Just overheard this conversation...

Options
Coworker #1: I don't know why I'm so hungry
Coworker #2: Aren't you on a new diet? What did you have for lunch?
#1: I had a Snickers and a Diet Mountain Dew.
#2: Well no wonder you're hungry! At least with the cabbage soup (diet she's currently on) I can eat a lot.
#1: It's all the calories I can have, so I just have to wait for dinner.
#2: Oh, I didn't realize that was the kind of diet you were on.
#1: Yeah, it's the same one that she is doing [points to my cube].
#2 & #1 to me: How much weight did you lose just counting calories for portion control?
Me: slamheadondesk :noway:

Sigh. I kind of want something to throw at them! :explode: How can I even begin to explain where they're going wrong without saying something offensive?

Replies

• TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just explain to them that YES you are counting calories but that isn't the end of the diet. You are also eating "healthy" foods along with exercise.
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think that's probably a conversation that happens in MANY offices. I know when I was counting "points" I would eat bad stuff as as long as it fit into my points range. But now I am being healthier doing it on my own!

I think that's what you need to explain to them. Also that you're not "dieting." You are changing your ways to improve your health. That's my big thing. I don't want to be diabetic, especially if it's preventable. I made bad choices for too long so now I have to make the hard decisions to say no to things that will prevent me from being healthy. Like an all you can eat taco bar, haha.
  • flumpybutt
    flumpybutt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Perhaps pointing them gently to this website might give them the heads up of what they are doing wrong? Lol bless them!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    That's an AMAZING conversation. :noway: I would gently explain to them, that the key to not being hungry is to chose LESS CALORIE DENSE FOODS...like not candy bars. LOL! She could have had a salad with chicken breast and a jello chocolate mousse for the same as that candy bar...but not be hungry....and drink lots of water. The artificial sweeteners will make her crave more food!
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just remind people I'm not on a diet...just limiting my calories and portions at the moment to lose a few pound. It is actually a lifestyle change...making the decision that I'm going to eat HEALTHY foods like lean meat, fruit, veggies and such for the rest of my life regardless of the portions...because I got tired of felling like crap and my weight going up and down with eating all that junk! Oh, and yes I exercise...but more to release stress so I don't bite someone's head of for being stupid! Okay, so I don't call them stupid to their face...I just think it! ;)
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    People are foolish. Counting calories is the most logical way to lose weight there is. I hate the diet scams that are out there. Take this pill and you will lose weight. Eat this way, no protien, no carbs, only one item, and God knows what else there is: you will lose weight. The only things that will truly work are eating a balanced menu and moving your body. Sorry for getting on my soapbox.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Simple...tell them its not a diet. It's a lifestyle. Diet is the regular pattern of nutrition intake. 'Nough said.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    When people ask "what diet I'm on", I say the "get off my butt and move diet". My co-workers are doing a biggest looser comp right now and everybody is doing some kind of crazy diet. However, the people who are loosing the most and who are the happiest in the process are the ones going to the gym 3-4 nights a week and just eating healthier. I LOVE this site, because I don't have to think about it too hard. I know the values of the things I eat most often, I still get a sweet little something once in awhile, and I can plan for the days when I need to conserve calories for later.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had another agent follow me through the office saying "no seriously, what are you taking to lose so much weight?" When I explained to her I've changed how I eat and reduced calories she accused me of having lap band since I've lost so much in 'such a short time'. :huh: I pointed out I started in June, so it hasn't been a short time and she got huffy with me about it. Geesh, people :grumble:
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    People are foolish. Counting calories is the most logical way to lose weight there is. I hate the diet scams that are out there. Take this pill and you will lose weight. Eat this way, no protien, no carbs, only one item, and God knows what else there is: you will lose weight. The only things that will truly work are eating a balanced menu and moving your body. Sorry for getting on my soapbox.

^^^This! People ask me what diet I'm on. I tell them I'm doing it the old-fashioned way of eating healthier with old-fashioned portion sizes & exercising.

I always say it in a way that makes it sound as though it is the newest, greatest thing & once they realize what I'm saying the look on their face is absolutely pricelsess! :devil:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A while back I read something on here about a similar situation, the other gals really wanted to know what the other gal had been eatting because they were starving on their diets. She took pictures of her meals and snacks for a couple days and showed them. Their responses were along the line of ... you're eatting all that and losing weight??
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Simple...tell them its not a diet. It's a lifestyle. Diet is the regular pattern of nutrition intake. 'Nough said.

It's astounding how many people I know that just don't get this.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to just continue to let them see what I'm eating and doing just to hope something sinks in (they see my 2 snacks & lunch M-F, plus they see my gym bag 2x/week). If either one approaches me seriously asking for advice, I'll definitely help, but currently their attitude doesn't seem very open.

I'm feeling a bit like I can lead a horse to water but I can't make it drink any...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you should have said 'no, i'm not on a diet, just trying to follow a healthy lifestyle'

i have tried to explain to friends many many times that eating all your cals in chocolate wont get you the results you want due to the nutritional value, or lack there of. there is only so much you can do...!!
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    O my goodness it was painful reading I can only imagine having actually heard it!
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A while back I read something on here about a similar situation, the other gals really wanted to know what the other gal had been eatting because they were starving on their diets. She took pictures of her meals and snacks for a couple days and showed them. Their responses were along the line of ... you're eatting all that and losing weight??

That's a good idea, I like it.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    :laugh: She just walked by my cube carrying a bag of doritos and a diet mountain dew.
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    :laugh: She just walked by my cube carrying a bag of doritos and a diet mountain dew.

:noway:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oh wow the cabbage soup diet. That's OLD SCHOOL. I did that one at least 12 years ago. Lost a few pounds and of course gained it all back.

We have a coworker that occasionally asks my husband and I "You guys still doing calories?" As if it was a diet. Like what's the alternative? Shoving stuff in my pie hole without paying attention?