Running in the cold

Options
Hey guys, I was wondering.

Is it safe to run in the cold and I mean bitter cold of below 10 degrees F or colder, including windchills? I would like to run outside, but was wondering if its safe to be breathing in all that cold air while running.

Thanks.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I trained in track and field athletics, I would train in all weathers, including weather below zero. Personally, I used to find it hurt my chest and lungs. I detest the cold :sick:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My lovely friend sent me some oxfords that help (like a bandit mask....)

But it's only about -10 here today, so not sure if that's comparable coldness.
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Check Runner's World for extra info about running in the cold. There is some good info here. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-589-13389-0,00.html

In my experience, your lungs and chest can hurt if you aren't used to breathing in the cold air. But your body is able to handle it. Breathing through a scarf, shirt, mask, etc. will help mitigate the problem. Dress in breathable layers and keep your head warm. I love winter runs, but the coldest I've done is about 2 degrees fahrenheit. It was chilly!! I'd also recommend wearing a couple layers on your legs. My thighs always felt numb after the super cold runs.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I will run down to about 5F. The key is covering your face. I use a wool Buff (one of those tube thingies), put it around my face and up to where my hat hits in the back. I put my clear lenses in my sunglasses and wear those to protect my eyes (I wear contacts). I haven't tried any of the masks but I suspect they protect your face the same way. I like the Buff because it's a little extra insulation on the back of my neck.

The cold feels very different to your lungs, but I've never had a lasting effect. I'd ease into, though, if you haven't run in temps in the teens this year.

I kind of look like StayPuft Marshmallow Woman when I am out running and sometimes I even get too hot. I love the cold, so that helps.
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I run in the cold (down to about 10*F). I don't think there's any harm in running in the cold - in fact it's probably better than running in extreme heat. I think I've heard that you burn a few extra calories running in the cold because it requires more energy for your body to warm itself up. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, but it makes sense. I've also found that I'm only cold for the first 10 minutes or so. When I get home, my 68* house feels like a sauna! :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've run in temps in the single digits F, and wind chills at or near 0. Dress warm
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I dont think Ive ever run in minus ten, but last weekend was minus five. The air temp wasn't a problem on the lungs and Ive never used a snood or mask. But I find fingers, tips of ears and my knees feel the cold. So I dress accordingly.
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    Whew, my hats off to all of you running in that kind of cold! We don't get cold like that in central Texas, though I did run a race in 8 degrees one time, which is crazy cold for where I live. Then again, I love the heat and will run even into the mid 90s. I imagine running in extreme cold is like running in extreme heat - you adjust to it, figure out some techniques, and know your limits.

Obviously I don't know anything about running in that kind of cold, but I've never heard of anyone say it's harmful to your lungs. I think of all those Alaskan runners who have to deal with crazy cold and grizzly bears!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can run in the cold. No. It is not harmful to your lungs.

Dress in layers. Make sure your first layer is wicking material.

Here's an excellent video about running in the cold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've been running all winter in MN. It's been pretty cold the past couple of days. Around -2 today with wind chill -10 to -20. I was fully covered except for my eyes. It was kind of a pain b/c my nose was running so.much. and my eyes hurt a little bit. But the rest of me was not cold and it was fun actually. I feel all sorts of awesome after I finish running on a really cold day like this.
  • WanderLaura
    Options
    My husband is in the Army and they give them these things called neck gators.... I use his and it works nicely.... You should try it!!
  • DelilahFreeman
    DelilahFreeman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I trained in track and field athletics, I would train in all weathers, including weather below zero. Personally, I used to find it hurt my chest and lungs. I detest the cold :sick:

Agreed!
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Today it was - 17 Windchill, I walked 5 miles, I have a Fleece cover for my face and ears, and underarmour with a Columbia coat...worked great...almost too warm at times...make sure you do layers
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ew... running in the cold... do not like it. I just do not like to be cold though. But I have no experience in this subject. I live in the south! IT NEVER gets that cold.
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would so rather run in the cold than the hot! Dress warm and with lots of layers. I also bought what we call a "ninja mask" that covers my face and head. Stay warm, and you'll have a good time.