switching from p90x to insanity

I gained weight with p90x, I don't even want to do it anymore, I am just brokenhearted, Im going into my forth week, at first I lost 6lb and out of nowhere im starting to gain it all back, im big, im 195lb, I really dont need to be gaining anymore... ughh so I was thinking that insanity is more for weight loss.. am I right?

Replies

• __Ang__
    __Ang__ Posts: 13 Member
    It could be you are just gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but in the long run helps you lose weight faster.

You could try adding cardio on your off days.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    195 isn't a bad weight. there's more strength training with p90x sure, but you can still lose weight while doing the program if your diet is in check. exercise is but one small piece of the puzzle. insanity is mainly cardio. the strength moves you do are body weight moves like push ups, etc. but good luck, nutrition is key

muscle does not weigh more than fat it takes up less space. a pound is a pound the world around
  • In Insanity you do burn more calories per workout, however I would not just do insanity if you are serious about losing weight. While you do burn more calories during insanity, when doing aerobic activity your metabolism is faster for 4-6 hours post-workout. When you lift weights you metabolism is faster for 24-36 hours post-workout depending on intensity. While I don't suggest doing p90 and insanity I would mix insanity with weight training 2-3 times per week. Also, lifting weights properly can reduce the risk of wear and tear injuries that could be caused by doing all of the hoping around and jumping that is involved in insanity.
    That all being said, calories in, calories out is a general rule of thumb so eating right (5-6 meals a day, high protein diet) is almost more important than the workout. The p90x and Insanity Nutritional plans are both very good, but hard to follow if you aren't good in the kitchen.

Stan Chismark
    Certified Personal Trainer
  • nvm I'll continue... lol.. Im not giving up... that would be failing.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    nvm I'll continue... lol.. Im not giving up... that would be failing.

either way, great job for you for making that commitment
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    I'd do both.

Im mixing up insanity, p90x, turbofire, jillian michael.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    I'm not seeing great results from p90x but its a good routine to keep me under control and my fitness levels are throught the roof compared to how they were 4 weeks ago, I will complete it and then move onto something else.
  • I completed p90x and I'm currently doing Insanity (3 weeks in). I can say that with p90x I didn't notice a huge difference after the first month but I noticed a huge difference after month 2 and 3. Just keep it up and don't get discouraged. If you haven't already, it helps to take your measurements and pictures every month as well as weighing in. P90x does work I went from about 220 down to 165ish. Good Luck!
  • Just an FYI for anyone: I bought Insanity and sold it to someone else. It was definitely not for me. It is a lot of football-training moves (going from standing to being down in push-up position, back to standing...) which is great if you are in somewhat good shape, but hard on the knees/joints if you are pretty over-weight. Plus, I felt horrible for the ppl that live below me...they must've thought an elephant was stomping around above them! LOL!! It would be something that I would try again given the right circumstances (being in shape already and wanting to shape and tone...and not living above someone else).
  • I believe my diet is clean, I get my protein from chicken and I eat 2 clif builder bars (very very similar to p90x bars)... I eat brown rice, veggies low fat cheese etc... I like thinking my diet is clean except that I eat 1500 cals a day... Its hard for me to eat more than that... Imma finish it and if I dont lose any weight I'll declare p90x as the worse thing I've ever done, cuz all along I could've been doing a better program...