Do you pre-log your food for the day?

Options
I have just Pre-logged my food for the day while eating my peanut butter on toast for breakfast and I am pleased to note that I have 100 cals left over when I get to the end of the day. I am very very excited about my meals today they sound so yummy.

Do you pre-log food and does it help you or do you log at the end of the day and just hope you stay under?

Replies

• AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything except when I am going out. Out to eat I mean, not out of the house!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have done on occasion, mostly when I know what I'll be having and also want to 100% stick to it! Great way of being accountable and knowing you can't eat anything else!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Not me, but I do often preplan in my head. I'm hoping to break the dependency on numbers, so it's a good exercise to see if what I think will work, actually works!
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it as I make it but its a good idea seeing how many you have left over :)
  • lisacandygirl37
    Options
    I mostly pre-log my food, i think it helps me keep on track but i always have at least a couple hundred calories left at the end of the day that i dont use.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. I tend to already know how much I'm going to eat on a regular basis though since I'm a SAHM and can pretty much ensure that I eat the same style of things every day (i.e. oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast and something low calorie for my snacks and lunches). I tend to know that even without exercise I will wind up with about 400-600 calories left over before I've prepared dinner and dinner is never outrageously calorie heavy since I bought my food scale. I never thought I would be the kind of person who weighed her food but it honestly isn't that much more of a hindrance when you're wanting to eat properly and lose weight.
  • Trinketona
    Options
    I log as I go. The only category I log before is my dinner. I also log it before.
  • Lisa2374
    Lisa2374 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, i even pre-log mine the day before for the following day, execpt at the wkends :( i log it the following day as i know i'll be over :(
  • cathie2903
    cathie2903 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I log what I plan to eat as it keeps me on track and then I review at he end to make sure I haven't missed anything - and that I have been "honest" with my diary.

Works for me!
  • jamhamster
    jamhamster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do if I know what i'll be eating for the whole day, if not i normaly do it as and when i'm gonna eat
  • LyriByri
    Options
    I pre-log most days so I know my limits and so on. It helps me stay on track. :)
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i do if i know wat we having, but i dont do it everyday :happy:
  • I do if I know what I'm having as it helps me know how many calories I have left for snacks etc/prevents me from going over.
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did when I first started MFP, because I wasn't sure of the calorie count of some foods I planned to eat. I wanted to make sure I was sticking to my calorie goal. Now, I have a pretty good idea of what the calorie count is for most things I eat and can plan my meals throughout the day without pre-logging.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I pre log my food on a work day only. I'm so busy on those days I do not have time or access to a computer to log it when I eat it.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'll often log my lunch and snacks for during the day as I am making it up in the morning, I am not organised enough to have my evening meals planned out enough!
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've only been on here a couple of days and I pre-logged yesterday because I was working yesterday night.

Because I had everythign planned, I was able to stop myself picking whilst I worked (I'm a cook) and I was shocked to realise how often I would go to taste the food I was cooking. It might go a little way to explaining where I've been going wrong.

Not sure how I can get aroung tasting my sauces etc and eat properly and not go over my calories...

Nicola x
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as much as I can! I have general staples for lunch and breakfast so that's easy to pop in the diary and then dinner I try to put in advance as much as possible. I'm on maintenance so I'm trying to ensure I hit my calorie goal as opposed to staying under and planning always helps!
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I don't prelog. I put in food to see how many calories are in it before I eat it but I usually log as I go. I think I should start planning my meals more and prelogging them. I think I could be more successful that way - because it also plays into my lazy "well I already logged it and I don't feel like changing it, so I'll just eat what I logged" lol.
  • Luann718
    Options
    I do each meal as i go and I am 99% of the time under. I feel if you pre-log, and you go off track, you tend not to add in any "stray" snacks