All-inclusive vacation-help!

Options
I leave next week to go on an all inclusive vacation with my husband. Does anyone have any tips to help me maintain my weight loss while I am there? I know I won't lose weight but I don't want to gain back any of the weight I have lost since I am so close to my goal. What kind of alcohol should u drink?? Ect

Replies

• estjames
    Options
    I have heard clear liquors are better (e.g., vodka) than dark (e.g., whiskey).

Also, look for the "good" v. "bad" key words in a recipe (e.g., boiled and steamed=good, fried and scalloped=bad) you can probably Google this too.

Have fun. I am rewarding myself with an all-inclusive when I reach my goal.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I just came back for a 10 day all inclusive holiday and it was HARD! i had only lost 4-5 lbs before the trip and it took me 2 months to loose it. So i tried so hard to be "good:" on holidays. I made sure i hit the gym 5 of the 10 days for 40 min each. ( treadmill or elliptical). i tried to drink only water during the day and then indulging in my sugary margarita's with dinner and in the evening. I tried to stay away from the crap at the snack grill and make the best choices i could. i know i was over my 1200-1300 cals a day guaranteed! ( just at breakfast i made good choices but when you add it up i was double what i normally eat at home... fresh fruit, eggs) I tell ya it was HARD! next time i will be not worrying about weight at all on holiday and enjoy my trip. I found i was stressing about everything i was putting in my mouth and how it was going to impact me in the end. I want a stress free vacation, isn't that the point of going on vacation? i put on 2 lbs still in the end and it came off about 3 days after i got home, normally i put on 5. so don't worry too much and just enjoy your holiday!

sorry i had no tips for you,lol....
  • redtribe
    Options
    Just go and enjoy it. forget the calorie counting! Why pay all that money just to worry. get back on the wagon when you get home. Otherwise what is the point!!!!
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recently went away and blogged about how I stayed healthy on vacation. Here is the link:

http://lifeafterlazy.blogspot.com/2012/01/dont-take-vacation-from-your-health-how.html

It's best to hope to simply maintain your weight on vacation (but hey, if you lose weight--more power to you!!). I never drink alcohol, so I didn't write any tips about that and I'm sure that is where many people struggle to maintain their caloric goals each day... I wish I could be more help in that department.

I hope the blog post helps. Have a fantastic time!!
  • rebelo3
    rebelo3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd eat simply for breakfast and lunch, eggs and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, and then indulge in dinner. I went on an all inclusive over the summer and I found the best meals were for dinner! Remember you will also be burning calories if you are doing activities like swimming and kayaking and such!
  • lin7604
    Options
    good blog. i have to say that staying all inclusive is so much harder then the type of holiday you had. If you arn't all inclusive yes you can shop and get healthy snacks, choose healthy restaurants, etc when all inclusive some resorts are limited to what they serve and serve a lot of fried fatty foods or are isolated with nothing near them as well. so no running over the the store to get things plus in other countries that can be very very expensive.
  • dvd1
    dvd1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just go and enjoy it. forget the calorie counting! Why pay all that money just to worry. get back on the wagon when you get home. Otherwise what is the point!!!!
  • dvd1
    dvd1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Take this advice my dear.:wink:
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ileave in 4 weeks for an all inclusive vacation to Jamaica my husband and I take every year. My goal is to work out 3-4 times while I am there. I usually put on up to 5 pounds, but mostly water weight. I just know when I get back I have to get back on track to get that weight off and work on getting the remaining that I want off.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    keep your 'healthy' mind with you. when I was in lose mode I had a vacation with my BFF. I was fearful but ended up LOSING that week. Why? Because my brain was different. I enjoyed the food but found I wanted fish or chicken. WANTED it was not torture at all. I ate a salad before every meal, broiled or steamed stuff and lots of veggies.

Also, I found I wanted to walk, bike, swim.............the car sat there the entire week. I even asked for 2nd floor! :wink:

I say continue with your way of living and you will be fine.

ENJOY:drinker:
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    enjoy your vacation first and foremost!!!! Enjoy the culture, enjoy the shows, enjoy the beach. Try to get a workout in every day - walking up and down the beach is awesome!! Enjoy the foods that are available but take small portions and relax. Have a wonderful time!
  • sarahdatace
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    I spent two weeks in Crete all inclusive in August 2011. At that point I had lost 45 pounds and although I was not concerned with losing weight on holiday I didnt want to gain.

My strategy was as follows:-

Breakfast - they made fresh omlettes to order so I had a mushroom one followed by fresh pineapple/water melon/strawberries every morning.

Lunch - they had grilled chicken and grilled fresh fish every day so I had that with a HUGE salad, fruit and water.

Dinner - I allowed myself a small portion of whatever meat in sauce was on offer with loads of vegetables and a small portion or rice/pasta/potato.. I had the occassional dessert and sometimes a cheesboard but was very careful with carbs and portion sizes.

Drinks - 2 glasses of white wine with dinner and several vodka and diet cokes each evening. During the day water only.

Exercise - I swam for 40 minutes every day after lunch and we tend to walk quite a lot on holiday. I also joined in with the activity sessions - water polo, volleyball, aeorobics etc.

I had a fantastic time, felt in control and lost 3.5 pounds!!

All inclusive is tempting but it IS possible to manage it and still have a great time.

Good luck:smile:
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options

I haven't read all of the posts for this but.... 100% this I wholeheatedly agree, isn't a holiday meant to be about enjoyment?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Even when I wasn't tracking calories, I always somehow lost weight on an all inclusive as it was so easy to eat healthy as their grills and salads are so delicious.

I always chose fish/chicken for salad for lunch, and had meat and veg for dinner, and stayed away from the dessert table.

But the main reason was the extra exercise, swimming, playing with the kids on the beach, walking around site-seeing, as I'm usually sat at my desk through the day.

Go, enjoy it, and get back on the wagon when you get home.
  • mdex
    mdex Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This!

I have a Stag weekend and Honeymoon to go on pretty soon and I know I won't be calorie counting anything while i'm away!
  • kolakross
    Options
    But not calorie counting does not mean to "pig out" on everything. As others have said, keep your healthy mind-set with you and think twice if you really want something. Eat with moderation, stop when you are full and remember to enjoy your time away.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options

i agree, we work hard for our holidays, all i would do would be to try and maybe have a 30 min swim or 30 mins in the gym each day, but bleedin enjoy myself.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'd eat and drink as you like but remain conscious of your eating- don't eat just because you paid for it, eat when you're hungry, and listen to your body, not your eyes.
    If you can, get some good work-outs in, swimming or running on the beach etc. See if there's a local gym you could pop into.
    But most of all, enjoy yourself.
  • lin7604
    Options
    i think the main problem with all inclusive or any holidays is the drinks are the worst. Most of us drink slushy drinks, blender drinks, etc and those are HIGH HIGH in calories, one or two of those are enough to break anyone's calories for the day! That is wher ei fail each year, i strive to have blender drinks when away, they are so good and you just can't seem to make them as good when at home, and i have a hard time stopping at 2...