Any ideas for a lunch pack?

Options
chrren
chrren Posts: 71 Member
I've been struggling to decide what to make for lunch that I can bring to school. I used to make rice balls, but now that I've cut out white rice (brown rice isn't sticky enough for this + it takes too long to make) I'm having trouble finding suitable food. I also makes sandwiches, but having this every day can get pretty boring, I love variation in my diet.
Being a student, I'm also low on money, which means I don't have as many options.
I would love to hear some suggestions on a good (cheap) lunch pack!
What do you usually make for your lunch pack? I don't mind some inspiration :)

Replies

• sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Something quick and easy would be a quinoa or couscous salad with say feta and mixed vegetables. If you want to cut out all white grains then go for a mixed salad that contains some egg, fish or plenty of beans or chickpeas so you get enough carbs, protein and fibre for satiety. If you can warm up meals then leftover soup is a great choice ... I made a huge pot of Moroccan couscous soup with really cheap ingredients like butternut squash, carrots onions etc that will provide four meals, either by itself, with some home baked rolls or with quinoa or couscous on the side. Another great option are wraps. You can buy whole meal ones, the are low in calorie and you can fill them many ways, e.g. With avocado, salsa and grilled chicken if Mexican is your thing, or with egg, canned tuna and some grated cheese.
  • chrren
    Options
    Something quick and easy would be a quinoa or couscous salad with say feta and mixed vegetables. If you want to cut out all white grains then go for a mixed salad that contains some egg, fish or plenty of beans or chickpeas so you get enough carbs, protein and fibre for satiety. If you can warm up meals then leftover soup is a great choice ... I made a huge pot of Moroccan couscous soup with really cheap ingredients like butternut squash, carrots onions etc that will provide four meals, either by itself, with some home baked rolls or with quinoa or couscous on the side. Another great option are wraps. You can buy whole meal ones, the are low in calorie and you can fill them many ways, e.g. With avocado, salsa and grilled chicken if Mexican is your thing, or with egg, canned tuna and some grated cheese.

Wow, Moroccan couscous soup sounds good! I've always had a thing for Moroccan food.
    And I love the idea for the wraps, you can basically just pick and mix. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely making wraps sometime next week :)
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i cook up about 3lbs of boneless skinless chicken the beginning of a week ..i cut it up and use it for all kinds of things like salads, chicken with salsa and black beans, chicken sandwich..sometimes just chicken with a little bbq sauce on the side and a vegetable.

then there is almond butter and sugar free jam on a sandwich thin..mmm great for something sweet.

nonfat greek plain yogurt with berries in it

brown rice with anything ..
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Left over's my evening meal is always enough for 2 people so I split the portion and box it up for the following day- great if you've got somewhere you can reheat!
  • chrren
    Options
    I love the idea with the chicken :) !

And left overs are also always great to bring for lunch.

• deliciousappleblue
    Options
    I do a lot of leftovers, so I often cook enough to have something for the next day. In a pinch, I bring a couple hardboiled eggs, cucumber and carrot slices or whatever else I have (sometimes chicken if I have any on hand - even a chopped up chicken finger works) and salad mix. The protein from the eggs (and/or chicken) help the meal hold me over a little better than just a plain salad would, and without dressing (I hate dressing) it's low in calories. If I'm feeling crazy, I might even chop up a serving of cheddar cheese in it as well.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's super easy and yummy - for 4 portions I did the following:

1/4 large butternut squashed, peeled, deseeded and diced
    1.5 carrots chopped into large chunks,
    1 courgette, chopped into large chunks
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    1 garlic clove, chopped roughly,
    1/2 inch of fresh ginger, chopped roughly
    1 can of chickpeas
    1 can of chopped tomatoes
    1/2 cup red lentils
    3-4 tablespoons harrisa paste
    olive oil for frying
    2 tablespoons raisins, a few chopped dried apricots
    salt, pepper, cinnamon, tumeric, some fresh cilantro if available

You start by frying the onion and garlic and ginger in a bit of olive oil, once the onions are translucent, you add all the vegetables and lentils, as well as the chickpeas and chopped tomatoes, add harissa and other spices as well as the raisins and apricots. Cover with water and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and let the soup simmer for ca. 25 minutes until the chickpeas are nice and tender and the liquid has reduced a bit (thanks to the lentils, this is quite a thick soup). Once you are happy with the consistency, add fresh cilantro if available and serve!