Discouraged today--anybody else fighting this lack of real r

Options
Three weeks of calorie deprivation (but sensible deprivation), exercise every day, weight training three days a week, hard burning every weekend--and I've gone from 172 pounds to 169.4....less than three pounds in three weeks.For the first two weeks, I gained and lost the same two pounds several times before I finally dropped about 12 ounces--and that's where my weight has sat for nearly a week. I still look like a sausage in casing when I put on my jeans, and my baby bat wings haven't reduced in size one iota. Any other time in my life that I've dieted--I'd be down by at least 6 or 7 pounds at this point. I'm so discouraged.

I realize that once you hit a certain age it becomes more difficult to lose weight, but this is ridiculous. I have this same weight fluctuation (169-172) when I'm not dieting and exercising--so it really doesn't seem as if much has changed.

Anybody else fighting this inability to see actual results?

Replies

• Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is 0.5 - 2lbs per week so you're on track. Each time we lose weight we lose differently.

The weight didn't come on overnight so we can't expect it to he lost quickly. Fast weight loss isn't healthy nor is it something that usually lasts.
  • Juneaux12
    Juneaux12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, me! I'm in the same boat. But, if I am completely honest with myself, I don't track my dinner calories closely enough. If at all. I think I know how to "eyeball" serving sizes, but I'm dead wrong. I also overdo it with healthy foods like fruit. Fruit still adds calories, even if it is healthy.

I know I would be at my goal weight by now if I were just more honest with the whole process. It took a while to put this weight on, it will take a while to take it off. You must tell yourself the same thing!
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    if you're working out every day, and lifting, and cutting back calories, you may not be eating enough. your body needs time to recover and even though it is hard, a rest day (or two) a week is actually very beneficial. also, make sure that under your program options that you have all your fitness minutes planned for, this should help adjust your intake.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just had a look at your diary and as your goal is 1200 and you are exercising, you don't appear to be eating your exercise calories which is therefore taking your net deficit below 1200 which as I understand it (I'm not an expert by any means) is not recommended.

Have you tried eating your exercise calories?

B
  • sv1983
    sv1983 Posts: 23
    Options
    you are probably turning your fat into muscle.. muscle weighs more than fat dear.. do not get discouraged, we are all fighting the same fight.. to loss weight!! :)
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    YES! My story is much like yours... I think I am just now starting to see results after weeks of no change... one thing that has helped me was spreading out my meals... really not taking in less calories but eating around 300 calories 5x/ day (right now Im supposed to be doing 1500).

Also, I was not drinking water as much as I needed to.

Beyond that, I think my body just gets into standoff mode... but it cant hold onto this fat forever. Im going to win.
  • avonchik
    avonchik Posts: 106
    Options
    Dont be discouraged. Ive been at the same weight for 2 weeks. I will know Tuesday if it is 3 weeks,. But im still counting every calorie! hang in there!:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I can relate - your metabolism does slow down and change as you get older, which does make it more difficult, but not impossible. I find when I start a new exercise/diet regimen, it takes about 3 weeks before the weight starts coming off, especially if the exercise plan is fairly intense, and includes weight training. The reason is that you are damaging your muscles (in a good way), and they retain fluid as a part of the repair process. This seems to go on for a few weeks, with no significant change on the scale, even past the point when you don't feel particularly sore anymore. I then find that as long as I stick with a good eating plan and continue to work out, the scale starts moving relatively steadily after that point. For reference, I'm 45. So, hang in there - you're doing all the right things and you will start to see results as soon as your body adjusts to your new lifestyle :-)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading all the stickies at the top of this forum. You may not be eating enough. Or you may be retaining some water because increasing your exercise causes your muscles to retain water while they heal from your increased workouts. Or you may not be hydrating yourself enough. Or you may not be eating the right composition of foods for you. Some of us have to lower our carb intake, some don't. So play around with your macros. Or you're doing everything just fine. Hard to say.

It took me 3 weeks to lose 1# when I started here at MFP. I also didn't believe I was losing inches because I wasn't losing where I measured but, gosh, all of a sudden I realized that my shirts were getting quite loose. We don't always lose where we want to.

Anyway, you can control your eating and exercise plans. You can't control the scale. As long as you're doing the eating and exercise correctly, the scale will eventually cooperate.

