Do I need to drink water?

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Your body needs water, not coffee, not soda, not juice. Water.

Crap.

Coffee, soda, juice are all 99% water. Your body doesnt need PURE water at all. Just water.

Here we go again!

You need the equivalent of 8 cups of water a day on average, from any source. These sources can be pure water/tea/coffee/juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg etc. It does NOT have to be pure neat water!

That's fantastic, and I don't care. Pure water will always be better and healthier than coffee, soda, and juice. No one is arguing the water content in coffee.

That's fine then! You keep on drinking your copious amounts of water, and peeing out 50% of it every hour as it's excessive. Im just stating that neat water is not some magical fat burning liquid, it wont have any effect by itself on weight loss drinking, certainly not an effect that other liquids wont have, as long as you watch the cals etc.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Up until a few months ago.. i hated water.. never drank it only when I needed a quick drink for a pill or something. I decided that was my first step in the right direction.. I drank Diet Pepsi all the time... I completly cut that out, and now.. I ONLY drink water. I started out buying a cute cup that I could bring it places.. work, shopping.. anyplace. And always filled it before I left... seamed the more I drank, the more I wanted it! I have coffee every morning.. but drink water the rest of the day. I also love the new Mio flavor adders... another thing if your anti-water!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I lost 16 pounds in high school by adding about 2 liters of water a day to my unchanged diet...seriously. Take it from someone who's lost 85 pounds--water is GOOD for weight loss. I drink at least half my weight in ounces...I think some people have mentioned that already.
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes I would say drinking water will help you lose weight. Not because it's magic, but because your stomach is filled with water so you'll feel fuller faster (and therefore eat less).

All I like to drink is water and green tea. I've nixed my pop affinity years ago (I still have it once in a while).

I also agree that there is a TON of water in the things you consume daily, so don't feel bad if you don't get 8 glasses in.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I'm finding that I just don't drink much water in any given day. I have two cups of black coffee (no cream/sugar) in the morning, and then barley any liquid throughout the day. I'm not sure why...just not terribly thirsty. Any thoughts about if drinking my 8 glasses of water a day will increase my weight loss?
    wow. really?

YES! every single living cell in your body NEEDS water! You need to train your body to drink water. i carry around a 24oz Camelbak that i refill at least 3 times. and that's aside from my two cups of herbal tea that i drink.

you. need. water.

You. dont. need. NEAT. water.

Just water in general, which comes from a whole host of sources.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think this whole "you must drink 8 cups of water daily" thing is just ridiculous and another example of how we overcomplicate things and don't listen to our bodies. If you are thirsty, drink. If you are not, don't. What you drink is probably more important than how often and how much. Drink clean. Avoid poisons and impurities. For those of you that force feed water and are sure it benefits you, good for you. It probably does even if it's just the placebo effect.
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I suspect that like most diet/exercise advice the science behind 8 glasses a day is pretty dubious - but commonsense suggests that drinking a reasonable (but not precisely defined) amount every day is a good idea (and no, coffee doesnt count). Good for the bowels, amongst other things - and what can be nicer than well-behaved bowels? What I do - when I am organised - is drink a small plastic cup of water on the hour every hour. I mark off on the plastic cup to show myself how much I have drunk. Keep doing that all day and you end up drinking plenty
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My father has never had a glass of plain water in his life.

He's 83.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    WATER HAS NO CALORIES= REPLACE IT WITH THINGS THAT DO
    Many people have lost a ton of weight by taking out those 4 cans of soda a day.

Drinking water is essential for weight loss!! It helps flush out the bad toxins in your body. I never drank water, and its still hard for me too. BUT here's 2 things I did to help remind me. But don't be discouraged if you step on the scale and see you weigh more, its water weight!!! Only weigh yourself once a week! Your weight fluctuates because of this!

This is what i did:

Took my weight, 185lbs divide by 2, = 92.5 (this is the amount of oz water my body should have daily)
    To make it easier then I used to drink 16 oz bottles of water, so 92.5 divide by 16 = 5.7 (this is how many water bottles)

I would put out 6 water bottles on my counter or bring them with me and just finish them by the end of the day, before meals, just pick it up and try!

This only worked for a few months, so I went out and bought a 20 oz nice water bottle that I take with me everywhere now, I try and drink it before my classes (im in college) and before meals. Works great so far! Much cheaper too because I got one of those 5 gallon jugs you can refill for 39 Cents or whatever at the grocery store.

