How to get enough protein?

I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet. I'm supposed to be eating about 200 g per day but most days I don't even half it. Just looking for suggestions/recipes for how to reach this amount in a day.

P.S. I don't have access to protein powder where I live. But if I have to I'm gonna have to try sourcing it.

Replies

• JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Try egg whites, beans/peas/leafy greeen veges/Brocoli, kale, spinach, callalo; tofu (if you like that) If you cn get Quinoa where you are that is an excellent source of protein and you can make a salad with that adding garbanzo beans, sweet peppers, cilantro and lime juice. And of course lean meats. :flowerforyou:
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    I am eating about 4 egg whites a day, hard boiled, then throw out the yolk. Its not exactly delicous but it is high in protein.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    200g seems a lot - what diet requires that?

I find fish to be the easiest protein for lowest cals - edemame beans iff you can find them, but it'd be hard to eat lots of them.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Thanks a lot! Just trying to mix it up because I feel like I'm eating the same thing every day.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Chicken, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, steak, fish
  • jamaicanlady
    200g seems a lot - what diet requires that?

I find fish to be the easiest protein for lowest cals - edemame beans iff you can find them, but it'd be hard to eat lots of them.

Fish? Thanks, didn't even think of that (well aside from canned tuna and sardines). Not sure about the beans.

I'm doing the P90X nutrition plan and I'm in phase 1 which recommends 50% protein and 1800 calories per day. 900 calories = about 200 g of protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    tuna, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, milk is quite good too and i have been known to eat entire packets of serrano ham... which is fine as long as you're not monitoring your sodium intake!!!
  • jamaicanlady
    Chicken, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, steak, fish

I keep hearing about 1% cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Unfortunately, I can't get Greek yogurt here where I live, and the cottage cheese I see is not 1%. Can I use regular cottage cheese and plain yogurt, do you think those are good enough?

By the way, you look fantastic. That's exactly how I want to look, especially your arms. Would love to be friends so I can ask some advice.
  • burntoutOH
    burntoutOH Posts: 6 Member
    If you eat nutrition bars, I highly recommend Luna bars... I'm pregnant, and they have protein, fiber, iron and calcium (and other nutrients in them)
    and cereal wise? Kashi Go Lean cereals are great too...too bad about the Greek yogurt, in my opinion, that's a great source, and it's way more delicious that regular yogurt...
  • jamaicanlady
    Jamaica is great, don't get me wrong, but it sucks living in the country area. I have absolutely no access to greek yogurt nor Luna bars. When I go into Kingston in a few weeks I'm going to see if I can get them.