Walmart HRM ?

Options
I got a fitbit a few ago and really like it, but was also wanting a HRM for the activites that the fitbit doesn't pick up. I was wondering if the HRM from Walmart work very good? I have never had a HRM so I am not really sure what to look for. I was going to ask for that for Valentines day ;) lol

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I saw comments to the brand at Walmart and it wasn't a hit. The "you get what you pay for" kind of talk. The Walmart brands that I saw were about $30 and I think that was too cheap for a decent HRM. The one that I told you about, originally $99.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I got my HRM from wal-mart, not the cheapest one.. I think it was around $45? Anyway, worked great until the first time I had to replace the battery in the chest band, and then it never would work after that. So, overall, I can't recommend. :smile:
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    Thanks guys, Im am searching Ebay now :) I was afraid of the "You get what you paid for" type of thing from Walmart :\ But have seen a couple of Polar and Mio brands on ebay for a good price :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar from Target- was about 80 bucks and hasn't failed me yet. Just replaced the battery today and it's still ticking. The chest strap has been awesome too.
  • AleahTheLoser
    Options
    Hi - What type of activities does the fitbit not pick up? I am considering getting one.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would buy a Polar. I just ordered a Polar from Amazon since every review I read for them was positive.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Hi - What type of activities does the fitbit not pick up? I am considering getting one.

I don't own one, so I can't tell for sure, but I was investigating this not long ago and I decided against it. It seems - to me - to be a glorified pedometer. Basically, just a motion-sensor and an altimeter. So if, for example, you're slow-lifting weights or doing long squat holds, I don't think it's going to be too accurate for calorie burn... No heart rate monitoring at all, as far as I know. (I could be wrong, but even the website doesn't list such features). It doesn't even need to touch skin at all, from what I understand, you just toss it in your pocket or whatever and it tracks your motion. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a gimmick for calorie counting. Useful for step-tracking? Probably, but you could get a cheap pedometer for probably $5 on eBay (I have in the past).

My wife has the Garmin Forerunner 210 w/ HRM on her wishlist. I would also like the same one, but at $250-ish a piece, I'm not rushing out to get them.
  • AleahTheLoser
    Options

I don't own one, so I can't tell for sure, but I was investigating this not long ago and I decided against it. It seems - to me - to be a glorified pedometer. Basically, just a motion-sensor and an altimeter. So if, for example, you're slow-lifting weights or doing long squat holds, I don't think it's going to be too accurate for calorie burn... No heart rate monitoring at all, as far as I know. (I could be wrong, but even the website doesn't list such features). It doesn't even need to touch skin at all, from what I understand, you just toss it in your pocket or whatever and it tracks your motion. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a gimmick for calorie counting. Useful for step-tracking? Probably, but you could get a cheap pedometer for probably $5 on eBay (I have in the past).

My wife has the Garmin Forerunner 210 w/ HRM on her wishlist. I would also like the same one, but at $250-ish a piece, I'm not rushing out to get them.

Thanks!
  • MandeeSue
    Options

Thanks!

This is right it only picks up your motion..so when I am doing my MMA class and Im punching it out on the bag, unless I am moving my feet it doesn't pick up..I do like it b/c it gives you an overlook at your day of how active you was. You can also wear it at not to track your sleeping..but I can't stand anything on my wrist when I sleep. You can put it on your pants, in your pocket or on your bra (that is where I put mine) I was just wanting a HRM to get the count on my bag punches and P90X..I do like that FB and MFP link together, that is pretty neat. It also tracks your stairs you climb as well..and your dashboard where all your info goes is pretty handy too.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I was given the one from Walmart as a gift... The one with just the watch. It was terrible. Not accurate at all, as most watch ones aren't. I exchanged it for the model with the cheat strap that was about 10 dollars more, and it works great so far. I'd rather have a polar but for now the Walmart one works fine, as long as it's the one with the chest strap.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I bought one a few days ago, $40, my roommate bought the $50 one, I am returning mine he is keeping his and it isn't because it doesn't work the same as his, it is too big in diameter to read anything I guess, works good on him, won't read off my wrist. I have been trying to ask people this too! I am getting the Polar FT60 with a chest strap. The one I bought was from wal mart by the way. It does not track my exercise on the bike and it doesn't track strength training, so far the only thing it tracks is walking, but like I said it is too big to fit my wrist right so, I don't know, and the watch band fits alright on the last notch it just is too big in diameter. Good luck
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You should really shop around. Go to different sporting stores in your area. I think a main thing is to have a chest strap...I bought my HRM $130 for $29.99 at my sporting goods store because it was a crazy sale. I bought a Bowflex Precision Xt. It's amazing. I eventually want a polar, but just because of the design.

My point is that you can get a walmart price on a great brand if you take the time to look around. If you don't have the time..walmart with chest strap.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just got my polar ft7 from bodytronics. It was about $73 with shipping and I got it in less than four days. I used it twice already and love it. Easy to use.

2521768.png
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have one from Walmart, a Sportline with a chest strap. The key is you must have a chest strap unless you simply want it to occasionally check your heart rate. I am pretty happy with it. I would get a polar if I could afford it. The reality is even a HRM is an estimate. The chest strap makes the estimate better. Better yet is a HRM where you can enter your VO2 Max which I cannot do. At the very least you want one that you can put in your age, weight, and sex, so avoid Timex ones where you cannot do this.
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone..I will look more into it :)