Am I the only one that doesn't like counting calories?

Options
Hey MFP people, I get a lot of inspiration from reading this board and I love that so many of you have made dramatic changes. I see that many of you use the calorie counting so effectively, and to be honest it baffles me! I want to learn how to think about this the right way so it can work for me.

I hate counting calories, as a rule. If I'm running out of calories, but I'm still hungry, then I feel like I still have to eat, so knowing it's over just makes me feel guilty. It's hard to plan meals based on how many calories they have. I can't keep numbers in my head all day (remembering how many I had for breakfast and lunch so I can have xyz for snack) because I have a very poor memory, so I have to pull out the app every time I want to eat something. I feel so limited, ineffective, and discouraged when I try to count calories. I'm not sure exactly what my hold up is, but I KNOW it works for so many of you so can you share any secrets? How do you *think* about the process so it keeps you going instead of discouraged? How do you stay in your goals without spending an hour a day figuring it out? Have you ever felt the way I'm describing, and how did you get over that sort of phsychological bump?

I'm 23, 166lbs, 5'7, and have dealt with double depression (major and chronic) my entire life.

Replies

• round10
    round10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    just plan your meals on here by calories and fat for the week and stick to it. easy.! if you dont plan what your gonna eat each day you will just eat anything and guess it.
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    First of all, I think of it as ” tracking” my calories, not counting. Recording them on your phone will get more efficient the longer you are here. Also, there is a bar code reader on the app. It is very helpful on packaged food. Pretty soon, your usual foods will all be in your log, and you can just click to add. If you are feeling hungry, and aren't already, I recommend eating back all your exercise calories. It works for me:)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, there is no secret. You just have to DO it. Sure it may be inefficient to have to plan what you eat, but unplanned eating is what got you here in the first place.

You can't lose weight without some kind of effort on your part. You may not like it all the time, but it's what you have to do.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    just plan your meals on here by calories and fat for the week and stick to it. easy.! if you dont plan what your gonna eat each day you will just eat anything and guess it.

What do you mean by planning meals on here? Do you mean making a sort of menu and entering it in the log ahead of time, then eating off of that, or is there a meal planning part of the site I don't know about? My understanding is that you just put in the foods you've already eaten.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh my God, we need to be friends. I haven't been counting calories in awhile now. See my profile because I am more about Mindful Eating. I think the focus on counting calories makes me more obsessed with food (the opposite of how I want to live my life).

~Tamie

:drinker:

Friend Me, if you want.
  • Camsdette
    Camsdette Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I absolutely felt like that when I tried calorie counting the first time. Which is why I quite counting calories. This time around, it hasn't been as bad. In fact, I've been ending up with lots of extra calories most days that I'm wondering how to fill. Exercise helps a lot because then you're allowed more calories. And of course, food choice is vital. If you're on a 1500 calorie limit, then there are just some things that you'll probably want to skip. But really, I don't think anybody exactly likes counting calories. Many people on this site absolutely love junk food, which makes counting calories a challenge, because you have to learn to make better food choices if you're going to survive on a low calorie diet. The good news is that it does get better, and you do get used to it, and eventually you won't have to think so hard about every meal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How do you usually access MFP - phone or PC?

Do you know at the start of each day roughly what you plan to eat for that day - can you log in advance, and then just fine tune afterwards?
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a meal total instead of a day total. So, one thing I try to do is keep my meals at a set number of calories and my snacks at a set number. My snacks are usually at or below 100 calories. My meals are normally in the 350 calorie range. (this changes depending on my exercise - but I know before the meal what I want my calories for that meal to be) So, try and think of you have X number of calories for breakfast and find something within that range. That might be easier when starting out then trying to keep a tally running in your head.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I have a strange way of looking at it, and this will not work for everyone, but I started by seeing it as a project or experiment, and it just sort of stuck that way with me. I am a trial and error type of person, so looking at it that way really helps me stick with it. I even weighed several times a day the first few months, to spot patterns in my daily, weekly, and monthly fluctuations. I became obsessed with seeing what I could do to make sure I got a loss each week (and always making sure I ate at least 1200 calories!), and predicting how much the loss would be.
    Then I added exercise into the equation and experimented with eating vs not eating my calories back. (Eating them back is definitely the way to go.) Just a couple of days ago I decided to increase my calories from 1200 to 1850, and now I'm experimenting with that. I don't focus as much on the end result, but on day to day results. What seems to make me retain water, what seems to energize me, and what makes me feel tired or less energetic.

I focused on everything EXCEPT the fact that I had 50 pounds to lose and it was going to take a long time and a lot of hard work to do it.
  • anberlingasm
    Options

What do you mean by planning meals on here? Do you mean making a sort of menu and entering it in the log ahead of time, then eating off of that, or is there a meal planning part of the site I don't know about? My understanding is that you just put in the foods you've already eaten.