My advice...if the scale has this much power over you, don't weigh for awhile and focus on those things you have control over.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    you are probably turning your fat into muscle.. muscle weighs more than fat dear.. do not get discouraged, we are all fighting the same fight.. to loss weight!! :)

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It is extremely unlikely that you are gaining muscle on a 1200 diet. Muscle needs a lot of calories and protein to grow.... which you don't get on such a low calorie diet.

try eating your exercise calories back. Make sure you are properly measuring everything. Ensure you are tracking everything. Eat at your BMR... this site puts most people at 1200 cals a day which is far too low for most people.
  • debra102011
    Options
    Keep a food journal and you can even add your recipes here for the calories. My down fall is not enough protein and to many carbs so I can relate.

Slow and steady wins the race every time :).
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    it can take a while. make sure you are sticking to your suggested calories and sometime you do have to modify that based on your physical activity. make sure you are eating nutritious food. you can eat 1500 calories of crap or 1500 calories of a well balanced diet. If you are already doing those things then just keep it up. The weight will come off, but it may not be as fast as you like.
  • deethinner
    deethinner Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel like this at one time or another. I too have not lost lbs like I should actually gained 3 lbs back but I still exercise non stop and watch what I eat. Age I am afraid is a big factor for me and no thyroid.
    Hang in there. That is what is so great about this we can complain when needed and be happy about what we did when needed. And some one is always here to listen to us.:flowerforyou:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Could be time to reconsider your calories and your diet, as you add activity you need to add calories, at least what MFP recommends and at least part of your exercise calories, also look at your balance, where are your carbs and proteins coming from, are they healthy unprocessed foods or processed flours and preserved meats. Just a thought
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I definitely have my days with this struggle. Thats when I get on MFP and ask for help and encouragement. You can get through this, say a small prayer to yourself and ask God for strength to get pass these feelings. Stay strong.
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Keep it up and try not to become too discouraged. I have been counting calories (what an eye opener!) and becoming more consistent with exercise (4-6 times per week) since mid- December. I'm 43 years old with a high stress, low activity job. I've lost a total of 6 pounds.

I wish it was happening for me at a faster rate but, honestly, I am starting to feel like myself again - healthier, happier and more patient. I'm relearning my own body after at least 3 years of neglect and negativity. This is a very wonderful gift you are giving yourself! Be proud of all the good you are doing. The rest will come. You can do this!
  • kayjo2
    Options
    I agree that you need to consume more to make sure your body has enough to recover from the exercise. You don't have to eat all of the earned calories...just try to net at least 1200. Don't let your body get into a rut, change things up on it from time to time! :) Be mindful of the fats in your diet, too. See if that helps. Also, like mentioned...a rest from exercise if very beneficial, too. I don't know how you're doing with water intake...you should consume between 8-16 glasses. The closer you are to a gallon the better. Not drinking enough water makes your body more prone to retain water. Also, keep track of your sodium. I'm not an expert, far from it, these are just things that I've discovered in my journey thus far. Best of luck to you!
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Dont focus so much on the numbers. I dont weigh myself often because all it does is upset me. Im young and ive been at this lifestyle change thing for ten weeks now and i think ive only lost about 8-9 pounds I work out hard and eat really clean But you know what the fact that ive lost so little doesnt bother me because ive seen such dramatic changes in my clothes and what i look like in the mirror Its not about a number on a scale its about looking and feeling your best and as long as you eat right and workout you WILL change.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you how I really feel, and I hope you're ready for it.

3 weeks is not long enough to tell how your weight loss efforts are going. If you want to do this, you have to do it for the long haul, and there will be many obstacles in your way. You should know this now, so that you won't get so discouraged next time. This is going to be HARD.

Secondly, you ARE seeing real results. 3lbs is a lot. I know it seems like hardly anything compared to the effort that you put into it, but honestly, that's what it takes, and a pound a week is aggressive weight loss in my opinion. I have never lost faster than that, and I wouldn't want to. If I did, it would come back quickly. When this weight leaves my body, I want it to stay gone.

So, I'd say, in my personal experience, it takes a couple months of doing things a certain way before you can tell if it works for you or not. I will go three weeks without losing a pound and I might even gain a couple back. Then, all of a sudden, two or three pounds drop off when I wasn't looking. It's not a steady process, especially for menstruating women. (Let's not get into details here... I'm sure you can guess.)

If what you are doing is still not working out for you in a couple months, try something different. Eat more. Do a different workout. Eat less. Whatever. Just try something different and see how it feels. If you start to feel weak, you should probably eat more. If you feel sore, you might try lightening up your workout. If you feel soft and squishy and sleepy, maybe you should step up your workouts. Just do what you need to do.

If after 6 months you still aren't losing, (which you obviously are already losing) then a doctor visit is in order, because hormone problems, like hypothyroidism are prevalent and they make your life a living hell, so it's worth getting checked out.