Another tip I just realized while at work, if you drink with a straw somehow i take down water much faster. :)

Goodluck!
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    http://timeforfitness.com/?p=352

Read this article!!! It's eye opening!!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Not only will you feel better, you will look better. Clearer, more vibrant skin, hair and nails is one extra benefit of staying well hydrated. Coffee, soda, juice doesn't count. Plain H2O. Eight 8 ounce glasses a day.
    If you don't like water or have a hard time getting down 64 ounces a day try little tricks like...
    Buy a pretty wine glass to drink from...it makes it seem like a special occasion.
    At any rate...give it a try for one week and see how much better you feel.

Cheers!
    :drinker:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's kind of a no brainer.
    Drinking water is good all around.

Just do it!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that I just don't drink much water in any given day. I have two cups of black coffee (no cream/sugar) in the morning, and then barley any liquid throughout the day. I'm not sure why...just not terribly thirsty. Any thoughts about if drinking my 8 glasses of water a day will increase my weight loss?
    wow. really?

YES! every single living cell in your body NEEDS water! You need to train your body to drink water. i carry around a 24oz Camelbak that i refill at least 3 times. and that's aside from my two cups of herbal tea that i drink.

you. need. water.

You. dont. need. NEAT. water.

Just water in general, which comes from a whole host of sources.

people don't drink enough water. yes, food contains water, but using that excuse leads to people still not taking in sufficient amount of water to thoroughly hydrate a body.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I am the same way, could have wrote your post. I really need to get better with drinking water

I am the same but I am trying. I am doing the zero calorie flavored water thing and tea. Trying to get my fluids in. IDK why I am just not thirsty...
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's funny, but sometimes if I feel hungry, I am really thirsty. Water takes away that hungry feeling. I used to drink very little but I feel much better when I do. Of course I pee a lot more, too (-:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I would say yes because it's an important thing for your body. I know some say that its ok if you drink juice or coffee or soda and thats the same as drinking a glass of water but I don't think so. i dont have any scientific reason to say that I just feel that those other drinks go further away from water nutritionally if that makes sense.
  • bloodguilt
    Options

Our human body contains anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on our body size. To function properly, the body requires between one and seven liters of water per day to avoid dehydration; the precise amount depends on the level of activity, temperature, humidity, and other factors.

Most of this is ingested through foods or beverages other than drinking straight water. It is not clear how much water intake is needed by healthy people, though most advocates agree that 6–7 glasses of water (approximately 2 liters) daily is the minimum to maintain proper hydration.

Hope this helps. :-)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    your body actually needs water to function properly
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I suspect that like most diet/exercise advice the science behind 8 glasses a day is pretty dubious - but commonsense suggests that drinking a reasonable (but not precisely defined) amount every day is a good idea (and no, coffee doesnt count)

Why do you think it doesnt count?

As for tea/coffee being a diuretic, so many people just spout that word as a reason, without actually understanding what "diuretic" means.

di·u·ret·ic (d-rtk)
    adj.
    Tending to increase the discharge of urine.
    n.
    A substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine.

Neat water is also a diuretic. The diuretic effect of caffeine is far, far outweighed by the actual water in the tea/coffee. Also, regular consumers of caffeinated beverages will build up a tolerance to said effect, eventually reaching the point where caffeinated drinks provide practically the same amount of hydration as a cup of neat water will.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/06/14/caffeine-does-not-dehydrate/

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm

http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2011/04/surprise-caffeinated-tea-does-not-dehydrate-you/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html

http://www.sharecare.com/question/does-caffeine-dehydrate-not

http://www.artofdrink.com/2009/12/caffeine-in-coffee-does-not-increase-dehydration-during-hangovers.php

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5552790&page=1#.TrQWc0O5_oo

It hydrates just fine.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try drinking the water when you're hungry (your stomach rumbles)... Alot of times it's your body telling you that you are "hungry" for water, rather than food.

Not only is that another way to get your water in, but it could make you eat less.

**Also, I agree with HMonsterX... Water is water... It's just like adding lemon or crystal light to it (using the comparison to coffee)... Now if you were counting Soda (coke, etc) I could understand you not counting it... Even Seltzer, tho carbinated, can be counted as water!