There's no meal-planning section, it's just entering it into your log before you have it. You can add your foods daily, after you've eaten them, or add them a week ahead like a plan. Planning can make you stick to your calories more easily but it depends on whether or not you like to be spontaneous. I don't tend to log for the week to come because I want to eat what I fancy on any given day (within my calorie limit, of course).
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I try and make sure I eat lots of good stuff loads of fruit and veg, low or fat free yoghurts, and try and fill myself up with that as much as possible. I make sure that each of my meals is AT THE VERY LEAST one third fruit, salad or veg (ideally half) and snack on fruit inbetween meals if I'm hungry and another biggy for me is that I do eat when I'm hungry. I love my food so there is no way I'm going to starve myself for anyone. Eat when you are hungry but eat the right things. I dont plan my meals around calories, I just put in what I have eaten that day, going over your calories by a few if you are still hungry and reach for some fruit or fat free yoghurt isn't against the law! Oh, and try and drink lots of water.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my full day's worth of meals the night before. I count snacks too. At first it was hard because I didn't quite know how much I needed to feel full but still be in my calorie zone, but now I've gotten it down to a bit of a science. Also, if you're really hungry and you used your calories, opt for a snack that is healthy like carrot sticks. If you're not hungry enough to want those, you aren't really HUNGRY, just having a craving.

I feel like I'm eating more in volume now than before. A handful of chips is waaaaay more calories that more filling choices! You can check out my diary if you'd like to see how I'm staying full at around 1200 calories. I don't always eat back my workout calories. Sometimes I do. It just depends.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a general number in my head and I did loose 10lbs but, once I started keeping an accurate count I gained most of it back. I realized some days I was eating too much but mostly I was eating too little. Not having an accurate number kept my calories way low, I was always hungry and figured it was supposed to be that way. Calorie counting is the only way to get an accurate number and even then it can be off by a few hundred or so depending on what you eat, how you cook it, and the accuracy of the nutritional info Since keeping an accurate count my weight loss has been steady and I have never gone back up more than a pound even when taking brake. Take a brake if you get stressed over it. Sometimes counting can be frustrating and exhausting so every time I feel overwhelmed I take a week or two to maintain. It takes longer to reach your goal but you keep your sanity.

I have spend months finding what works for me and since doing so I can know what I have left in my day and not track until the end of the day. Or I put in all my snacks and breakfast then see how much I have for dinner and don't track that until bed time. You don't have to track every day, some people don't. Just understand it takes a while to find what works for you.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. Maybe don't think of it as counting, think of it as tracking. Think of it as an objective way to keep track of what you are eating. I think you can learn a lot just by tracking your intake without even worrying about going over or under your goal, if that part stresses you out. Although I try to "stay in the green", I do usually eat when I am hungry and if I go over my goal, I just go back and look to see where I could have foregone some calories here and there during the day. Try to approach it without judgement and see it as one more tool in your toolbox. I also don't think you have to do it throughout the day -- although it might not be as accurate, you can fill it in at the end of the day. Personally, I enjoy doing it because I find it interesting, but I try not to attach any emotional importance to it, if that makes sense.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I hate counting calories, but I hated being fat even more.

Counting calories has allowed me to see just how much I used to eat and enabled me to make better choices. I certainly don't plan to do it forever, but I will for at least a year so I know I have good habits established and a good idea of the calorie content of my food.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I actually like counting calories. It's kind of like a game for me.
    That's just how I roll...
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've always disliked it UNTIL MFP. And, I've also done something different this time. I started looking for food that would fit into a reduced calorie life. But I like to eat, so I had to come up with meals that really, really satisfy me. And, I love chocolate, so I make sure to incorporate it every day. ( I did give up some things -- I rarely drink soda any more).

Now, I think I eat a greater volume of food now than before (I"ve lost 32 lbs total). The key is to find what works. I now drink fruit smoothies...it's easier for me to get my fruits this way. I eat a bigger breakfast and smaller lunch/supper. My snacks are now things like 1/4 cup of almonds with 1 Tablespoon of semisweet chocolate chips.

I also have read the book "Volumetrics" and "Eat More, Weigh Less" (sounds impossible right?) and my latest favorite "The 400 Calorie Fix."

I've redesigned what and the way I eat. I had to stop thinking "diet" and think health instead.

My favorite part of tracking food is the report of your food. At the end of the day, you can see if you have too much sodium, not enough protein, or how much sugar you've consumed. It's a fantastic tool.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I hate counting calories and just can't do it. Occasionally I will for information purposes, but not as a means to manage by daily intake of food.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't like counting them when I am running out! :wink:

Jest aside, I joined because I follow WW and, while their plan has helped me to lose weight and lose weight well, loss is somewhat inconsistent - I thought tracking calories as well might help me to understand, week by week, why the results are different and whether the balance of foods I eat is right. It's early days yet but it seems as though combining the two is making me more successful :bigsmile:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    When I first started I didn't like to count calories. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but here I am 40 days later and it has become a habit I look forward to. Here is what I do. Every morning I plan my meals and snacks out after I get my exercise done (so I know how many calories I am allowed with exercise). I enter my meal plan into my MFP diary. I have quite a food base built up now, so usually its just a matter of a few clicks. I fill in my meals first, then my snacks around the meals depending on how many calories I have remaining. I try to split up the calories in my meals equally but sometimes that doesn't always work and my breakfast is the lightest, lunch is a little more and dinner has the most calories (this is just me and how I prefer to eat). Some days it is even but not always. Then I print out my diary (there is an option on the bottom of the diary screen) and then I have it to reference during the day if I forget. I have a bad memory, too! I have found that printing it out helps a TON. Also it is nice to have records, I have started a food diary binder that I keep all my past food diaries in. Its nice to look back on when there is a problem, or to see trends in your weight loss compared to your eating. Yes it does take me about 20 minutes in the morning to fill out my diary but it is well worth the time for me to plan it all out. (especially when I lose weight every week!)

Hope that helps some!