Protein powder

Options

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I was just curious to know what brand of Protein powder everyone likes. i want to get some but not sure which one to use.

thanks
    I absolutely LOVED Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey, in any flavor, until I found out I have a sensitivity to whey. Great.

I am now trying to find something comparable that is also palatable. Not working out. Most taste like chocolate butt, and the consistency is sludge. I have to shudder and gag it down. As a vegetarian conscious of her protein intake, I will suffer through, but...

Anyone know of any tastier, non-whey based, not overly caloric ones I could try out? I tried Vega Sport vanilla and it was SOOOO gross. Biochem Vegan chocolate is awful, but not as bad.

Can you tolerate casein?

I believe so... I mean, it's weird that I have a whey sensitivity but not dairy... I would think casein would be similar but that didn't show up, I dunno if they test for that in food allergen testing. Will casein do the trick post-workout? I had read that it was better for nighttime. I had ON's Casein in Cookies n Cream but that has wheat in it from the cookies. (yep, sensitive to that too).
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out.. to all of those who use Optimum Nutrition...

I used to be a firm believer that it was the best. But I simply had not tried some of the higher quality options out there.

ON has definitely fallen by the wayside in recent years and has been surpassed by many companies that offer a superior product.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I was just curious to know what brand of Protein powder everyone likes. i want to get some but not sure which one to use.

thanks
    I absolutely LOVED Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey, in any flavor, until I found out I have a sensitivity to whey. Great.

I am now trying to find something comparable that is also palatable. Not working out. Most taste like chocolate butt, and the consistency is sludge. I have to shudder and gag it down. As a vegetarian conscious of her protein intake, I will suffer through, but...

Anyone know of any tastier, non-whey based, not overly caloric ones I could try out? I tried Vega Sport vanilla and it was SOOOO gross. Biochem Vegan chocolate is awful, but not as bad.

Can you tolerate casein?

I believe so... I mean, it's weird that I have a whey sensitivity but not dairy... I would think casein would be similar but that didn't show up, I dunno if they test for that in food allergen testing. Will casein do the trick post-workout? I had read that it was better for nighttime. I had ON's Casein in Cookies n Cream but that has wheat in it from the cookies. (yep, sensitive to that too).

Don't pay any attnetion to the "whey for postworkout, casein for bedtime" stuff. Those are all old gym myths that have been prove wrong time and again.

ON makes other flavors of casein that shouldn't contain any wheat. I've also heard very good things about Syntrax casein.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i like the whey protein that is on sale.

Lad after me own heart!!

I used the cheap stuff from Target for a while. Then I started to think about the fact that all it is really for is the protein (and a few of the acids for absorbtion), and most of the flavors taste the same to me anyhow. So I started to look at the ratios. The EAS was only like 60% protein by volume. Some of the GNC stuff is higher, getting into the area of 80% by volume. So I'm still trying to find a cheap one (very difficult) with a higher percentage of protein by volume.

That was absolutely no help, or even much of an answer. But there is another train of thought for you!!
  • jenniebean1680
    Options
    Hi All,

thanks

Can you tolerate casein?

Don't pay any attnetion to the "whey for postworkout, casein for bedtime" stuff. Those are all old gym myths that have been prove wrong time and again.

ON makes other flavors of casein that shouldn't contain any wheat. I've also heard very good things about Syntrax casein.

That's kinda what I figured about that stuff, but it stuck in my head somewhere so when this came up I didn't even think about casein as an alternative. I'll check w/ nutritionist and find out for sure if I'm good to go w/ that! Thanks, man! :)
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

thanks

Can you tolerate casein?

That's kinda what I figured about that stuff, but it stuck in my head somewhere so when this came up I didn't even think about casein as an alternative. I'll check w/ nutritionist and find out for sure if I'm good to go w/ that! Thanks, man! :)

fwiw, i use a sunwarrior warrior blend, which is vegan, raw, and made of pea, cranberry, hemp, and coconut proteins. i'm allergic to dairy, but the allergen tests came back negative for me too. whenever i have anything made of dairy the inside of my mouth feels like it was rubbed with sandpaper and i have some trouble breathing. no big thing ;) but the powder tastes good, is 84 cals for 21 g and has 16g of protein.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi All,

thanks

See my post about Sun Warrior Protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/473447-vegan-protein-powder-find
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi All,

thanks

Can you tolerate casein?

fwiw, i use a sunwarrior warrior blend, which is vegan, raw, and made of pea, cranberry, hemp, and coconut proteins. i'm allergic to dairy, but the allergen tests came back negative for me too. whenever i have anything made of dairy the inside of my mouth feels like it was rubbed with sandpaper and i have some trouble breathing. no big thing ;) but the powder tastes good, is 84 cals for 21 g and has 16g of protein.

Oh funny - didn't see your post before. I just got Sun Warrior Vanilla and love it so far.
  • Kittie_Kat
    Options
    I use Body Fortress chocolate whey protein from Wal-Mart lol
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been using GNC's Pro Performance Amp Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60.
    Why I like it: tastes good, mixes easily with just water, has 20 grams of protein per scoop and less than 100 cals in that scoop.
    It does contain sucralose, which I am on the fence about, it is derived from sugar, not like aspartame, but I have considered avoiding it and someone suggested Promosil, also sold at GNC, and it uses Stevia, a plant.

