Trusting a low point on the scale???!!

Options
Hello all!

So I had some potentially good news this morning, and I'm wondering if I should be excited or not :)

I first have to admit that I'm an every day weigher...I don't actually record more than once a week, but I like to keep track to see how my body reacts to different food choices etc. I know that we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves too often because of natural variability and how the scale often will show much higher than usual some days, and we don't want to freak ourselves out.

So now my question, what if we weigh ourselves and we are much lower than expected, as happened to me this morning (161 from 163 yesterday)? Should I think of it as natural variability and not trust it (I disregard weird high points on the scale after a night of salty food or alcohol etc.), or is there really any reason for a body to weigh less?? I've thought about the science and I can't figure our what weird thing would make me weigh less than I do (I ate my full calories yesterday).

Thanks for all your help! This is actually my first post, and I really want to know if I get to celebrate today ;)
Cheers!

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If it's your weekly weigh in day go for it and be excited and count it. If it's not, continue on with what you're doing and see what weigh in day shows.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    dehydration can cause you to weigh less. being sick, eating substantially less, or something of that nature can as well. if it disappears then it was a fluke but if it sticks around for a few days then trust it.
  • chameleon73
    chameleon73 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My scale does weird things sometimes, too. I always weigh first thing in the morning when I wake up, after bathroom, and before eating or drinking anything, and always sans clothing.

One day it'll be up a pound or more, the next day might be a pound or more less. I'm as confused about it as you are. Not sure what number to trust. I know that I definitely FEEL lighter, but am I really? Lol

So far I just go by whatever number it says on my weekly morning weighing (Monday's for me). Though sometimes I wish it still showed the same number from a few days prior. Lol
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I only track the low weights. If I'm up tomorrow, i don't log it. I continue to NOT LOG until I am below the low point from before.

When that TOM arrives, I go up 5 lbs. I steadily drop those 5 lbs + and more over the course of the week.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    This happened to me too. I got on the scales today after the gym out of curiosity and it said I was 1lb less than my current recorded MFP weight. And 1lb is a big deal to me because it take me between 1 and 2 weeks to lose that much. I'm just going to guess it was a fluke unless it still says the same in a few days.