its been 3 weeks...SO FRUSTRATED

Options
i have been working out...since March 30th..felt so good again to move and stretch after 3 yrs of laying on the couch and blowing up... In May joined a gym... go 4-6 times a week.. I am doing all sorts of weight training and 2 miles (32 mins on treadmill at good heart rate) and 1 mile (12mins) of eliptical ...i started counting calories on here about 2 weeks ago.. prior to that.. i did change eating habits..but until i started actually writting everything down i was still consuming too many calories.. even thought they were better calories...still the same weight.. cant seem to shed a pound..see a slight difference in my body.. pants fit better...2 years ago i lost almost 40lbs... without trying to hard.. Why isnt it coming off now...

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I hate to say this but it really does get harder to do as we get older. I lost about 40lbs on WW a few years ago and it was sooooooooooo easy, didn't even really exercise then. Now it's taking forever!Just don't give up!!

Memaw
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    you said that your pants fit better? well, that is something and very good for 3 weeks! Just stick to it...your body will respond!!!!

Cindy:heart:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    A year ago I set out to lose 50 pounds by June 5-- my birthday-- thinking for sure I'd make it-- but, like an earlier poster mentioned-- it just doesn't come off as easily at our age-- I just turned 45--

Keep doing the things you know are right and good, and eventually things will start to budge-- watch the calories, log every morsel, exercise-- all good things.
  • jenaranda
    jenaranda Posts: 32
    Options
    I totally feel you, it has been 3 weeks that I have been working out and dieting. They weighed us today at work, I lost like half a pound.

Don't give up keep trying, you can do it:wink:
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Keep going; don't give up! Since I've started working out, it's been taking me longer to lose the weight too. But you are doing it right, and you WILL see the results if you stick to it!!
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping track of those measurements (neck, waist, & hip)? If your pants are fitting looser you might be trimming down by trading fat for muscle. Also sometimes it helps to change up your workout. I use a personal trainer and love it... She keeps me on my toes and continues to change things up for me. If you can't afford a personal trainer every week try once a month (or every other month) and have them write down a routine for you. This might change things up.

Finally, is there an excercise or activity you love that you've never tried? I started figure skating at 35 years old, and I mean I had NEVER had skates on my feet before. It clicked for me. It is the exercise that makes me happy. Before it was.... well, I haven't gone for 4 days, I guess I should go to the gym. Now it more like, Dang! I haven't been skating in THREE DAYS! Where's the ICE!? Also, to improve my skating I started yoga and working with the personal trainer.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    sorry to agree with the rest....this age crap is kicking my a**....I lost 15lbs 4yrs ago in less than 4 months. I have now been working twice as hard and eating 100times better and I am fighting to keep at the 15lb loss. I started over 6months ago and every day is a struggle. I know it is the age 42. I also had MY SECOND BABY just over 3 yrs ago and between the two, my body wass ravaged... I am trying to be patient and know that I may not find the body of my dreams for another yr, but I will keep pushing and living and working towards my goal.
  • NancyHealy
    NancyHealy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. So don't sweeat it about the numbers on the scale for now, because as your looser clothes tell you-it is working!!
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    try changing your workout up a bit, I started doing a short 20minute workout in the evenings in addition to the 1 to 1-1/2 hour in the morning and it really helped to curb my appetite and also helped me earn a few extra calories for the day. It is super hard once we hit 40 to lose the weight, but it CAN be done. The proof is also in your clothing fitting looser. I have only lost about 7lbs since May 7, but boy are my clothes totally different, and i can now wear a pair of pants I thought I was going to have to give to charity a few months ago. If your clothes are looser than they were than that is proof you are doing something right-- stick to this website as there are a ton of people with WAY better advise than i have to offer! :laugh: Hang in there!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. So don't sweeat it about the numbers on the scale for now, because as your looser clothes tell you-it is working!!

I see this so often, muscle actually doesn't weigh more than fat. 1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle, it's just that since muscle is denser, 1 lb of muscle is smaller than 1 lb of fat. So, as you build muscle, you get slimmer, because it takes up less space than the fat does.
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options

I see this so often, muscle actually doesn't weigh more than fat. 1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle, it's just that since muscle is denser, 1 lb of muscle is smaller than 1 lb of fat. So, as you build muscle, you get slimmer, because it takes up less space than the fat does.

I'm so glad you clarified this for us-- but you'll probably have to say this several more times for us thickheaded ones like me to retain it-- seriously-- great info and this makes so much more sense after I've read it twice! :happy:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

I so agree with not worrying about the number on the scale. Your clothes are fitting better so you know you are going in the right direction. Our weight fluctuates so much with water... that I don't think three weeks is enough time to get an accurate weight. Keep working out and watching those calories. Make sure you are getting as much nutrition as you can for the amount of calories you have in a day. And drink your water:drinker:

I do want to say that we don't build muscle in a matter of weeks. It generally takes months (I just read 6 months) to start to build muscle. Especially for women.

Plus muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. But you can look smaller when your body is more toned even though you might weigh more. I am 5 lbs heavier than before. But my clothes fit better because I am more toned and probably have a lower body fat %. I haven't had it checked though.

So Keep up the good work! It might come off slower as we age but I think that makes the reward greater!:flowerforyou: