Running on empty!

Options
Need to sort my diet out! Don't think I eat enough 'good stuff' to keep me going strong on long runs. If you were going on a 12 mile run in an afternoon - what would you eat for lunch? Was totally drained today! P.S I don't like peanut butter! :wink:

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is one instance where refined carbs are your friends! Enjoy them! :)
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    pasta
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I ran 12 miles this morning on empty and it worked out great.

There are two ways to solve this problem. One way is to train yourself to run on low glycogen stores by eating less carbs and your body adapts by burning a higher percentage of fat. Adaptation can take as many as 6 weeks for people. Otherwise eat a high carb diet and be dependent upon glucose to fuel your runs. If you skip a meal or otherwise eat a low carb meal prior, you will suffer during your run. I prefer the former because its a more stable energy supply, but of course it takes more discipline in your food choices. Also your peak performance may go down a little.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I was training I always tried to get my long runs in in the am bc I'd worry about running after eating for an afternoon run. You said you don't like peanut butter but what about almond butter or is it all nut butters that you're not a fan of? You could have a hummus sandwich w some veggies and cheese. Do you use GU? I would have one every 10 miles.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you're going on a 12 Mile run, you absolutely need to be refueling while you run. Do you use GU or Chomps when you run? You definitely need to load up on something with a low glycemic index before running. Eat some oatmeal before you go. It's great for you and burns slowly so you have sustained energy...but definitely take something with you because you need to eat around 45 minutes into a run and continue to refuel every 45 minutes.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I generally don't eat much before I run - but my longest run is a 10K. However, when I do eat before it's generally carbs and after I try and eat/drink protein.
  • Katemorling
    Katemorling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I was training I always tried to get my long runs in in the am bc I'd worry about running after eating for an afternoon run. You said you don't like peanut butter but what about almond butter or is it all nut butters that you're not a fan of? You could have a hummus sandwich w some veggies and cheese. Do you use GU? I would have one every 10 miles.

I'm unfamiliar with GU? What is it?
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    get some pasta and beans down ya! and a small bottle of lucozade :) now that should keep you going for some time!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Horrible tasting gels pretending to be food! They are actually really great for long runs but MAN do they taste nasty. I prefer the gunny GU or clif shot blocks.

For the OP- I don't eat much beforehand, if I do I make sure I have bathroom access... For this reason I usually do long runs within 2 hours of waking up. Carbs are your friend. I usually have a bagel and a banana beforehand and shot blocks during.
  • grinch031
    Options

Horrible tasting gels pretending to be food! They are actually really great for long runs but MAN do they taste nasty. I prefer the gunny GU or clif shot blocks.

I personally like the taste of GU packs, especially chocolate and vanilla. However I once ate 8 packs during a marathon and felt sick by the end.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I ran 11 this morning and ate a bowl of fiber one cereal, a banana, and some yogurt beforehand. Sometimes I eat beforehand and sometimes I don't. I think what is more important is that you are eating enough carbs throughout the week and keeping the supply topped off after every run. Otherwise, you eventually run low and have a bad run.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A decent breakfast, at least a couple of hours before exercise is what I do. Porridge oats take some beating, maybe combined with fruit like banana. I don't go any distance on empty after passing out twice on a ten-mile mixed route - the first time at about 4+ miles 2/3 through a section of 800 steps, then during the last mile cross-country... I wasn't out long but running more than a couple of miles on glycogen fumes is not for me..
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    For a run that long, you have the potential of losing sodium and potassium. Make sure you take something with you that replenishes those electrolytes. This is especially important if it's hot out, and you're sweating a lot.

Otherwise, all the advice here is great. Because I'm a fatty fat fat, I can usually handle quite a bit before it starts getting to me. But if you're leaner, you have to be more careful.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

There are two ways to solve this problem. One way is to train yourself to run on low glycogen stores by eating less carbs and your body adapts by burning a higher percentage of fat. Adaptation can take as many as 6 weeks for people. Otherwise eat a high carb diet and be dependent upon glucose to fuel your runs. If you skip a meal or otherwise eat a low carb meal prior, you will suffer during your run. I prefer the former because its a more stable energy supply, but of course it takes more discipline in your food choices. Also your peak performance may go down a little.

I love how this was put!

On most days I train intense on only about 200 calories (one protein shake) I think its all in peoples heads that we need to eat X amount before workouts etc.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Bananas, whole wheat waffles, bagels, blueberries, potatoes (sweet preferred) are just a few options.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think most of your fueling should be done the day before. Just eat a relatively high carb diet.

A decent breakfast and a VERY LIGHT lunch before the run.

If your fuel supplies are topped off you should be able to do 12 miles on nothing but water with no discomfort.

One problem runners have is many will eat ALMOST enough carbs every day but over the long haul the deficit catches up and they need a day or two off to replenish their depleted muscles.

Another problem is running just a little to hard day after day. That will catch up to you also and you'll have a day where you get out on the road and feel like a slug.

There are fine lines between not enough, enough, and too much.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have used GU or organic honey sticks. I have also seen some people on running forums who have used gummy bears while they are out on their run. (I have never tried this) I also like a whole grain slice of bread with sliced banana with drizzled honey.

Good luck!
  • grinch031
    Options

I love how this was put!

On most days I train intense on only about 200 calories (one protein shake) I think its all in peoples heads that we need to eat X amount before workouts etc.

Only because its a relatively new way of training, and most of us aren't conditioned to run without carbing up beforehand.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    On my long run days:

8-10am
    Chobani yogurt cup
    2 TBL half and half
    2-3 12oz cups coffee

+

11-12 o'clock
    1) lightly salted ricecake
    1) Laughing cow light
    2)slices turkey deli meat

I let the snack set for about 30 minuts then run.
    The caffein in the coffee fuels me like non other. The snack keeps me from shaking lol!

The farthest I have ran on that plan is 7 miles but, I tell ya, I could easily make it another few miles....in due time though.
    I find that eating a carb rich meal the night before, helps too. One night I made corn pancakes and the next day I rocked 7 miles like it was nothing.

Make sure you are getting your 50-25-25 in your meals
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

I whole-heartedly agree with this. You'll find as your fitness level increases, you won't need to worry as much for fueling for a run of 12 miles. My longest run on minimal fueling was 17 miles, with lots of hills. I did take in a lot of fuel during the run, but nothing special the hours leading up to it.