Jillian Michaels is Overrated

A lot of people had great things to say about Jillian Michaels, so I bought three of her DVDs: 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and Yoga Meltdown. I've done the first two, and I am not impressed!

Here are my complaints:

Her form is terrible on many exercises (during the side kicks and back kicks in BFBM, she looks like a constipated donkey).

She has no rhythm (she will count off the beginning of an exercise, and somehow mess it up to where there is an extra little pause, which really throws me off), and no consistency (the V-ups or pike raises or whatever she calls them in BFBM go from double time to half time between sets).

Also, in the 30 Day Shred, I feel like the duration of the strength training exercises is just wrong for most people. By the end of the squat and presses, I am dying, but I could do several more of the chest flies and the all the ab exercises. While the 3 minute strength, 2 minute cardio, 1 minute abs formula is catchy, I don't think it's the most efficient.

So what do you say? Am I missing something? I'm not trying to discount anyone's results if they have seen success by following these DVDs, I just think that there must be better options out there.

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    I don't like her or her dvd's. I think her attitude stinks and I didn't feel motivated or anything when trying to do her workouts.

I feel far more motivation when doing Zumba or something like that.

I don't think her workouts are worth it and I think she's nothing but a sellout looking for big bucks.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    I personally don't listen to her after the first watch of the workout as I know what I'm doing so turn it to music only in the menus.

Doing 3 minutes of strength will burn more calories than the cardio as you're working multiple muscles, hence why you feel you're going to die. The 30 second bit of the strength workout is supposed to bring your hear rate down a little for example the chest flies. If you feel those are easy, is it possible for you to add more weight? The more weigh, the harder they will be.

And the abs is supposed to be the "resting" part of the the workout whilst still working your core and keeping you moving.

It may sound like a load of tosh but pretty much everyone who has used her DVDs has seen great results so she's doing something right. Try to stick with it for the 30 days and see what you think then.

Try watching the girls behind her too. They tend to work harder and have better form throughout.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Each to their own. I love her and have found great results, but if you dont like her then try something different. Its important you enjoy whatever you're doing. I tried Bob Harper's Yoga for the warrior and it was great!!!
  • MamaChunk
    MamaChunk Posts: 46 Member
    Each to their own. I love her and have found great results, but if you dont like her then try something different. Its important you enjoy whatever you're doing. I tried Bob Harper's Yoga for the warrior and it was great!!!

Me too. I just started her ripped in 30, and i love it. It's supposed to be hard, that's how you know it works. Plus she's not supposed to be polite, she is being honast. "This is what it takes to wear those strapless dresses..." she may not be nice, but she's right, and that's what i need to hear, so it's perfect for me anyway.
  • burntoutOH
    burntoutOH Posts: 6 Member
    I totally agree... I tried the 30 Day Shred, for a plateau buster, after I already lost 50 pounds and was super tiny... and my god, I did not like it at all... my knees and ankles were KILLING me, and I thought I was in good shape already!
    Not to mention her "encouragement" was enough to make me wanna puke my brains out... Yes, Jillian, I know, these abs don't come for free, which is why I'm spending the time working out to your dvd, not to watch you act like a total hardass
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    I detest listening to her but her workouts are great - the 30 day shred kicks my butt and without fail I will see my weight go down much quicker while doing it. It is only 20 minutes long and that is perfect for me as a busy mom. Like I said I cannot stand her voice so I just mute it and turn on some music.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    I love her dvd's. As someone who is often short on time I can get a good workout in 30 minutes. They have been very effective for me!
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    I've tried many different DVDs and fitness classes and I love Jillian's workouts. But, each person is going to react differently to her style. I, for instance, do not like Zumba and TurboFire, and I don't like trainers that are "peppy"....I want a trainer to yell at me, but that's just how I personally get motivated. I'm always dripping sweat after her workouts.

