3kg gain in a week - is this even possible?

io_ragazza
io_ragazza Posts: 23
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
My scales say it is and I'm in a flat panic - I only actually had one day of eating really bad, and the rest of the time was pretty healthy although eating maintenance instead of weight loss. And oin my bad day I ran 6 mile and spent 3hrs walking around the shops... I don't get it, I've just been crying my eyes out over the scales... :sad:

Replies

• rkwestfall
    rkwestfall Posts: 37 Member
    My scales say it is and I'm in a flat panic - I only actually had one day of eating really bad, and the rest of the time was pretty healthy although eating maintenance instead of weight loss. And oin my bad day I ran 6 mile and spent 3hrs walking around the shops... I don't get it, I've just been crying my eyes out over the scales... :sad:

Im sorry to hear that!.....Have you been doing any weight training? Not to worry...water weight can vary almost up to 5lbs in s few days too! Dont be too upset just yet .:happy:
  • Jessimicab
    Jessimicab Posts: 21
    how many calories are you eating on a daily basis?

if you arent eating 80 x your weight in calories.... your body will go into starvation mode and lower your metabolism daily. so if you killed your metabolism, then turn around and eat a bag of marshmallows for example, pretty much all of those calories will turn to fat. ... however 3 kilograms... that's ridiculous. could be that you have some food in your system still and / or bloated, plus are you using the same scale? being consistent and using a correct scale is very important

hope that helps :D
  • io_ragazza
    I have been doing weight training yes, but think it'll take longer than that to gain muscle weight... Metabolism wise, I never go below 1200 calories and because of working out am usually somewhere nearer the 1700 mark, so I don't think its that... it just seems such a lot of weight in a few days!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    if you have high sodium intake, it causes you to retain a lot of water, which weighs a bunch!

check out your sodium, I bet it was high, which is causing a water retaining issue for you. 2 days back on the right path, and that extra water weight disappears-:flowerforyou:
  • nee417
    nee417 Posts: 3 Member
    Not to be too personal but could it be related to your "time of the month"? I have easily had a gain of 5 lbs...the week before/during that time. The weight usually levels out the week after for me. Very strange and scary...but I've just learned that's how my body works.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    oh yeah, that too!
  • io_ragazza
    Lol thank you all! I'm thinking water weight too as have just finished my cycle, had more sodium than usual and drank alcohol which I don't often do... Fingers crossed it'll be gone in a few days! I'm still panicking a little as I have a slight phobia of weight gain - I sometimes even have panic attacks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    it's pretty much impossible to gain 7 lbs in a week without seriously pigging out. don't worry io, this is temporary.
This discussion has been closed.