused on the scale. Set your calories too low and don't get enough fuel, and you'll lose the pounds, but it won't guarantee you'll like the results.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd rather be down 10 lbs by the summer, and then be down 20 pounds for every summer for the rest of my life. The quicker you lose, the easier it comes back (in my experience). If you want my advice: Don't ruin your metabolism. Think about it has a goal that will last you for the rest of your life--not a "Summer of 2012" goal.

AMEN.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 130 lbs. I've been trying to lose 10 lbs for a year, using a restrictive 1200 calorie diet and massive amounts of cardio. I was miserable, and when I couldn't take being hungry I overcompensated with crappy food choices. I have recently been converted to lifting, and I am feeling stronger, tighter, and leaner. Scale hasn't moved, but I have tons more energy. Eating 1600 or more calories per day now, and I just feel happier. Best of luck finding what works for you, there is not one perfect way to get results.