iron...

Options
I am a pescetarian (i.e. I eat seafood, but no other types of meat) and I haven't reached 100% iron intake ever. I average between 20 and 30 percent of my daily intake so I'm probably anemic. Does anyone know of any high iron foods other than meat that I might try adding?

Thanks!

Replies

• Jessimicab
    Jessimicab Posts: 21
    Options
    im pretty sure kidney beans are high in iron... AND protein... but be careful they'r ehigh in calories too... but high in all sorts of awesome... buy them raw (suuuupre cheep) and rinse them off (dirty like potatoes) and just cook similar to rice :) keep an eye and add water as they absorb it (usually takes ~ 3 cups of water for 1 cup of beans)

* Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    * Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    * Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    * Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    * Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    * Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Foods Highest in Iron (per 200 Calories)
    PARSLEY,DRIED : 70.9mg Iron
    SPEARMINT,DRIED : 61.4mg Iron
    MARJORAM,DRIED : 61mg Iron
    CEREALS RTE,GENERAL MILLS,WHL GRAIN TOTAL : 46mg Iron
    CUMIN SEED : 35.4mg Iron
    CEREALS RTE,KELLOGG,KELLOGG'S COMPLETE OAT BRAN FLAKES : 36mg Iron
    PARSLEY,FREEZE-DRIED : 39.8mg Iron
    DILL WEED,DRIED : 38.6mg Iron
    CELERY SEED : 22.9mg Iron
    SPICES,BAY LEAF : 27.5mg Iron
    CORIANDER LEAF,DRIED : 30.4mg Iron

hope it helps :D
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Spinach too - but you have to have something with Vitamin C with it to get the iron. Strawberries, orange, tomatoes. Good luck!
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    have you ever thought of cooking in a cast iron skillet? The food you cook in the skillet absorbs some of the iron...this is safe, by the way. :smile:
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would love more ideas as well. I eat meat but I still never get nearly enough iron, or calcium either. It is so frustrating!
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Spirulina is high in iron, it can be used in milk shakes or fruit smoothies. Sometimes I just sprinkle it into some of my dishes.
    Can you eat eggs? eggs are a good source of iron.
    I also find some types of milk have iron in them and breakfast cereals like special K has about 30% to 40% of your RDI of iron.

Hope that helps

:smile:
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    thanks everyone! WholeFoods 365 Honey crunch and oats cereal has 45% iron and only 5g sugar so I think this is going to be manageable!