just ran my first 5k!!

Options
This morning I ran my first 5K in about 34 minutes...
It was a ton of fun and a great accomplishment.
I loved passing people when I was able to and being with others trying to better themselves and run for charity.
I am excited to run the 8K Shamrock Run here in Portland next months and keep building from there!

I thought this might be a good topic for people to post their first race experiences so please share!!!!

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My 1st was a Halloween run and I remember that feeling of accomplishment! Well done!!!!!
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well done !!! :D
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Can't wait until I can do my first one!
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Congrats. It's a great achievement!
    I ran my first 5K last June - 28 mins - totally flat. Worked bloody hard on 0 to 5K in 8 weeks. Ran my second in July - 29 mins - gradual up hill for 2.5K. No running for 4 months. January I started a 32 week training programme for a half marathon in September. Now up to 40mins of running. I now have the running bug but always need a challenge to keep me going out.
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    Options
    Woo hoo! Congratulations on your first 5k, with a great finish time to boot! Good luck on your next race :flowerforyou:
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's fab!

I'm doing my first race next month, it's an 8k, and I'm afraid I won't be able to run it all. I've been running 5k on the treadmill due to crappy weather, and it being dark after work... Then just as the weather improved, and I was going to get back outside, I sprained my foot, and came down with bronchitis and an asthma flare. I've been sidelined for 3 weeks!
    Today I got back to the gym, and running my 5k on the dreadmill was pretty rough. Ack!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Ohhh congrates. I'm doing my very first 5k fun run on Saturday. I'm just trying to get over a chest infection and tonsilitis now so I can do a little more training. I've signed up for a 10k in June too. xx
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!! Great job!
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k when I was 44 at a local charity race. I managed to do it in just under 24 minutes. I thought I was going to collapse at the finish ! lol ! Congratulations on your first race and best of luck to you in all of your next events !
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats - that's fantastic! You should feel so proud of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • ydeleon
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's a GREAT feeling. Although, I don't think that it ever goes away once you've been bitten by the "bug" :smile:
  • knelson422
    Options
    Way to go, you should feel really great about that!!! Keep on going!
  • naastrodamus
    Options
    Very cool. I'm in the process of doing the Couch To 5K Challenge, and it's very rewarding! Congratulations.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yay! You should be very proud of yourself! :D
    Glad to hear it was fun!!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    *APPLAUSE*
    There will be no stopping you now! - Enjoy!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Nice job, you've got to feel good

I struggled through my first one in years not to long ago and it kicked my *kitten* but it didn't stop or walk once and that felt great.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    That is awsome, weldone you! I am doing a 5k Race for life charity run in May. Training for it now, pretty scared if im honest! I might be up against some decent runners! But as they say, its not about who wins, its the taking part that counts and raising money for charity :).
  • stephmac97812
    Options
    I've never run a 5k, but just signed up for the Shamrock Run 5k. Any advice for a newbie?