Does anyone just count calories and notlofg food

Hi, I never log my food, I just add my calories. This seems to be a big negative on this site. Does anyone just log their calories?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    No, I want as detailed of a reference to look back on as possible if I need to.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566 Member
    I enter all my food. For the same reason purpleipod said, for a reference. I notice i eat a lot of the same foods too so once I enter it, it is easy to add it again later. I have also been entering recipes i use a lot so i have an accurate count of my calories and it is easy to just find the recipe and add the food at any time.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    If you don't log your food how do you know what your calories are?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    the logging has brought to my attention other things than calories. so now i watch more than my calories.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    I like logging the food, just because it keeps me brutally honest and I love how it gives me all the nutrient facts. Also at the end of each day, when it tells me what my weight will look like 5 weeks out, if I continue in the pattern of the day. This gives me the motivation I need to STICK to the calorie counting! Have to say it loud and clear again~~~~~~I Love MFP! what a wonderful way to lose weight! LOVE IT!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    No, I want as detailed of a reference to look back on as possible if I need to.

^ what they said.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    I hate to ask but if you are just logging calories are you so knowledgeable about the nutrient content of everything you eat that you are comfortable that your diet is perfectly balanced to fuel your body and your journey to fitness?
  • You've lost 29 pounds (good going) so your method of just counting calories appears to be working for you. I'm a firm believer in doing what is best for each individual and not rubber stamping everyone and everything.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    No I log, as it teaches me a lot of other things such as carbs, protein, fat, saturated fat. Think logging is sooo important. Each to their own I suppose if its working for you x
  • If I'm in a hurry, I will do just that. If I realized I ate a lot and would feel terrible looking at it seeing "Oh my gosh, I ate FOUR granola bars?", I'll just quick add those calories. c: I also do that if I make something at home and don't want to add it in to the food log here.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Here are the reasons I ALWAYS log:
    1. it keeps me accountable and aware of every bite I put in my mouth
    2. If I stop losing weight I can look back and see why... the answers are in my diary.
  • Here are the reasons I ALWAYS log:
    1. it keeps me accountable and aware of every bite I put in my mouth
    2. If I stop losing weight I can look back and see why... the answers are in my diary.

^^^This.^^^ It also gives me a sense of accomplishment when I do well, and a kick in the butt when I don't. Also, I try to keep track of my sodium and potassium, and logging everything helps with that.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I wouldn't know what the calories were until I did add it! Unless it was out of a packet and had the calories listed on it. But I rarely eat pre-prepared food. And I also monitor my protein and carbs.
  • catnap39
    catnap39 Posts: 4 Member
    I always log my food. If I know what I'm eating for the rest of the day, I log it in the morning to help me to not snack on anything apart from my planned snack food (graze box and or munchy seeds and fruit and carrot batons etc).

I also make sure I log food so that I can look back at my day and realise that I've actually eaten yummy food today and shouldn't be feeling hard done by later on! And of course, as I love food, I can kinda re-live eating it if I can see what I've had... sad but true. :flowerforyou: