Running C25K NSV

Options
So I've been doing C25K (treadmill version) for a couple of weeks now (jumped into it at week 3) and yesterday was week 7 day 3. I was supposed to warm up with 5 minutes of walking, run 25, and cool down with 5. As I was getting towards the end I was thinking about how the next time I run I would have to run for 28 minutes, which seemed absolutely impossible and I have a huge fear of failing. So I decided, I'm feeling pretty good, I'll test it out and see if I can keep going, and I kept going, and I kept going... I ended up running 35 minutes before starting my cool down! Which means I ran my first 5K on the treadmill of around 34 minutes! I was ecstatic. The longest I have ever ran on a treadmill was 25-27 minutes and I upped it by 10. I've never been more proud of myself in the gym. I hope I can keep it up and start moving forward to a faster time and maybe even bridge to 10K. :-)

Replies

• beach_chelle
    Options
    Wow that is so great, I start week three on Monday and it is so encouraging to see that people are doing it and I can too
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! I start week 7 tomorrow and am SCARED to death. I thought doing 20 and 22 minutes was hard enough. But its amazing what your body can do if you stay positive and put your mind to it. I have even signed up to run my first 5K next month. Im excited and scared. I know I probably wont be able to run the whole thing, but my goal is to finish and be proud of myself. Then to complete another one at the end of the summer/fall to improve my time and hopefully run the entire thing. Great job to you and keep up the good work. :)
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I keep trying C25K, but I am older, get winded and tired really quick. I keep plugging away at it. I worked with a personal trainer on Friday........today is Sunday. I spent all day yesterday laying around because my leg muscles hurt so bad! I was dizzy most of the day, too. Is that normal? If it is, what can I do to help?

Today DH and I went to the fitness center and I did the weight machines and walked the treadmill. I just hate the pain and feeling like a total whimp! Any ideas what to do to help with that? Thanks in advance.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    that is AWESOME. congratulations. just make sure not to push your body too far to fast so that you dont get injured. but other than that you are doing great.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I keep trying C25K, but I am older, get winded and tired really quick. I keep plugging away at it. I worked with a personal trainer on Friday........today is Sunday. I spent all day yesterday laying around because my leg muscles hurt so bad! I was dizzy most of the day, too. Is that normal? If it is, what can I do to help?

Today DH and I went to the fitness center and I did the weight machines and walked the treadmill. I just hate the pain and feeling like a total whimp! Any ideas what to do to help with that? Thanks in advance.
    Think RICE:
    Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Sit with your legs up on the couch with an ice pack or two to reduce the swelling. Give your body a day of rest between workouts, especially for older people like yourself. (Pardon.)

Some other suggestions:

1. Make sure to eat balanced, nutritious meals and drink plenty of water. By this I mean, take whatever you're drinking now and double it. Potassium is good for preventing muscle cramps, and eat lots of protein to prevent muscle loss.

2. Stretching and lightly massaging. Makes sore muscles feel better. They actually make tools especially for runners to massage your leg muscles (http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Tail-Self-Massage-Tool/dp/B000V9Y9DE), but buying one isn't necessary. That's what hands (and rolling pins, if you're up for it) are for.

Good luck, and ease yourself into c25k. Don't let taking it slow make you feel like a wimp. There's absolutely nothing embarrassing about taking precaution against injury--safety first.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!