^^^^

I use this one too. Like it for the same reasons. I like the chocolate, the vanilla I am not that fond of.

2521768.png
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i got the chocolate. it's dreamy <3
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Natural Factors 100% Natural Whey Protein in Double Chocolate Flavor and Rainbow Light Whey Protein Energizer in Creamy Vanilla. Both taste great, not too sweet, and are high quality. They mix well in fruit smoothies which is how I use them.
  • kyle2119
    kyle2119 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition. vanilla ice cream mixed with sugar free apple juice or orange juice.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Now Foods 100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored-1g sugar, 1g carbs. 25g protein, 105 calories.

Just watch the dosage...I found that with most of the flavored types, you need 2 scoops, verses 1 scoop of unflavored. So that would make the 'price per serving' twice as much as for an unflavored version. Not to mention added sugars and carbs.

Whey Protein Isolate powders have little lactose, so it's easier for most people to digest, and is almost 100% pure protein while Whey Protein Concentrate powders are only 70-85% protein.

http://www.2buildmusclefast.com/2011/04/whey-protein-isolate-vs-whey-protein.html

also with unflavored, I have more mixing options...mix in juice, with milk, add in strawberries, or a spoonfull of unsweetened cocoa powder and some honey.
  • jenniebean1680
    Options
    Hi All,

thanks

Can you tolerate casein?

Oh funny - didn't see your post before. I just got Sun Warrior Vanilla and love it so far.

Haha, so funny, that night I went to Vitamin Shoppe for Casein (but not knowing for sure if it's 'kosher' for me, since whey's an issue), and the dude gave me a sample of the vegan warrior blend. I got chocolate. Haven't tried it yet. I did try this other stuff, Vegan Proteins+, in a smoothie today, and it was pretty good. I will give it the true test of mixing in my blender bottle w/ just water tomorrow after the gym. High hopes! Thanks for the info, guys!

ETA: I am too lazy to get off the couch ATM but I believe the serving is 120 cals and 20 gm protein.
  • speedmuffin
    Options
    I use EAS Lean 15 vanilla cream powder. Usually I make a smoothie with it:

Peanut Butter Banana: 1 Banana, 1 tbsp Peanut Butter, Milk, Powder, Ice
    Pineapple Banana: 1/2 Banana, Pineapple, Milk, Powder, Ice
    Creamsicle: Orange w/o Seeds, Milk, Powder, Ice

But you could do a lot of other things with it!
  • hhamada
    Options
    Jay Robb whey protein.
  • dani0626_diary
    dani0626_diary Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My ultimate favorite is Lifetime's plant basics chocolate... Its delicious and this is why:
    ITS CHEAP, HAS 20GM PROTEIN PER SCOOP, LOW CARB,LOW SUGAR,

With its unique complete protein profile, Life’s Basics® Plant Protein is an easy-to-digest, energy-boosting protein source for vegetarians, athletes, or anyone seeking a superior-quality protein source they can use every day*. Rich in omega 3-6-9 essential fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, Life’s Basics® Plant Protein features the following groundbreaking vegetarian protein profile:*

• Pea Protein Isolate - Brimming with vital biological value and balanced nutrition, pea protein isolate is highly regarded for its ease of absorption. Pea protein isolate is also well-utilized by the body and is not deposited as fat. Packed with amino acids, pea protein isolate may offer benefits for healthy weight management and peak athletic performance.*

• Rice Protein Concentrate - This complex carbohydrate delivers a broad profile of amino acids, in addition to naturally possessing essential nutrients like thiamin, iron, phosphorus and potassium. Life’s Basics® Plant Protein stays true to nature, using only the most sophisticated, cutting-edge methods to extract its high-quality rice protein concentrate.*

• Organic Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein - A balanced, complete source of vegan protein containing all 10 essential amino acids, hemp has achieved “whole body superfood” status for its far-reaching health-promoting properties. Hemp’s soluble fiber may help to promote healthy digestion, while its essential fatty acids have been shown to help support overall well-being.*

• Chia Powder - This exciting superfood was a staple for Incan, Mayan and Aztec cultures for it endurance-boosting and medicinal properties. Today, health-conscious masses have rediscovered chia’s power to support peak vitality! Chia’s soluble fiber absorbs more than 12 times its weight in water, which may help to promote a feeling of fullness, prolong hydration, and enhance endurance – perfect for anyone on a healthy weight management and exercise regimen.*

Does not contain yeast, corn, soy, gluten, wheat, milk, egg, whey or any artificial ingredients or preservatives.
  • Jadesmommy2003
    Jadesmommy2003 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a lapband and use protein powders to make sure I achieve at least my daily of 45 gram of protein a day. So far, I really like Cyto Sport Whey Protein Vanilla and it comes in a 6 pound bag at Costco for $39.99. One serving is one scoop, has 27 grams of protein, 4 carbs, and about 4 grams of fat. The only downside is your choice of flavor is chocolate or vanilla.
    My other favorite was the muscle milk, several of the flavors but they are more expensive, higher in carbs and fat, and have larger serving size.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Wheybolic Cookies n Creme.

Its delish. 20 g of protein per scoop.