Can I reach my goal in time?

Options
I just booked a vacation in June, and I had a crazy thought. It would be so great if I could reach my weight goal before I have to put on a bathing suit during that vacation.

It seems like a lot though...40 lbs in 4 months? Has anybody done this before? I'm willing to increase my workouts and cut out what little comfort food I've been eating, but I'm just wondering if it's even possible?

Replies

• CacklinJack90
    Options
    Possible? Definitely could be. Average weight loss is 2 lbs a week if you're being aggressive which would be 32lbs in four months. Sometimes if you have a lot of weight to lose more comes off in the beginning but then it might be hard to lose in the end. I think it could be done but you'd have to work hard. :)
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would set smaller goals to reach by then so that even if you don't you will have reached some of your goals. 40 lbs in 4 months seems a tad too high especially if you aren't extremely heavy now.

Just my opinion :flowerforyou:
  • j_twirl
    j_twirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 16lbs in 1 month on here!!!! You can SO do it!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That's a lot, honestly... And trying to go at it too aggressively can really slow your metabolism down. Also, the faster you lose, the greater the danger of the weight coming back on. Just be careful w/ yourself. Less food and more exercise isn't always a great idea.

Stick to your net, no matter what. If you create too much of a deficit you WILL stall out your metabo and trust me, it's extremely frustrating. I did this at about 10lbs to go, and I am still working to reset my poor metabolism. I had no idea I was doing anything wrong, either. So Stick. To. Your. Net.

And as another poster said, you may lose quickly at the outset, but as you get closer, you SHOULD be losing slower. Losing more than 1lb a week puts you at risk of burning muscle along w/ fat (no, this doesn't just happen to anorexics. I used to think that, but it turns out I was doing it at a healthy weight), especially when you get to within 10-20 of your goal.

Please, be careful! You are a pretty girl and I am sure you will look smashing in a bathing suit by then, even if you 'only' lose 15-20! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I just booked a vacation in June, and I had a crazy thought. It would be so great if I could reach my weight goal before I have to put on a bathing suit during that vacation.

It seems like a lot though...40 lbs in 4 months? Has anybody done this before? I'm willing to increase my workouts and cut out what little comfort food I've been eating, but I'm just wondering if it's even possible?
    Possible yes. Probable without starving yourself and trying keep what lean muscle you have, I'd say no. As you lose weight your metabolism goes down, which means to burn the same amount of calories as you were at a higher weight, you'd have to exercise even more and longer exercise times has a tendency to burn lean muscle tissue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Possible, yes. Probable, no.

Safe weight loss is 1 to 2 lbs a week.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ur damn right it's possible....working out along with watching wat you eat really helps, I'm on the same mission as you for a different reason, In the beginning of January, I was 177lbs, I vowed to lose ten pounds a month until I get to my goal so that I can be in the maintain phase...I'm lookin to be at my goal weight of 130lbs, so that's 47lbs to lose, I'm already down 10lbs as of Jan 31....I don't get on the scale but once a month, that way I can stay focus...scales aren't meant to be used on a daily basis, so please don't be one of those scale hoppers...

I wish you the best of luck...set small goals, not something that will make u lose weight fast..it will come back on quicker..

Joyce
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It is possible, I went to the Doc in late Oct he told me I had to get healthy and lose some weight because of health issues I have. So Nov I started to workout 6 days a week and went on weight watchers, and for a snack or to cure my need for sugar I would drink a slim fast. I didn't join this site yet, so I was going at it alone, at the time. I was down 20 pounds from Nov, Dec, I came to mfp in Jan. I have since lost another 11 pounds. So from Nov to now I have lost a total of 31 pounds. I started at 155 I'm down to 124 right now. I hope this helps.

I wanted to add my credit for my weight loss goes to Insanity that worked wonders for me. With that a good diet it worked out well.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for your replies! I'll definitely keep all of this in mind. I suppose for now I'll try to keep the 40 lb goal, but I'll be realistic and say I'll be happy if I can lose 25-30 by then.

I really think I can do it...this morning I woke up and realized I didn't want my typical bagel or cereal for breakfast...I wanted fruit! I couldn't believe I was happy with a single cup of grapes for breakfast...I think it's a sign that things are changing. :)