Did anyone lose weight just by watching their calories??? I

Options

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You can but that is epic failure in the long run. Add your work-out time as an appt. in your calendar and stick to it.

Not exactly an epic failure...Maybe it was for you, at some point? Generalizing isn't the greatest idea ever...Just sayin'
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yes

i lost about 1/2 my weight before i started exercising

i started exercising because i found myself 'wanting' to move more, the lighter i became.. AND because i was getting alot of sagging skin and wanted to try to tone that a lil... AND because i wanted to include cardio activity, at my age heart health cannot be ignored.
  • Simmie69
    Options
    Maybe epic failure was a bit exaggerated and no never an issue for me. Just trying to get the point across that you need to incorporate exercise.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I heard a quote a while back, "If you want it,you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse", there are exercise programs out there that can be done within 20 min. There are also ways to get some more activity into your day..Park at the end of the parking lot,ect.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 lb. just by dieting - very minimal exercise. I've been losing about 1.0 - 1.5 lb./week.
    I eat 1200-1300 calories per day.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Find the time....exercise is not just for losing wt but for strengthening your heart lungs and mind
  • seanus34
    Options
    yes it does work plus some sort of exercise for 30mins plus a day or starting at 3 times a week. use to be a p/trainer. but keep the heart rate up. if you have a dog take him or her he or she will love you and they will keep you company also.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    teambridgers6, I agree. I am having severe kidney problems due to heart problems (because of my obesity) and my kidney doctor instructed me to follow a low sodium, low potassium diet. the potassium part isnt so hard just requires research, but the sodium thing is hard because it means I have to cook a lot of my own food from scratch. no prepacked, little canned, frozen, etc. within one week of this diet i lost 8 lbs (and yes some of that was fluid) but i'm averaging just 1400 calories a day and forced to eat healthy, natural foods. sodiam is a killer!!
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    I will say that I lead a pretty busy life. I am a full time student working on her Masters, I work, I hang out with friends, go to study groups, and I run a chapter for a national charity which means that I also have to organize and attend all of the events in my state. However, I watch what I eat and I exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. I do Insanity, so it is a pretty rough workout, and many times I can not finish the whole workout either because of time or because my body is telling me that I need to stop before I melt into a pool of goo on the floor lol. But, the way that I look at it, at least I AM exercising, because it is better than not doing anything at all.

Bottom line is either you want to exercise or you don't. And if you do, you can always find 10-20 minutes in your day for it. I FORCE myself, no matter how tired or how sore I am to crawl out of bed, get in my workout clothes, put on my cross-trainers, pop in the DVD and get ready to make that fat cry (sweating). If you want it bad enough, you'll do it.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by watching diet, but exercise helps you look toned and not just smaller.

Try to fit in some strength training when you get home:
    squats, lunges, pushups, planks, yoga etc.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    forgot to mention in my first week blood work shows my kidney function improved from 12% to 29.6%. I am keeping sodium under 2000mg per day. that is my main focus.
  • Winner20122013
    Options
    wish i could tell you...ive been eating 1400 almost every day (not last saturday night or last night) and ive GAINED 5 pounds T.T
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    wish i could tell you...ive been eating 1400 almost every day (not last saturday night or last night) and ive GAINED 5 pounds T.T

This might depend on what those 1400 calories consist of
  • Winner20122013
    Options
    breakfast is well normal breakfast :p lunch depends....90% of the time its whatever i can find and dinner is typical american food..im back down to 255 now
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been at this since May, faithfully since June 19th though and have lost over 70 lbs without exercise...but I am going to be adding it very soon.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've tried just watching calories and I lost like a pound or two..but I would end up gaining it back. Over the long run, it really doesn't work for me so exercise is a must. I've been off the exercise scene for a while, but I'm determined to get back on track.
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am losing at a rate of about 1 pound a week by just staying within my calorie limit. I CFS and Immune Deficiency, so the amount of exercise I can do is very limited.

It works for me!

Me to!!! 1 lb a week... :)
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Exercise is needed for your heart health, and helps to tone as you lose, esp if you have a lot to lose like me, plus I enjoy exercise, it is good for making you feel good.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Did anyone lose weight just by watching their caloric intake?? I dont have time to exercise.............:(
    You go from fat to skinny fat doing that.
    And it usually leads to failure.
    Nobody ever came to me and said they had extra time on their hands, so they'd
    like to get fit.

Nobody has time.
    But everybody has time.

Here's the disconnect. People either make the time or they do not.
    Your fitness goals are either a priority or they are not.
    And if they are not, then failure is asured.

That's reality.
    Make the time.

This is so true. My best friend, who is my workout buddy is about 5'5 and probably barely 110 lbs. She is SKINNY, BUT she can't run any longer than i can on the treadmill and her muscle tone is nil. So we're about starting at the same point. She's what I'd call skinny fat.

I have a toddler, a husband, a house and a demanding job with a 45 min commute and I make time for 3-4x a week at the gym. My husband goes to the gym before he goes to work every day and I go after work. It takes teamwork and commitment for us to make that time. We're lucky our gym offers child minding services for just $5 drop-in rate, so if either of us need to we can drop our daughter off.

Sure i'd like to get off work, go home and plop down in front of the TV, but I won't get any closer to the healthier me i'm trying to be for myself and my family.

Some mornings i'm up at 4:30am so i can get to the gym for 5am, work out and be home by 7am so hubby and get his workout in. Other days i get off work at 8 and am hitting the gym at 9pm to squeeze in a workout.

You HAVE time, you just have to MAKE the time to take care of yourself.
  • Thechiplover
    Options
    Did anyone lose weight just by watching their caloric intake?? I dont have time to exercise.............:(

I always thought you had to exercise to lose weight, but my doctor told me its about 75% watching your calories and 25% exercise