So, if you aren't a fan of her workouts, I'd just sell the DVDs and try something new! Good luck
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,210 Member
    I really like it, I like her anyway but the exercises work well for me, I don't want to dance around my living room - I go to belly dancing for that :wink: . I've gone from dying in the first day - aching through days 2-4 to feeling good and stepping up the weights in in day 7 and 8. I must say I still can't do 'proper' push ups but I can do better 'girlie' push ups now and am working on my form more also sets of 5 rather than struggling to put 2 together (yes I hate push ups its official).

the Ab work I do need to catch my breath so am always grateful (never thought I'd say that) to hit the mat for abs, but am also seeing progress and making it all the way through now.

So 1 week in I'm happy. I don't pay full attention to her form or talk now - I'm not skilled enough to criticise her, but she makes me work hard from start to finish and for that I'm grateful. I add more stretches and 25 mins of static bike after to extend my workout. I tried the bike as warm up but the jumping rope thing sitll kills me so bike comes after now. lol
  • I didn't "click" with her either. I gave away the dvds and found other instructors that I liked.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Everyone is different! I've gotten great reults with all of her workout DVDs and am currently doing her newest program the 90 day body revolution and love it so far! She can get annoying sometimes, but I feel like she can get me motivated and I push myself so I can't complain!
  • I haven't tried the DVDs but I did buy one of her books quite a few years ago and after reading it totally made sense but it was way more advance than where i was at the moment.
    I remember in the book she talked about how no one needs supplements but then a few years ago she sold her soul to the devil and now has her name on supplements. At that point I lost respect for her
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    30 Day Shred, though a good workout, was nasty on my knees. I had horrible knee and hip pain after doing it for 10 days straight.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    The only thing I do like about her is she's a hard *kitten*. But I was never drawn to any workout DVD or the classes at the gym, especially Zumba...to me that's probably the corniest class out there. Then again, like everyone has said...everyone likes different things. So whatever keeps you motivated, that's all that matters.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    I have most of her DVD's 30 day shred is not my fave. I do like Ripped in 30 though. 6 week 6 pack is a great workout and I have seen results.
    I like her workouts so much better then anything on exercise TV.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Different strokes for different folks - not everyone is going to love the same workout or trainer. Personally, Jillian's DVDs are what helped me finally knock 20lbs off my 40-something body, so I don't find her overrated at all. Through her workouts I learned how to push myself, what sort of workouts I like and what I don't (not all her DVDs are my favorites, there's a couple on the shelf collecting dust).
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Her DVDs work for ME. The 30 Day Shred re-shaped my entire body.
    That being said, to the person who mentioned her positioning for some of the moves: you are right about that!

I was not a newbie to exercise, trainers and the terms so I could jump right in with her. If you ARE new, she might not take enough time with positioning and some of her Ab cues are missing some important tips to get the most out of the move.

Other than that, I find that she motivates ME~ or maybe I'm just scared that she'll find out I skipped a day and make me "gargle my heart"!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    she's HOT! if she wasnt, she would be a trainer in Iowa
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I have not done any other workout DVD's. And I was an unfit couch potato. So what did she offer?
    She is well known enough because of Biggest Loser to get me to try it, I don't know any of these other fitness people who market their DVDs.
    The 30 Day Shred was a short duration workout 25 minutes, I could fit that in my schedule.
    Did not cost a lot.
    Did not need a lot of equipment.

So, I guess for me she is not overrated because she got me off the couch and I believe now I can do it. To go from couch to working out 5-6 days a week is monumental, especially at my age.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    She's popular because a lot of people have found success with her $6 DVDs which can be found at Walmart. She's an effective trainer, and she's famous because of the Biggest Loser show.

I haven't bought her DVDs because I think she's mean on TV and that does not motivate me. I also saw her advertising some sort of "cleanse" and I didn't think too highly of her for that.

She does seem to write well and she has interesting theories on metabolism, but overall, she's a character on TV to me. I can't take her seriously.

Personally, I'm a huge Chalene Johnson fan, because she encourages me and makes me feel like I can do anything if she asks me nicely. I also love my local Zumba instructor because she has that same high energy attitude that tells me that I am awesome just for giving it a shot.

Trainers who yell or have the drill instructor attitude just make me angry and rebellious, and that doesn't do either of us any good. I much prefer trainers who act like cheerleaders and make me feel good about getting off the couch.