5k advise

Options
debmac63
debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
My husband and I are supposed to run our 1st 5k race this weekend with some friends of ours. The race is at 7 pm and the temps are being forcasted at 94 high with the humidy level being 80 to 90%.

Any advise for us 1st timers? My husband wants to back out since it's going to be so hot. Our friends ran it last year and said it's a flat race with lots of shade. Do we go for it or back out for fear of heat stroke?

I really don't want to back out since I've been walking/running since last June trying to lose weight so I could do this race. Stupid weather, stupid race people for having it in the evening.

Replies

• Water•Baby
    Options
    If I was you, I would plan on this being a 5k run/walk, not a race ... so I wouldn't worry about my time.

I did a 5k last summer early in the morning but it was humid and about 90F by the time the race ended. I pushed it at the end and wound up sick at the end. Not heat exhaustion, but I was on the ground with stomach cramps right after I crossed the finish line. Not a nice feeling.

Good luck, and maybe the weather will cool before the weekend?
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I did a triathlon this weekend by the time we got to the 5k part of the race it was hot: no breeze and no shade. Temp when I finished was 95 degrees. I did my share of walking and I still finished. It is still a 5k weather you run or walk or a little of both. Your times should be longer the warmer the temperatures are. Go have fun, carry a bottle of water with you but go have fun with your friends.

One of my goals for getting in shape is to be able to do activities like this. Look on my profile page why I want to get in shape. It isn't to look better, it is to be able to keep up. I may not be very fast but I can go the distance.

Go have fun, Everyone else will be just as hot:drinker: :drinker: and drink lots of water.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I would still go, but carry a bottle of water and take it easy. The heat takes a LOT out of you and you don't want to end up feeling sick! Good Luck :drinker:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Today when I work out (90 minute bike ride) it will be 101 with a heat index of 104. This is typical for this area of the country...so if we want to be outside we have to adapt. I would suggest wearing a runners ball cap and keep dousing it with water. If you can keep your head cool you will feel much better. Like everyone else said, take walk breaks and drink lots of water before, during, and after. Enjoy your 5K!
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Today when I work out (90 minute bike ride) it will be 101 with a heat index of 104. This is typical for this area of the country...so if we want to be outside we have to adapt. I would suggest wearing a runners ball cap and keep dousing it with water. If you can keep your head cool you will feel much better. Like everyone else said, take walk breaks and drink lots of water before, during, and after. Enjoy your 5K!

You've GOT to be living in Texas!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Yep! Gotta love it!
  • debmac63
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I will go do this 5k and probably do like you say,...walk and run.

Thanks again!:smile:
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Nothing like Texas in the summer!
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do It!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ah go on and have fun!

It's not a race, don't even think about your time.

Don't start near the front.

Have a blast and come back and tell us all about it.

:flowerforyou:
  • debmac63
    Options
    I registered my husband and I for the race last night...will post on Sunday and let you know how we did. Thanks for all the advice and support!:happy: