The Pacific...

Options
sinisme
sinisme Posts: 148 Member
I just wanted to say that I am excited about this new HBO series!! I watched the Band of Brothers series and WOW... I watch it each and every time the History Channel shows it!

So since The Pacific is by the same people (Speilberg & Tom Hanks) then I expect it to be just as good as the Band of Brothers series. :happy:

Replies

• beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the Pacific; Micronesia...Pohnpei and Chuuk... so we'll see! Does sound interesting!
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Oh man when I saw this was still in productive on the IMDB website a few months back.... my spine shivered! I'm so stoked for this. Band of Brothers is one of (if not THE) best tv series ever. I can't stop watching it. When it comes on tv, I have to stop doing whatever I'm doing and watch the rest of it. Its captivating even after watching it 100 times.

I don't have HBO, are they advertising a release date?

Also if you get a chance to watch Generation Kill. Its really good. The book is even better.
  • sinisme
    Options
    Oh man when I saw this was still in productive on the IMDB website a few months back.... my spine shivered! I'm so stoked for this. Band of Brothers is one of (if not THE) best tv series ever. I can't stop watching it. When it comes on tv, I have to stop doing whatever I'm doing and watch the rest of it. Its captivating even after watching it 100 times.

Also if you get a chance to watch Generation Kill. Its really good. The book is even better.

It just says "Coming 2010" !!

OMG... you HAVE to see the trailer... it gave me CHILLS!!!
    Here's the link to the trailer.. if you can get on youtube you should watch it!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClnWj11rQFY
  • xsargex
    Options

Here's the link to the trailer.. if you can get on youtube you should watch it!!!!!!

Bummer, thought it was coming out Fall/Winter of 2009. Yeah I can't get on youtube from work, I'll have to check it out when I get home. This is gonna be dope.
  • sinisme
    Options

Bummer, thought it was coming out Fall/Winter of 2009. Yeah I can't get on youtube from work, I'll have to check it out when I get home. This is gonna be dope.

Word is March 2010... it'll be 10 60 minute episodes!! :bigsmile:
  • xsargex
    Options

Word is March 2010... it'll be 10 60 minute episodes!! :bigsmile:

I was curious to, if this series was based off a book? just wondering which unit is being portrayed.
  • xsargex
    Options
    scrap that...found so more information earlier.

The Pacific is to be based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.[3] The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages.

Given the literary sources mentioned above, the series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so there!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • sinisme
    Options
    scrap that...found so more information earlier.

The Pacific is to be based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.[3] The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages.

Given the literary sources mentioned above, the series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Yep, it's going to be GOOD!
    what is it about WWII movies!?!
  • xsargex
    Options
    Oh I dunno. I made this comment to my dad awhile back. That for my generation, WWII was such a glamorized era. I say that not to undercut the casualities and lives lost. But you know, growing up, going to history class.... we were taught that it was a war about Right and Wrong, Good and Evil. Two armies pitted against each other. Clear and defined ideals. Then you factor in the lack of media invovlved and the propoganda factor...and we find that its really hard to concieve what those men went through. I think alot of the brutality and barbarism was not portrayed in alot of old movies depicting the war, so on and so forth. Not like Vietnam and even today, where we see the brutality on a daily basis, its hard not to turn away.

Then you watch movies like Saving Private Ryan (though it being a fictional inner story), Band of Brothers, and such.... people took it upon themselves to really personalize those films. You know the characters really take on a personality. You realize, "hey these were real people." Even with Band of Brothers, you see the interviews with the actual men and its like "holy crap, they lived through this." You see the emotions that they still live with even today. Its captivating.

Even as a soldier, I still find it very easy to disconnect myself from that era, because of the years gone by, the cultural differences and that alot of the facts were overlooked during my education. On my last two deployments, we watched Band of Brothers religiously. Any time I thought I was having a tough day or the weather was hot (yes it even gets cold in the desert) I think about those guys surviving in those trenches in Bastogne. I realize I'm a big pu$$y, and those men are real hero's.

Kansas City has a great WWI museum as well. Thats a war that seems to never get any recognition, next to the Korean War. You can't walk into this museum and leave, without feeling like a 500 lb bomb wasn't dropped on your head. *kitten* is intense and heavy. That had to have been some of the most intense, brutal and barbaric fighting ever in our nation's history.
  • sinisme
    Options
    You know what? I have NO idea what WWI is about? I can't remember! Im going to Wikipedia it! hahaha
  • TamTastic
    Options
    The weekend of June 12-14, I visited Gettysburg in PA. Now THAT is a place to go and pay your respects.

Just the thought of what happened. Who was fighting who and why. And the irony is that those on opposite sides were often brothers, best friends, even a former best man at a wedding....set against each other.

