Hi from Florida!

Options
Hi! I started last week because I need to make a change. I'm tiny heightwise but not so tiny tummywise. I'm barely 5 feet tall but I'm about 232 pounds (just lost my first pound!).

I'm 21 and an early childhood education major, which means I'm on my feet constantly, bending over, sitting criss-cross applesauce and running after kids. I also have not the greatest genes in the world and I'm prone to many types of health problems.

I've been on the heavier side since 6th grade, starved myself through 7th, got healthier in 8th, and gained more in high school. In my first year of college, I went the community college route while all my friends went straight to university. Two of my best friends moved, I spiraled into depression even worse than before and before I knew it, I'd gained around 60 pounds in the course of 3 years. I finally transferred to university last fall and am doing what I love. My eating habits were not the greatest (there's a lot of fast food on campus and I indulged frequently) and I didn't exercise.

This semester I have been taking advantage of the gym on campus (which is completely amazing and I am actually loving it) and I've been trying to watch what I eat. I know each day is a step at a time and I know it won't happen overnight, because my weight gain didn't happen overnight.

I guess that's all about me! Good luck to everyone! You're all amazing :)

Replies

• ashtonalayna
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to make a change, I'm also on the smaller side at 5'2". This site is amazing and has helped me tremendously and I'm sure it can help you too. Oh and congrats on losing your first lb! Seeing the numbers change on the scale is always exciting.
  • Tangy1966
    Tangy1966 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm back on MFP as of yesterday. Good luck with you goals!
  • evita6983
    evita6983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! It sounds like you have been on quite a life journey and that you are on the right track. You must be a strong person to go through so much so I have no doubt that you can lose the weight! Like you said, take it one step at a time, work hard and it will happen. I find having healthy snacks on hand is really helpful especially when i am really hungry and start craving the things I shouldn't be eating. I am new to MFP as well but I am really enjoying the support and determination it gives me. Take care and feel free to friend me!
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    i live in Florida also. where do you go to scchool?