Leg pain from running

Options
So I've been running for awhile now. Well more of a jog/walk. ;) I have overcome shin splints. But I can't seem to kick this soreness I get on the inside of my legs right above my ankles. I stretch before and after my runs. Don't know if theres a stretch that can target that particular area, but I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to make this soreness go away. I'm training for a half and I would like to run it as comfortable as possible. ;) Usually after the first mile it eases up a bit. But then after my run, the soreness comes back and tends to linger. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You may need new shoes. If I'm starting to feel pain in my legs/ankles/hips nine times out of ten it's bc I've wore out my shoes. If it's not the shoes maybe you need to cross train.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yep, probably a shoe issue.

10624035.png
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just got these shoes for Christmas. However, I do plan on going to get fitted at an actual runners shoe store next month. Maybe I can ask the hubby to push it up a couple of weeks, so I can see if that is the problem. And I do cross train, 2-3 times a week. Thanks for the feedback. ;)
  • deliciousappleblue
    Options
    I had a similar problem so I went out and got my gait assessed and bought good shoes, and now when I run there's no pain at all. I also find that the surface you run on can really make a difference - even with my new shoes, running on the treadmill (way too cold to run outside this weekend) I still had pain in my shins and calves that I don't have when running outside. Maybe that issue could be affecting you as well?
  • sm423
    Options
    I had a similar problem so I went out and got my gait assessed and bought good shoes, and now when I run there's no pain at all. I also find that the surface you run on can really make a difference - even with my new shoes, running on the treadmill (way too cold to run outside this weekend) I still had pain in my shins and calves that I don't have when running outside. Maybe that issue could be affecting you as well?

I live in Hawaii, so I run outside. ;) But I'm really leaning towards it might be the shoes. So hopefully I can get a new pair soon.
  • alan_huynh2000
    alan_huynh2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Its prolly the shoes, but you can also try massaging the area with a roller pin. The kind people use to roll out dough.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had terrible pain leg pain until I got fitted at a real running store. Now my legs feel great. Best $100 I ever spent.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are actually on the inside of your shin so you could still have them. It will come from the way you are running though so I suggest going to get your gait checked. I am just overcoming Shin splints and ran for the first time today with no pain, before, during or after. I had new running shoes for christmas and they are fab. They grow half a size with me as when you run your foot expands everytime you slam it down, hence the shoes growing to compensate. They are like slippers to me so def get the shoes tested. :-)
  • sm423
    Options
    Shin splints are actually on the inside of your shin so you could still have them. It will come from the way you are running though so I suggest going to get your gait checked. I am just overcoming Shin splints and ran for the first time today with no pain, before, during or after. I had new running shoes for christmas and they are fab. They grow half a size with me as when you run your foot expands everytime you slam it down, hence the shoes growing to compensate. They are like slippers to me so def get the shoes tested. :-)

I was wondering if it would still be considered a shin splint. The pain just moved from the front to the side. But good news, I convinced the hubby to get me new shoes, so I really hope that helps out.