Breads

Options
What is better??? Low carb bread and pasta? Or whole wheat???

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly .. only you can determine what is better for you.

Even though wheat is healthy, it can still bring on the same insulin spike simply due to the type of flour it was made from (if you see the word bleached, or white flour, put it back on the shelf).

Personally speaking, the Low Carb breads out there Im not a big fan of with the exception of one: Joseph's Low Carb Oat-bran/flax/wheat pita pockets... OH MY GAWD they are so good! They arent gummy like traditional low carb products, only 60 calories, only 8g of carbs (4g net), I have made homemade pita chips, personal pizza crust, quesadilla, gyro, regular sandwich and tortilla chips with this product and it is simply delicious!

But for me, I limit myself to one per day under medical care advice given for my individual circumstances. My body is not a fan of bread to begin with... so when I grab this pita pocket, you betcha its gonna be one helluva good meal!
  • nbarry2284
    Options
    Thanks!!! I have been very curious because I got myself in habit of eating the low carb items bc my aunt is a very sensitive diabetic so we began cooking EVERYTHIng with low carb. I just keep hearing whole wheat whole grains and didn't know if one out weighed the other! Thanks for your Advice, I'm going to have to try the josephs!!!!
  • mapdixon
    mapdixon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to eat just whole wheat stuff myself. But that works for me. I can taste a difference between regular spaghetti and wheat spaghetti now, now I really prefer angel hair whole wheat spaghetti. That's all I buy and so that's all my kids eat (with the exception for what they eat at school). I think it really depends on what works for YOU.