HRM Watches?

Options
I have a HRM Watch, clearly not as nice as the Polar FT60, which I want really bad! I apparently have a very small frame under all of the 65 lbs I have lost so far and the watches hurt me because they are bigger than my wrist. I couldn't figure out why for days it would not give me my HR and would give my roommate one every time? Then he suggested putting it up higher on my arm and trying it there, and I got an accurate number? This is uncomfortable and kinda frustrating, and my question would be, would the Polar FT60 bring the same problems? Thanks for any help

Replies

• Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's still just a watch, and you can replace bands for smaller ones.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do realize that, and thanks. The watch itself does not fit, the band can be tightened to fit but the watch hurts my wrist bones, the watch itself is wider than my arm is right there, and I am by no means underweight, I am 5' 1" 137 at this point, still actually 7 lbs overweight. It is the smallest Watch (Not band) that I can find. Thanks for your input
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Any HRM that comes with a chest strap will be more accurate, it doesn't have to be the fancy Polar ones if they're out of your budget. I got my Nike one at Costco a few years back for $50 and love it. Most of the machines at the gym will pick up on it's signal, too. Wrist ones will never be as accurate as ones with a chest strap.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    Any HRM that comes with a chest strap will be more accurate, it doesn't have to be the fancy Polar ones if they're out of your budget. I got my Nike one at Costco a few years back for $50 and love it. Most of the machines at the gym will pick up on it's signal, too. Wrist ones will never be as accurate as ones with a chest strap.

Thank you and does it track calories burned during strength?
  • 139pilotwife
    139pilotwife Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I know the Polar FT4 & FT7 do count calories-I was trying to decide which one to get as they both count calories.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    I know the Polar FT4 & FT7 do count calories-I was trying to decide which one to get as they both count calories.

The way I understand it is that they count strength training too, which is what appeals to me, but if it works the same as the one I have now it will never fit my wrist? I really want one though, so I am gonna keep researching. Thanks for the help everyone, more info is never bad
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT4 today! I have small wrists unlike any other part of my body, so I hope not to have any problems. Thanks for the feedback and info everyone.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and the watch part to me is small. The band is more of a plastic feel and not like a regular watch band. It comes with a chest strap that can fit anyone from medium to xxl. I really like it so far and it tracks how long you train for, calories burned, heart rate, if your in your heart rate zone. I was worried about the chest strap but I just tuck it under my sports bra and it does fine.

The display is a little under 1in and 1/2 and fits nice. The only thing is getting used to the stiffness of the band, but it keeps it in place, which is nice.

Forgot to mention, mine was $79.99 with free shipping. I don't live close to any of the stores that sell it. :)
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    This is what the watch that I have now looks like on my wrist and it hurts my wrist bones, and it won't get my HR, if the Polars have a chest strap I may have to go with them?

Sorry, the picture posting I have not gotten down yet
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is that they count strength training too, which is what appeals to me, but if it works the same as the one I have now it will never fit my wrist? I really want one though, so I am gonna keep researching. Thanks for the help everyone, more info is never bad

With the chest strap, you just need to have the watch in proximity of you. You could attach it to a bra strap or belt loop, doesn't have to be on your wrist since there's no sensor in it.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

they are not very good for weight training, just not accurate enough.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT4 today! I have small wrists unlike any other part of my body, so I hope not to have any problems. Thanks for the feedback and info everyone.

You don't actually have to wear the watch, providing you have the chest-strap and wearlink thingy on, the watch could be in your pocket, or nearby, it should pick up the signal from the chest-strap.

To the OP, I don't think HRM are very accurate when it comes to counting calories during strength training, I think a bodyfit is better for that.
  • scottishhighlander
    Options
    I have the ft60, got it last week, it comes with a chest strap and watch, which send your heart rate wirelessly. The watch itself has 16 adjustment slots so will handle tiny to huge wrists. But as others have said, the watch just needs to be in proximity of the chest strap, so you could have it in a pocket for example and it will still work
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I think probably on all of them no matter what I will have to use the chest strap. I don't know how to explain what I mean by too big, but the band fits fine on mine, on the very last notch but it fits, but the watch itself (I guess I will say the face) hangs off both sides of my wrist? And this is why it hurts my wrist bones. I tried to send a pic, but I still haven't figured that part out. But if you put a 50 cent piece over the face of the watch the watch is smaller and if you do the same with a quarter the watch is bigger. that is my problem I guess

But thanks every one, my question is answered and I will be getting the FT60 with the chest strap, because it is the one I really want. I sincerely thank all of you for you help and input.