Lentils

Options
AntShanny
AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
Any good recipes for lentils, other than soup? I just bought a bag- but I'm not sure what to do with them! Can you just cook them and eat like a side dish? Or is soup the best bet for them?

Replies

• jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    boil until they're almost done, then saute with tomatoes (I use canned) and onions until soft. good over couscous, quinoa, rice, or just as a side dish.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This is a favorite in our house:

http://www.companyscoming.com/recipes/cumin-lentils/2009/1/639/

Also, we substitute them for ground beef and make taco salads. Drain and rinse, add them to a saucepan with an onion and taco seasoning- delish!
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Boil them in stock, mix with steamed spinach and roasted salmon fillets. Also nice with chopped veggies and diced bacon.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    www.ohsheglows.com is a great blog of a Canadian girl who eats vegan only and creates super yum recipes. Check out her recipe page for super yum lentil recipe - e.g. lentil "meat" loaf, lentil sloppy joes etc etc etc

I love lentils for the bulk, satiety, fibre and protein they add to soups and stews. I also like throwing cooked lentils into salads (especially puy lentils with feta in a mixed salad for an easy packed lunch to take to work), I have also made veggie burgers with cooked lentils which were yum.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Soak them in boiled water for 2 hours. Then layer lentils, onion and thinly sliced potatoes. Pour some veg/chicken stock over this. Bake for 1 hour and then sprinkle cheese on the top and bake for 20 minutes. Yummy, my daughter who is super fussy even loves this.
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I'm not a big vegetable eater, I'm trying to get better so some of these recipes look like they will be a good start for me!
  • deliciousappleblue
    Options
    I had a rice recipe that was basically rice, red kidney beans, chick peas and lentils all mixed together with seasoning to taste. It's amazing, but I'm trying to cut down on white rice so now I just do the recipe without it and it's like a little vegetable salad. Sometimes I add corn as well. You could also put them on a normal salad, and definitely add them to soups.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    BUMP!
  • cccpups
    cccpups Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make Mujaddara all the time - lentils and rice together are a complete protein and a healthy substitute for meat. Plus it tastes good and it's easy to make.

http://www.dedemed.com/mediterranean/mujaddara-recipe-lentil-rice-pilaf
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i just tried lentils for the first time. They kinda remind me of green peas?

I just boiled them with some rice. Then added lots of fresh cilantro and lemon juice. was actually pretty good.