Beauty Q - Legs! - girls help!

Options
Ceffy
Ceffy Posts: 235
Hi,

One for the girls I guess...

When I shave I don't get that perfect all over tone I see others with - whilst I don't have a tan, and I know that would help... i'm still a little stumped.

Its like you can see the pores, or at least the remainder of the hair down in the pores, so whilst they're smooth they don't really look it.

I used to wax but got frustrated with having hairy legs in between treatments & now I work out 3-4 times a week I couldn't go hairy for that long :noway: .

Any tips on technique / products etc?

Thanks in advance - I want to show off my new sexier legs this summer rather than hide them away!

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm responding only to bump this and hope someone can answer.

To be perfectly honest, I have very fine, very fair hair that is essentially invisible and I just use a cheap drugstore razor, no shaving cream, and I am good to go for days (sorry to all of the "normal" women out there - I know it isn't fair, but it barely grows at all!)

I don't have a tan and my skin is pasty white, but since I don't get that bumpy uneven look I don't know what to tell you. I have definitely seen it before, I just don't have any experience with it personally.
  • Ceffy
    Options
    Hey well thanks for the honesty & the bump :smile:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Try shaving with either your shampoo or conditioner, rather than soap, and don't forget to moisturize right away There are some "bronzing moisturizers" that might help with color.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Since I bought an epilator, I've never looked back. Smoother, lasts much longer than shaving and you can epilate when the hair is only a mm, so no long waiting sessions. Plus the hair gets thinner and less noticeable over time.

Also, its far less painful than waxing, and less harsh on the skin, as it only pulls the hair out, not the skin too!!

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I suck at shaving. I feel like maybe there was a 'how to be a girl' class that I missed somewhere along these years. I'll try the shampoo though!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    I suck at shaving. I feel like maybe there was a 'how to be a girl' class that I missed somewhere along these years. I'll try the shampoo though!
    I do have to admit that, no matter how many times I go over them from however many different angles and directions, I *always* miss some on my knees. I think it is because the hair is so fine - it's practically nonexistent, really - and it is too fine for wax or an epilator to "catch" on.
    Oh well.
    You can't see it anyway, unless you shine a light from a very specific angle and squint while using a magnifying glass (at least that's what my husband says)
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    it can be a symptom of keratosis pilaris.

i have this skin condition, there is no cure... lots of heavy moisturiser will help.

and sun light.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    3 words: Laser. Hair. Removal.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    3 words: Laser. Hair. Removal.
    Except that won't work if she has fair hair or fine hair.
  • ManicMelody
    Options
    it can be a symptom of keratosis pilaris.

i have this skin condition, there is no cure... lots of heavy moisturiser will help.

and sun light.

I also have this skin condition, and I experience the same thing. My friends call it chicken skin (after you pluck it of course). My arms and legs have bumps or red dots where each follicle is. It is true that a dermatologist can prescribe something to you, but I found that it didn't work well when I did it. Like she said, sunlight and tons of healing lotion will help. A lotion with a bronzer in it often catches around the bumps/red spots and looks splotchy for me, but it could be different for you.

Good luck!
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get this as well, really bugs me in the summer when I want to wear shorts at camp! I have tried all sorts of razors to no avail. I've not tried it with shampoo though.

One thing I have read, although not tried because I keep forgetting, is to shave your legs pretty much as soon as you get in the bath because as your skin soaks in the water it puffs up a bit so you don't get quite such a close shave.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Since I bought an epilator, I've never looked back. Smoother, lasts much longer than shaving and you can epilate when the hair is only a mm, so no long waiting sessions. Plus the hair gets thinner and less noticeable over time.

Also, its far less painful than waxing, and less harsh on the skin, as it only pulls the hair out, not the skin too!!

I agree! I've been doing the epilator for about 23 years now and would never go back to a razor. I think I'm now 2 weeks between usage and then only because I notice it more than others. I replaced my first one only about 3 years ago and love the newer model.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am a new epilator convert also, I have dark hair and had to shave every day if I wanted it to be smooth, but I epilate now and its finer, less and lighter, Works like a dream and as its pulling out the hair at the root, you don't get that thing you are talking about with the hair showing, You must exfoliate though, to avoid in grown hairs
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I agree! I've been doing the epilator for about 23 years now and would never go back to a razor. I think I'm now 2 weeks between usage and then only because I notice it more than others. I replaced my first one only about 3 years ago and love the newer model.

Those WORK??? Okay...I'm going to try it. And let me say, I shave every day--no problems with it and my legs look nice, mostly. I use soap and razor. My sister uses men's shaving cream and that's nice too.

For color, I use a fake bake during the early spring until my tan kicks in. I only tan my legs and arms--face and chest get SPF one million...LOL...always. I don't want to look like an old saddle. So far, so good!

Thanks for the original question and the tips, ladies!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what brand of epilator? Price? I have fair fine leg hair, will it work?
  • CoryIda
    Options
    I'd like to know this, too.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this, too.

I've got a Phillips 'beauty', but its about 6 years old!! Plus I'm in the UK. They aren't cheap but I think you should buy the most expensive one you can afford, and look for offers. There were lots on half price over xmas/Jan sales. There's a new one with a light that I might treat myself too when I get paid :bigsmile:

I've got dark, courser hair, but I introduced my blonde friend to mine, who is much fairer and lighter than me. She loves it and went and bought one the next day!

They are good for legs and bikini line. You can get smaller attachments for bikini line. Mine came with an ice pack that you can freeze before you use and rub after you epilate. But I dont think it hurts so dont need that aspect of it.

Like I say, just pay the most you can afford. Anything around £50+ is going to be good.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ceffy
    Options
    I did used to use an epilator for under arms but it hurt too much on my legs - any tips of how to stop it hurting?

Also Chocolate65 - does fake bake work without going splotchy? mousse or cream?
    I am like a milk bottle - pale!
  • Ceffy
    Options
    Oh - and thank you for all the responses- I do appreciate it!
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use Nair cream. Easiest ever. I use it maybe once every 3 weeks or so.

Apply cream to legs/underarms. Hang out in bathroom for 3-5 mins. Get in shower, scrape off hair with the included little accessory tool thing (looks like a scraper). Wash as normal. Hair gone!