And it often turned out that those shooting each other...would have respect and admiration for the ones they were trying to kill. Especially the "confederates", which just seemed to have a drive and "gumption" that many Union officers couldn't help but admire. Maybe it's the spirit of where they were from.

But the thing that struck me is that the American Civil War is thought of as an "American" event........but when you stop and think about how that war...had it ended differently...would have affected the WORLD? It wasn't so much about the Confederacy LOSING (because they won many battles in that war) but more about the Union gaining an advantage at Gettysburg over the most minute detail and many lucky chances. But if the confederacy HAD won...we wouldn't be a "United States of America".........which in turn would have changed out WW 2 turned out...etc etc etc.

Gettysburg happened about 140-ish years ago....chump change in terms of the WORLD's timeline.....but wow...what significance....

And those battlefields are basically one giant cemetery of those that were hastily buried in the July heat of that battle.

If you ever have the chance to go and pay your respects.........that is a place to do it for sure. :wink: :smile:

This concludes Tam's history lesson of the day! :laugh: :laugh:
  • xsargex
    Options
    The weekend of June 12-14, I visited Gettysburg in PA. Now THAT is a place to go and pay your respects.

Just the thought of what happened. Who was fighting who and why. And the irony is that those on opposite sides were often brothers, best friends, even a former best man at a wedding....set against each other.

And it often turned out that those shooting each other...would have respect and admiration for the ones they were trying to kill. Especially the "confederates", which just seemed to have a drive and "gumption" that many Union officers couldn't help but admire. Maybe it's the spirit of where they were from.

But the thing that struck me is that the American Civil War is thought of as an "American" event........but when you stop and think about how that war...had it ended differently...would have affected the WORLD? It wasn't so much about the Confederacy LOSING (because they won many battles in that war) but more about the Union gaining an advantage at Gettysburg over the most minute detail and many lucky chances. But if the confederacy HAD won...we wouldn't be a "United States of America".........which in turn would have changed out WW 2 turned out...etc etc etc.

Gettysburg happened about 140-ish years ago....chump change in terms of the WORLD's timeline.....but wow...what significance....

And those battlefields are basically one giant cemetery of those that were hastily buried in the July heat of that battle.

If you ever have the chance to go and pay your respects.........that is a place to do it for sure. :wink: :smile:

This concludes Tam's history lesson of the day! :laugh: :laugh:

Good points. There's a great book that I can't recall the title but its a basically "What could have been" taking big events from world history and hypothetically drawing alternate realities. I tend to think about these concepts quite a bit, cause I'm a history-nerd.

I guess, my question with the Civil War is. Yes, what would this country be today if the south had succeeded. But when would it have ended? I mean, how many more battles would have had to been won, to accomplish their goal? Or who is to say that the outcome that came to be, wasn't inevitable to begin with?

It would be like saying, that Bastogne was THE turning point in WWII. Sure. The events that we know of today, in hindsight makes sense. Its not like at the time of the battle, did they think it would end up being the most pivotal. But would the line been drawn at Bastogne to begin with, if we wouldn't have made it off the beaches of Utah and Omaha? What if Japan never succeeded in bombing Pearl Harbor? Would we have won in the pacific? Would we have fought in the pacific in the first place or was it inevitable?

You could run circles around those ideas forever. Its mere opinion or atleast "falling of the cards" that the events happened the way they did. And did those events turn the way they did based off mere coincidence and chance or were they destined to be the result? Do madmen like Adolf Hitler really dig their own graves and create their own demise? Compare that to what is going on oversea's right now...we are seeing turning points in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Taliban's own infrastructure is eating itself apart. The same with Hamas and other terrorist organizations. People are finally standing up and turning on these fascist and dictatorship regimes. Is it happenstance?

Space and Time blow my mind.

EDIT:

What If.... by Robert Crowley

With essays by generalist Lewis Lapham, novelist Cecelia Holland and historians John Keegan, David McCullough and Stephen Ambrose. Def. nothing historic going on here, but entertaining to say the least.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    That's very true! And I guess if you start to think of the "what if's" surrounding the history of the world, you could drive yourself crazy at times!! :laugh:

In any war really, there are so many battles that were won by the smallest of margins and those are the things that make you think "What if!!" And if the outcome of the war would have been any different.

I was just fascinated to see Gettysburg. I have always been interested in history..but to be there..was very moving for me, maybe because I come from a military family and just appreciate it. And I love that they honor BOTH sides of that war..because it was brother against brother...and a lot of AMERICAN lives were lost fighting one another. Just a humbling place to be.
  • xsargex
    Options
    the trailer got denied from youtube....

http://www.pacificfans.com/trailer-videos

found it here...finally watched it......wow!