8 Reasons to do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

Options
Here are a few reminders why HIIT works!
http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit

1. Efficient workout
2. Increased Fat Burn
3. Improves Heart Health
4. Doesn't require equipment
5. Encourages weight loss, while retaining muscle mass
6. Increases your metabolism
7. HIIT workouts can be done anywhere
8. Challenging for beginners or experts

So how often do you incorporate HIIT in your weekly workouts? For me, I do it for most of my workouts. I am working out 4X a week, and 3 of those are focused on HIIT.

Replies

• bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to work out with a personal trainer who was a big advocate of HIIT. I broke my leg in August and have to ease into high-impact activities but I'm hoping to get back into HIIT soon. I joined a group on Facebook that posts a new HIIT workout 6 days per week, one for people with access to a gym and one for people who work out at home with limited or no equipment.
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can you please give some example workouts? I'd like to try to incorporate HIIT into my workout regime. Here are some examples of exercises I like: swimming, jogging, eliptical, stationary bike.
  • bluehenjen
    Options
    Here are some examples. You can do all of these at home, no equipment needed. If you're not sure how to perform an exercise (like a Burpee), there are examples posted on YouTube.

You can also Google "plyometrics exercises" to get some additional ideas.

Workout #1:
    On the minute for 20 mins complete the following:
    10 pushups
    15 situps
    20 squats
    Your rest cycle is the time that you have left before the start of the next minute. The faster you complete the reps the longer your rest!

Workout #2:
    Tabata (20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest repeating for 4 minutes)
    Complete each of the following exercises in Tabata fashion (4 mins each for a total of 16 mins):
    Chair dips
    Crunches
    Side Lunges
    Decline push-ups

Workout #3:
    5 rounds for time:
    5 Burpees
    10 Squat jacks
    15 Mountain climbers
    20 Scissor kicks

Workout #4;
    For time:
    46 bicycle crunches
    46 chair dips
    46 crossfit situps
    46 Spiderman pushups
    46 Reverse crunches

Workout #5:
    Each of the 4 exercises will be done for 50 sec followed by 10 sec rest. Complete the cycle 3 times for a total workout time of 12 mins.
    Sumo Squat Knee Up
    Dive Bombers
    Step Up - Left leg
    Step Up - Right leg
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll try workout #1 today! I like that I won't need equipment.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love tabata!

I can only manage 2 1/2 minutes at the moment, but I hope to be able to do the full 4 minutes in the next couple of months.
  • Stephaniededeyan
    Stephaniededeyan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HIIT is all I do with my trainer. I do no cardio at all, zero nada zilch. People are always so confused when i tell them. The two main reasons I do it is to burn fat but also to build lean body mass to increase my basal metabolic rate, meaning I will burn more calories just living on a daily basis.

My trainer deemed this important for me cause I'll never ever be one of those ppl who hit the gym 5-6 days a week, so we have to be as effective as possible. Also during midterms and finals, which is basically my life, I can't waste study time at the gym i'll be way too stressed (yes yes i know it's supposed to relieve stress, doesn't work for me). So in periods where I'm not exercising as much as usual i won't pack on the pounds at a fast rate as would be if i were a runner who just stopped running.

My trainer uses cross fit a lot as an inspiration for my workouts. I do the "girls sets" a lot. Hope you'll get some ideas.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/13_03_Benchmark_Workouts.pdf
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Agreed, need to do this more!!
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've been doing HIIT for about a month 3x times a week and I do Tabata 2-3x a week. I love both of these and the amazing results I get from them.
  • JVanDam77
    Options
    One of the reasons I LOVE Turbo Fire! I work harder and burn more calories. I am averaging a 2lb a week loss doing HIIT. :bigsmile:
  • bluehenjen
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll try workout #1 today! I like that I won't need equipment.

You're welcome! Don't get disheartened if you can't complete a workout. Even when I was working out 3 times a week with a trainer, I couldn't always complete them! I'm just getting started with HIIT again and sometimes I'm sucking wind after 40 seconds. But I'm definitely improving and I can already see the results!

Again - do what you can but don't worry if you can't do an entire workout. Push yourself but don't hurt yourself!
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples. You can do all of these at home, no equipment needed. If you're not sure how to perform an exercise (like a Burpee), there are examples posted on YouTube.

You can also Google "plyometrics exercises" to get some additional ideas.

Workout #1:
    On the minute for 20 mins complete the following:
    10 pushups
    15 situps
    20 squats
    Your rest cycle is the time that you have left before the start of the next minute. The faster you complete the reps the longer your rest!

Workout #2:
    Tabata (20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest repeating for 4 minutes)
    Complete each of the following exercises in Tabata fashion (4 mins each for a total of 16 mins):
    Chair dips
    Crunches
    Side Lunges
    Decline push-ups

Workout #3:
    5 rounds for time:
    5 Burpees
    10 Squat jacks
    15 Mountain climbers
    20 Scissor kicks

Workout #4;
    For time:
    46 bicycle crunches
    46 chair dips
    46 crossfit situps
    46 Spiderman pushups
    46 Reverse crunches

Workout #5:
    Each of the 4 exercises will be done for 50 sec followed by 10 sec rest. Complete the cycle 3 times for a total workout time of 12 mins.
    Sumo Squat Knee Up
    Dive Bombers
    Step Up - Left leg
    Step Up - Right leg

awesome thanks for posting these, I'll try them!!
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    HIIT is all I do with my trainer. I do no cardio at all, zero nada zilch. People are always so confused when i tell them. The two main reasons I do it is to burn fat but also to build lean body mass to increase my basal metabolic rate, meaning I will burn more calories just living on a daily basis.

My trainer deemed this important for me cause I'll never ever be one of those ppl who hit the gym 5-6 days a week, so we have to be as effective as possible. Also during midterms and finals, which is basically my life, I can't waste study time at the gym i'll be way too stressed (yes yes i know it's supposed to relieve stress, doesn't work for me). So in periods where I'm not exercising as much as usual i won't pack on the pounds at a fast rate as would be if i were a runner who just stopped running.

My trainer uses cross fit a lot as an inspiration for my workouts. I do the "girls sets" a lot. Hope you'll get some ideas.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/13_03_Benchmark_Workouts.pdf

This so true. If people want to and enjoy spending hours in the gym doing steady state then fine but I like to get in there get my HIIT done and get out. I'd rather do others things than steady state cardio.

I have the same policy for my weights too. My workouts don't last more than 40 mins 3x per week. I work with maximum intensity with good form incorporating progression.

Not eating the calories is far easier than slogging for hours in the gym!
  • armybeauty84
    Options
    Checkout bodyrock.tv they have amazing HIIT workouts that will guarentee results! That site is my workout bible :)

16870813.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Bump

Also, tibata? Did I even remember to spell that correctly? Screw it.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Is CrossFit an HIIT program?
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I used to do this at least once a week, but things got busy and I haven't done it for a while. Will make it a priority again!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bu
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    mp
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do turbofire, so 3/4 times a week, 3/4drills on longer cardio